My engine just exploded!

SHaines

I am a newbie to the TBM 900. Just bought it today. Forgive me. I was watching the automatic tutorial that starts when you launch the aircraft the first time... a terrific feature! I got as far as the narrator throwing a couple of switches to begin the startup process when smoke started pouring out of the engine and it burst into flames. I had not touched a thing. Believe me. I quit XPlane and am hoping I can easily restore this airplane to working order tomorrow. a) What happened? b) How can I prevent this in the future?  c) Is my airplane damaged? d) How can I repair it? 

I realize this aircraft is detailed beyond anything I have seen or used before (which is why I bought it). But I wasn't prepared for it exploding on me during a tutorial. Any assistance appreciated. 

Stay well. Stay healthy.  —SteveH

When this happens, it's usually a sign of bad terrain data.  Were you at a custom airport scenery?  

Another cause is loading the TBM and THEN calibrating your power lever/throttle.  The power lever of the TBM must not be moved when the engine is off.  You will do some serious damage to engine components this way (which will be displayed in your maintenance manager).  

Edited by Goran_M

@Goran_M

I think your second explanation is probably what happened here. As is my normal habit when setting up a new aircraft I always go through all of my yoke, keyboard and view settings,  creating a custom set, in this case for the TBM 900. In doing that I certainly moved the power level. In fact, the tutorial points to that device but I don't recall it providing any clear warnings that touching this device before the engine is started will destroy your airplane :(. I am presently located at KRNO, a shareware airport, but I doubt that alone would produce such an effect.

So now my question is how can I restore the airplane to pristine condition? I hate to start off using my brand new multi-million dollar TBM with a burnt-out engine. Not to speak of the paint job. A friend who has this aircraft mentioned that you can always start anew by renaming the aircraft. If this is true I will certainly try that. Thank you for the quick reply to last night's frantic question. 

Stay well and healthy,

SH