New install, TBM 900 causes crash

PhoenixNelson

Hi,  new to the forum.  Just purchased the Hot start TBM 900.  Plane installed in proper steam folder with installer.  When I try to load a flight with the plane, it causes x-plane to close or crash. Both has happened.  Unable to load a flight.  See attached X-Plane 11 log file.  Sim run great otherwise, only have an issue loading this new plane.  

Log.txt

Hi,  Thanks for your replay.  On the website, the plane says Vulkan - does it not support the new format? Why would I want to use OpenGL when the game runs so much better using the new format.  The product is $65 American, that is $95 Canadian which is what I payed.  I will give it a go, but hopefully an update will fix this.  In the log it says it is a OpenGL error.  TBM900[helpers.c:1123]: Failed to create invisible OpenGL context: A directory service error has occurred.  Has anyone else experienced this same problem?

Edited by PhoenixNelson

I'm assuming you're new to the X-Plane world.  No developer will officially support their add ons in an X-Plane beta build. The point of beta's is for people to try them out and submit bugs to Laminar.  The TBM has been made compatible with Vulkan and Metal, but the base platform (X-Plane) is currently in an unstable beta state.  If X-Plane is crashing because of something inside the X-Plane code itself, there's not much we can do about it.  Especially if Vulkan/Metal is still unstable.  This is the reason I asked you to try 11.50 in it's OpenGL format to see if the crash continues. 

Also, the reason I asked you to check if your GPU drivers were updated, was because of that very error you're asking about.  

By all means, you're welcome to ask other people for help, but I'm one of the people who helped make the TBM.  And I look at log files every single day.  We can only do so much without sitting in front of your PC.  And it's usually a process of elimination.

Edited by Goran_M

Also...

Updates will sort it out. It may take a little while but it shouldn't be too long.

The updates may come from:

- Laminar Research, as an X-Plane update.

- AMD, as a GPU drivers update.

- Hot Start, as a product patch.

It is likely that it will need to be either LR or AMD that produce the update to bring your product to full Vulkan compatability.

The timelines of both those companies is out of the hands of Hot Start.

Edited by Ben Russell

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.  Yes, new to the X-Plane Sim and getting addons for it.  The plane loads with Vulkan turned off.  So, for now I will just go with that.  Hopefully Vulkan will be supported and be stable soon as it is so much better than OpenGL.  After looking at the log you could see the error pretty clearly.  It was trying to load something in OpenGL and failed.  I also took the opportunity to upgrade to 16GB memory as well and that helps the OpenGL a bit.

Cheers!

When a beta version of X-Plane comes out, the Laminar guys are very persistent in getting updates out until it's stable.  These updates usually come out on a weekly basis, and they normally go to a stable release candidate within 1-2 months of the first beta build release.  It's currently up to Beta 4 (5 was released but quickly pulled due to some serous issues).  Hopefully, it'll only be another few weeks before X-Plane goes to RC1 (Release Candidate 1).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Support team.

Still no resolution to this.  Plane works fine in OpenGL but not in Vulkan - crashes to desktop.  I get 30 fps using Vulkan and all the default planes work great so pretty much going to wait. Tried uninstalling and re-downloading plane as well.  Really hopeful X-Aviation will release an update soon.  I don't believe this is an x-plane issue or an AMD issue either as the sim runs fantastic otherwise.  Smooth as glass.  Is there a version of x-Plane 11 that is certified to work with your plane as of yet that actually works with Vulcan i.e 11.50?  I ask as your website clearly says Vulkan support beside the aircraft on the website.  Also, are you supporting one graphics company over another, i.e NVidia over AMD?

Where it fails during the loading sequence:

2020-05-07 01:11:17 TBM900[xplane.c:1417]: BOOT: adf_dme_init
2020-05-07 01:11:17 TBM900[xplane.c:1420]: BOOT: efis_init
2020-05-07 01:11:17 TBM900[glctx.c:273]: Utilizing shared window
2020-05-07 01:11:17 TBM900[helpers.c:1123]: Failed to create invisible OpenGL context: A directory service error has occurred.

2020-05-07 01:11:17 TBM900[glctx.c:464]: assertion "ctx->dc != ((void *)0)" failed: 

TBM900_Log.txt

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PhoenixNelson said:

Hi Support team.

Still no resolution to this.  Plane works fine in OpenGL but not in Vulkan - crashes to desktop.  I get 30 fps using Vulkan and all the default planes work great so pretty much going to wait. Tried uninstalling and re-downloading plane as well.  Really hopeful X-Aviation will release an update soon.  I don't believe this is an x-plane issue or an AMD issue either as the sim runs fantastic otherwise.  Smooth as glass.  Is there a version of x-Plane 11 that is certified to work with your plane as of yet that actually works with Vulcan i.e 11.50?  I ask as your website clearly says Vulkan support beside the aircraft on the website.  Also, are you supporting one graphics company over another, i.e NVidia over AMD?

Where it fails during the loading sequence:

2020-05-07 01:11:17 TBM900[xplane.c:1417]: BOOT: adf_dme_init
2020-05-07 01:11:17 TBM900[xplane.c:1420]: BOOT: efis_init
2020-05-07 01:11:17 TBM900[glctx.c:273]: Utilizing shared window
2020-05-07 01:11:17 TBM900[helpers.c:1123]: Failed to create invisible OpenGL context: A directory service error has occurred.

2020-05-07 01:11:17 TBM900[glctx.c:464]: assertion "ctx->dc != ((void *)0)" failed: 

TBM900_Log.txt

Your question is not easy to answer.  Is there a version of X-Plane with Vulkan that the TBM will work in?  Yes.  11.50 beta.  Is it "officially" supported under a beta of X-Plane?  No.  Vulkan is new to 11.50, and it won't work for everyone due to the enormous amount of system configurations out there (including software) that could conflict with a beta copy of X-Plane, on top of issues with X-Plane beta itself.  We're now into our 6th version of the beta due to the bugs that were present in the last 5 versions.

