Several G5 bug reports and a feature request

TheM20J

Hey folks,

Thanks for the great work on the G5 instrument, it has been really useful for me as I am doing as much as I can towards my instrument training while effectively grounded by the current events.

I wanted to report a few bugs that I've noticed. Note that I'm using the Mooney Ovation2, on X-Plane 11. I am also using the RealityXP 530w unit instead of the default X-Plane 530w, in case it has to do with any of these bugs.

1) The course selector can be spun to values greater than 360 degrees or smaller than 0 degrees. It functions correctly, but displays something like "720 degrees" or "-60 degrees" in the menu. It would be good to clamp the course value to 360.

2) The HSI appears to not have a flag for bad signal, and the behavior is unpredictable when the underlying signal is unreliable. It seems on VLOC it sometimes even shows full deflection in the wrong direction, and then it jumps to a full deflection in the correct direction once the deviation is more normal / starts to get received.

3) The HSI does not show DME measurement for localizers. Note that there is a simulated DME in my plane and it seems to work fine for VORs. I believe I was on the LOC/DME RWY 31 at KSNS when I noticed this problem, but it seems to happen on any localizer.

4) Feature request: the real G5 has a display of the selected course permanently on the unit. This makes it easier to precisely select a course, notice when a course is incorrect, etc. Please consider adding an indication in the simulated G5 as well.

That's all I can think of for now!

Adi

Thanks for this breakdown!
Regarding these:

• Course selector > 360 -- Bug filed on that, will get that rolled into a coming update
  • HSI flag for bad signal -- The problem we have been dealing with is that we can only display the limited information available via the X-Plane Datarefs, where the real G5 is connected to these GPSs and gets much more reliable information.
  • DME measurement on LOC -- Bug files, we will look into that. Again, this is probably a dataref thing (we aren't doing any DME calculation ourself, we are just reading what X-Plane tells us) but we will see if there is a better dataref we can use
  • CRS display - Yes, we are working to implement the changes made with the latest revisions of the G5

Thanks again for the feedback :)