Home Cockpit Builders - Request

ricktana

I know this topic has been addressed before, but I would like to bring it up again.  There are some of us who have spent a great deal of time and money building a home cockpit. My cockpit requires two  PC's that run two networked versions of X-Plane. One PC runs the flight model and two touchscreen monitors on the instrument panel using Air Manager to display the PFD and MFD.  The second "Display PC" runs the outside view graphics on 3 each 50" TV's.  I am a huge fan of the TBM 900, but it is extremely difficult to operate the aircraft in a networked configuration.  Because many of the datarefs and commands do not replicate over to the second aircraft on the "Display PC", I will get engine and airframe failures that are built into the aircraft.  The only way I can fly the airplane without causing these failures is to simultaneously accomplish the same tasks on each aircraft. I have to do this whenever I fly the aircraft, but I am not a big fanboy of having to do it. I am not a developer, so I don't know what is involved to enable commands and datarefs to occur on both aircraft at the same time.  I do know that other developers have done it to their aircraft, though these aircraft are not as complex as the TBM.  If this is something that could be considered in a future update, I know I speak for many that would welcome it.  Another option would be a way to disable all failures on the aircraft so that a fuel lever that moves when it shouldn't or doesn't move when it should on the "Display PC" doesn't cause catastrophic damage to the engine.  I mainly use the 3D cockpit model view from the glare shield up as seen in the attached photos so I don't care what works or doesn't work beneath the glare shield.  It's those big orange flames engulfing the aircraft that I don't like seeing! :)  

I greatly appreciate what you guys do and the effort put in to make the TBM one of the best aircraft available on X-Plane. Thanks for any help that you might consider to make it even better when using it in a network configuration.

Rick S

Photo Apr 18, 1 37 11 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 18, 1 41 09 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 18, 1 39 23 PM.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I have a similar problem. I have two networked X-Plane installs, one is Master and the other is Slave.

Master - displays front outside view + PFD + MFD

Slave - displays left and right outside view

Flight controls are attached to Master.

The problem is that the TBM model running on Slave lives its own life. It flies in sync with the Master, but TBM extra functions are not in sync. Like closing the door etc. I have to close the door twice - first in Master and then in Slave.

My question is - how to setup TBM in networked Master and Slave environments? Is it possible at all?

Goran,

Wishful thinking I guess. I have had limited success running two independent copies of X-Plane while using SmartCopilot. I have the 2 PC’s networked on my local LAN but I am not using the Master/Slave function within X-Plane.  It requires a careful matching of both airplanes prior to syncing them together with SmartCopilot but I have been able to make it work. I can relate to the problems Kanaj was having. The door was just one of many items that managed to get out of sync in my case.

I have also been able to get it to partially work by combining the Master/Slave function in X-Plane and using SmartCopilot together. Most everything works but I get erratic heading, course, and altitude select movements when turning the appropriate knobs. Not sure why? The only downside to using SmartCopilot is the added cost of having to buy two licenses. One for each PC. 

My latest venture is running one copy of X-Plane with Vulcan enabled using 5 displays. Three displays showing the aircraft and scenery on my GTX 1080.  My two touch-screen panel displays are using the on-board graphics card. This was not possible until Vulcan came out, but I am able to see about 28-32 FPS with my graphics settings set to mid range. With a higher end CPU and Graphics card, it may run pretty decent. 

4 hours ago, ricktana said:

Goran,

Wishful thinking I guess. I have had limited success running two independent copies of X-Plane while using SmartCopilot. I have the 2 PC’s networked on my local LAN but I am not using the Master/Slave function within X-Plane.  It requires a careful matching of both airplanes prior to syncing them together with SmartCopilot but I have been able to make it work. I can relate to the problems Kanaj was having. The door was just one of many items that managed to get out of sync in my case.

I have also been able to get it to partially work by combining the Master/Slave function in X-Plane and using SmartCopilot together. Most everything works but I get erratic heading, course, and altitude select movements when turning the appropriate knobs. Not sure why? The only downside to using SmartCopilot is the added cost of having to buy two licenses. One for each PC. 

My latest venture is running one copy of X-Plane with Vulcan enabled using 5 displays. Three displays showing the aircraft and scenery on my GTX 1080.  My two touch-screen panel displays are using the on-board graphics card. This was not possible until Vulcan came out, but I am able to see about 28-32 FPS with my graphics settings set to mid range. With a higher end CPU and Graphics card, it may run pretty decent. 

It's definitely a very ambitious project, but hats off to you getting as far as you did.  

• 9 months later...

Rick, i run three PCs (one front, two left, three right). What i do is run Cessna's on the left and right and the 900 on the center. Then i dont show any internal cockpit so monitors are only showing external views. This is a common approach to solve the problem you highlighted. 

Edited by kaselite

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello Goran, 

QQ on this. I stopped using the TBM on the slave network machines (and used the Cessna instead)... i started using the TBM again as i built a better physical simulator and its nice to see the wing and window out the left and right view. Anyway... i have one problem that i cant get around. I originally thought it was the check box you mentioned above i.e. "Simulate blackout, redout, & hypoxia effects". That checkback is NOT selected. 

To recap, i have a master machine (front visuals) with two slaves (left and right visuals). Im using xplanes built in network mode. This all works great.... 

Whats happening is when i fly about 19,000 feet, the slave's pilots in the left and right machine seem run out of oxygen and they slump over in their seats. Of course, the plane is not pressurized ... so this makes sense but in in order for the simulator to work well, I would need to make sure they don’t do this!

Is there any way to turn this off?

Edited by kaselite