Frame Rates

Hi again.  Have just tried the 2k objects and textures- I also removed all the passengers but the frame rates have not changed.  When I first reported this I was flying over the flat, empty plains of southern Somalia- barely any scenery at all.  Today, with the 2k files I was over central Ethiopia- mountainous and more demanding on the graphics card but still 17-19 FPS inside the cabin and 23-25 FPS outside. Will try removing the glass objects tomorrow.  

Just now, Steve Hunnisett said:

Hi again.  Have just tried the 2k objects and textures- I also removed all the passengers but the frame rates have not changed.  When I first reported this I was flying over the flat, empty plains of southern Somalia- barely any scenery at all.  Today, with the 2k files I was over central Ethiopia- mountainous and more demanding on the graphics card but still 17-19 FPS inside the cabin and 23-25 FPS outside. Will try removing the glass objects tomorrow.  

Log file attached

Log.txt

4 hours ago, Coop said:

You can try temporarily removing these files from the "objects" folder, let me know if this works:

• glass_ext.obj
  • glass_int.obj
  • glass.obj

Hi Coop,

Tried removing the glass objects but it didnt change the FPS drop. I even tried removing redundant G5 version objects, incase they are active as a double copy of the model.

Finally, I think I figured it out :) I was completing a flight in the evening in sim, and I notice a huge FPS increase when clock ticked 7PM. Fiddled with sim clock, and yes 18:59 my FPS droped to 11, 19:00 jumped to 20 FPS.  Exact moment the sun set. I think something about sun lighting is causing the huge drop. I also checked the cockpit lights just in case, turning them on and off have minimal effect. But the sun, probably shadow map cause 50% drop in FPS. 

I hope you can fix this issue quickly. At least I can do evening flights in the meantime :)

Edited by 0zz

Hi

Just got this today and have exact same problem with framerates as mentioned in the thread. I put in the 2K textures and tried everything else suggested above but no luck.

I have other high detail aircraft and do not see the problem arise with them.

I shall keep my eye on the forum to see if any update comes through but will not use it until perhaps a fix is possible, big shame as it does look good.

Anthony

20 hours ago, Coop said:

Let me know how that goes :) 

Hi.  Have installed the latest version of the BN-2 .  Removing the glass objects gave me an extra 1FPS!  Don't think the problem lies there...  Ozz's post looked interesting so I tried it; I couldn't get the '7 pm' effect but definitely got better frame rates after sun down- an increase of 10 FPS or so.  Curiously the frame rates for external views barely changed at all after sunset so the only increase was in the cabin.  Hope this helps...

38 minutes ago, Steve Hunnisett said:

Hi.  Have installed the latest version of the BN-2 .  Removing the glass objects gave me an extra 1FPS!  Don't think the problem lies there...  Ozz's post looked interesting so I tried it; I couldn't get the '7 pm' effect but definitely got better frame rates after sun down- an increase of 10 FPS or so.  Curiously the frame rates for external views barely changed at all after sunset so the only increase was in the cabin.  Hope this helps...

I just tried that, about 5fps increase at sunset that's all, held shift L to go through the night then it dropped to about actual 10fps shown on the fps in dead  of night.

34 minutes ago, prattpt6 said:

Strange on how some of you are getting terrible FPS....Im getting around 79-100 FPS on a 2K display with only a 1080, but that was after I removed the Realview plugin

I assume it has to do a lot with VRAM. I have an (ancient) GTX780 with 3GB VRAM. ZIBO, TBM et al work ok, but the islander is hard... Well, I'm in the final stages of researching my upgrade, 5700XT (8GB) is the frontrunner.

8 hours ago, Ch.Cole said:

I assume it has to do a lot with VRAM. I have an (ancient) GTX780 with 3GB VRAM. ZIBO, TBM et al work ok, but the islander is hard... Well, I'm in the final stages of researching my upgrade, 5700XT (8GB) is the frontrunner.

I don't think it is related with VRAM. I have dual 6GB GPUs, and having no difference between 2K and 4k textures.

Enabling and disabling Virtual Cockpit shadows makes a huge difference for me. Much bigger in BN2 than any other mod. And that is with 2048 pixels shadow map. Im not sure if the VC model has too high poligon count, or a shader issue. One thing I know BN2 VC does not seem like more detailed than TBM900 or Zibo737. Systems simulation is not as detailed as those either. It does not make any sense me getting 10-15 FPS less than those mods during day time, under same graphic settings.

That FPS issue, combined with badly tuned sounds, missing exterior lights and engine management having almost no effect on flight performance (manifold pressure, prop rpm, mixture settings, intake heater settings do feel off and have minimal impact) I got a feeling this release is an early beta, if not alpha of an unfinished product. 

To be honest, I loved the inital impressions of flying this iconic aircraft. But after using it for a while, I started noticing those small issues and they started to add up. Now, I can't help myself to compare it with my go to twin engine mods, especially Carenado B58 with rep, and AFL KA350. It fails to satisfy half as much as those mods, although I know each aircraft have different visual, acoustic, and flight characteristics. It just does not feel as alive as those aircraft. :\ 

I hope those issues will be solved asap, and the simulation rendition will be further improved.

11 hours ago, Ch.Cole said:

11 hours ago, prattpt6 said:

Strange on how some of you are getting terrible FPS....Im getting around 79-100 FPS on a 2K display with only a 1080, but that was after I removed the Realview plugin

nah, nothing to do with VRAM. I have a 1080 with many GBs to spare. However my GPU is running at 99-100% when in the interior view so there's something causing it to spike in utilization. other planes with similar stats don't do this (like the new Turbo Otter). it's a mystery!

1 hour ago, anthonye said:

You mention about turning off cockpit shadows, could you explain how you did that so I can try it.

Anthony

I set it off with the data ref tool. Changing 'disable_shadow_prep' to 1 and 'use_cms' to 0

As an alternative, you can type the two lines below using notepad, save the text file with extension .lua and put it in Resources/plugins/FlyWithLua/Scripts folder.

set("sim/private/controls/caps/use_csm", 0)
set("sim/private/controls/perf/disable_shadow_prep", 1)

24 minutes ago, 0zz said:

I set it off with the data ref tool. Changing 'disable_shadow_prep' to 1 and 'use_cms' to 0

As an alternative, you can type the two lines below using notepad, save the text file with extension .lua and put it in Resources/plugins/FlyWithLua/Scripts folder.

Well that made a huge difference, the fps has doubled now and its flyable, so you were correct something in the cockpit shadows.

Hope they now can sort it out

Thanks

Anthony

On 4/28/2020 at 2:27 PM, 0zz said:

i tried to do what you said, however my frame rate tanking seems unaffected. So I'm not sure if adding that to the flywitlua plugin worked or not...not sure how to tell

Edited by dresoccer4

20 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

i tried to do what you said, however my frame rate tanking seems unaffected. So I'm not sure if adding that to the flywitlua plugin worked or not...not sure how to tell

Easy way to test it is to see if there is any  performance change between day and night. Use Shift+K or L to cycle day night. If there is a considerable difference in FPS, then shadows are active. Alternatively, you can check the dataref values if you have DataRefEditor plugin installed. 

One thing though, if you are gonna turn off cascading shadows (use_csm) crank up the visual effects to at least High (HDR), and check that the scenery shadows are off as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have just bought the islander and it has the lowest FPS of any aircraft on my system including the zibo 737.  It is as if it has knocked the AA up a notch.....

And this is looking forward, not at the props or rear cabin.

I hope they fix this and reduce the FPS hit.......