XP 11.50 Beta Results

shaved_ape

Greetings folks,

I didn't see anything here yet about initial reactions to the recent 11.50 Beta, but I can say with honesty and proven experience so far, that the switchover to Vulcan has a lot of potential, during it's beta phase.  I took some screen shots of a very short (and unorthodox) flight I took from KSEA to KEAT.  I chose KSEA, due to it being a very heavy urban area, which makes for great test flights.  KEAT was chosen out of pure "spin of the wheel".  The unorthodox nature was that the flight was done purely with keyboard and mouse.  I don't normally do that, but since I wanted to fire up the latest release of SMP 4, RWC and FSGRW.

On the whole, the experience was positive, with a few expectations met along the way, due to previous experiences of flying in bad weather over heavy urban areas.  Weather is still a frame killer, BUT being outside of urban areas, FPS will increase.  My flight was conducted in the LR C172/G-1000 (default aircraft), at 8000', with pretty bad weather.  FPS started at mid 30s to low 40s, but after getting to cruise, the FPS increased up to the upper 80s to low 90s, but that was after emerging from the bad weather.  It should also be taken into account that I stuck with the default cloud draw distance for most of the flight and then backed it off a bit, which also helped bring up the frames.  My render settings were in the high range, with a 4xSSAA, but I later dropped it to 2x, which also helped the frames too.

Attached are a couple of screenshots, showing off the nice improvements to the clouds and fog, courtesy of SMP, as well as my FPS, and CPU and GPU timings.  It looks like Vulcan is finally giving my RTX-2080 a bit of a workout. :)

Cheers!

Cessna_172SP_G1000 - 2020-04-03 13.19.36.png

Cessna_172SP_G1000 - 2020-04-03 13.24.21.png

Cessna_172SP_G1000 - 2020-04-03 13.24.31.png

Cessna_172SP_G1000 - 2020-04-03 13.24.36.png

I just tried out the new beta as well. With mt default settings under OpenGL  I get around 20FPS flying in NZCH (my home town), turned on Vulkan, restarted the sim and got a fairly healthy 70fps!!! Now Im not running the latest tech, Ryzen i5 clocked at 3.9. 8 GB's ram and an older GTX1050ti with 4 GB vram. I cranked the settings and while Im only getting low 30's for FPS I can now fly with objects at max!! Everything else was set to high except reflections and the "everything casts shadows" as this crashed my system!!! AA is set at 4x (forget the acronyms for the AA settings but its the SSAA?). I'm very happy with the increase I got for an older system and cant wait to see the final release of 11.50 I did test this flying the default Cessna 172 (steam gauges version...).

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2020 at 5:15 PM, Gjalp said:

I just tried out the new beta as well. With mt default settings under OpenGL  I get around 20FPS flying in NZCH (my home town), turned on Vulkan, restarted the sim and got a fairly healthy 70fps!!! Now Im not running the latest tech, Ryzen i5 clocked at 3.9. 8 GB's ram and an older GTX1050ti with 4 GB vram. I cranked the settings and while Im only getting low 30's for FPS I can now fly with objects at max!! Everything else was set to high except reflections and the "everything casts shadows" as this crashed my system!!! AA is set at 4x (forget the acronyms for the AA settings but its the SSAA?). I'm very happy with the increase I got for an older system and cant wait to see the final release of 11.50 I did test this flying the default Cessna 172 (steam gauges version...).

okay perfect thanks for the info!