AMD drivers are notoriously unreliable.  We're seeing more problems with AMD/Radeon GPU's than Nvidia GPU's.  However, these are more annoyances than problems, with a very small minority not being able to run the TBM at all.  This minority represents, literally, less than 1% of our customer base.  
Example:  I have a Mac and I'm running a 5700XT, and seeing no problems on my end when using 11.50. (Other than the custom rain effects and AoA indicator not working.).  But I also have very few plugins installed.  Other people, like yourself, are having far more serious problems.

So, to answer your question on Vulkan support.  Yes, the TBM will run under Vulkan.  It has ever since the first beta came out.  If it wasn't compatible, 100% of the people who have the TBM won't be able to run it, and that simply isn't the case.  The few people that are having issues with it are submitting logs, just as you have, and we're looking into getting the problem fixed as soon as possible.  

4 hours ago, Goran_M said:

Your question is not easy to answer.  Is there a version of X-Plane with Vulkan that the TBM will work in?  Yes.  11.50 beta.  Is it "officially" supported under a beta of X-Plane?  No.  Vulkan is new to 11.50, and it won't work for everyone due to the enormous amount of system configurations out there (including software) that could conflict with a beta copy of X-Plane, on top of issues with X-Plane beta itself.  We're now into our 6th version of the beta due to the bugs that were present in the last 5 versions.

AMD drivers are notoriously unreliable.  We're seeing more problems with AMD/Radeon GPU's than Nvidia GPU's.  However, these are more annoyances than problems, with a very small minority not being able to run the TBM at all.  This minority represents, literally, less than 1% of our customer base.  
Example:  I have a Mac and I'm running a 5700XT, and seeing no problems on my end when using 11.50. (Other than the custom rain effects and AoA indicator not working.).  But I also have very few plugins installed.  Other people, like yourself, are having far more serious problems.

So, to answer your question on Vulkan support.  Yes, the TBM will run under Vulkan.  It has ever since the first beta came out.  If it wasn't compatible, 100% of the people who have the TBM won't be able to run it, and that simply isn't the case.  The few people that are having issues with it are submitting logs, just as you have, and we're looking into getting the problem fixed as soon as possible.  

Hi Goran,

Thank you for your reply, I talked with Cameron today and he mentioned someone from development would be in touch with me regarding version TBM9001.1.13.  That there was a possible fix being worked on for this issue.  I look forward to getting the plane working under Vulkan as it is a beautiful plane modeled with great attention to detail.  So much so that I lit it on fire the first day using it which is hilarious! A 3.7 million dollar plane.  oops :-)  I am getting up to 30fps now with fairly high settings using Vulkan so I am planning to continue with that and will just shelf the plane until the new release comes out.  I tried going back to OpenGL but hated it. Goes down to under 19fps in OpenGL for me.  And unfortunately, there is not a new higher end computer in my near future.  The one I have plays all my games at pretty high settings as is.  

Cheers!

Edited by PhoenixNelson

• 2 weeks later...

What was the solution to this? I haven't been able to use this plane since updating to Vulkan in the X-Plane 11.50 beta. (Currently b9) The game is unbearable now with OpenGL, so I'm using betas for other plugins (such as WT3) to get by until things are stable. (I don't like betas, but Vulkan has been a significant enough improvement worth sacrificing for.) I think a lot of us have been patiently, quietly waiting for the TBM 900 to work again. It's the only plane that doesn't work out of the 11 paid add-on planes I have. (This was also the most expensive) I know it'll work once I'm clear of the betas, so I haven't complained since the beta is my choice..but if there's a workaround that apparently worked here, I'd love to get in on it.

Edited by Jolly_Green

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 3:03 PM, 777 said:

can you share this fix, i'm having same issue.... thanks.

Same here; I have gotten the TBM to load maybe 3 or 4 times in Vulkan, but 95% of the time the load screen just hangs and I need to force-quit X-Plane. Every time, the Log.txt file contains: "TBM900[helpers.c:1123]: Failed to create invisible OpenGL context: A directory service error has occurred," which is what led me to this thread.

@PhoenixNelson and @skiselkov I would sure appreciate knowing what the fix is :-)

• 2 months later...
On 5/30/2020 at 10:05 PM, perseid28 said:

Same here; I have gotten the TBM to load maybe 3 or 4 times in Vulkan, but 95% of the time the load screen just hangs and I need to force-quit X-Plane. Every time, the Log.txt file contains: "TBM900[helpers.c:1123]: Failed to create invisible OpenGL context: A directory service error has occurred," which is what led me to this thread.

@PhoenixNelson and @skiselkov I would sure appreciate knowing what the fix is :-)

Does anyone know if this issue has been fixed?  many thanks.

2 hours ago, 777 said:

Does anyone know if this issue has been fixed?  many thanks.

We have a workaround in the beta build of the TBM. The issue is a driver compatibility issue on AMD + Vulkan + Windows 10. Let me know if you'd like to hop onto the beta channel for now until we get the fix out in the general build.

On 5/30/2020 at 11:05 PM, perseid28 said:

Same for you, please let me know if you'd like to use the beta build of the TBM for the time being.

11 hours ago, skiselkov said:

We have a workaround in the beta build of the TBM. The issue is a driver compatibility issue on AMD + Vulkan + Windows 10. Let me know if you'd like to hop onto the beta channel for now until we get the fix out in the general build.

yea, that would be great.

• 2 weeks later...