performance tool

SkyFly

Hello IXEG-Team,

I´d love to see an accurate performance tool to calculate takeoff and landing distances for different flap settings, thrust ratings ect.

For somebody like me, who likes to fly into small fields, this would be a great help. :)

As for now, it´s more or less guesswork if there is enough runway ahead for a takeoff or landing. :wacko:

Kind Regards

SkyFly

Edited by SkyFly

Hi SkyFly,

you can probably find a lot of real performance information for the 737-300 online. I know that you are probably looking for something a bit easier to use, but I know that these kind of solutions are extremely difficult to code and take real airlines´ IT departments many years to come up with. I speak from experience...

You can probably ballpark this with the rough guideline:

Landing on anything over 2000m will be ok. For dry and headwind, you can go down to 1700m. Anything between 1700 and 1500 needs dry, headwind, weight < 45.000kg. Don´t go shorter than 1500.

Takeoffs on >2500 are not a problem, you can derate with TASS 45 or so. 2500 - 2000 needs headwind, derate to 40. <2000 go full N1. 1800-1500 with dry, headwind, full N1.

Cheers, Jan

• 3 months later...

I am for this suggestion as well. I feel it would, as a first step, be possible to migrate the functions of the side menu into avitab possibly? And then adding a performance calculator if feasible at some point. 

You can find other solutions out there, but if you have the time to implement something like that it would be great! 

On 2/7/2020 at 10:28 AM, Litjan said:

Hi SkyFly,

you can probably find a lot of real performance information for the 737-300 online. I know that you are probably looking for something a bit easier to use, but I know that these kind of solutions are extremely difficult to code and take real airlines´ IT departments many years to come up with. I speak from experience...

You can probably ballpark this with the rough guideline:

Landing on anything over 2000m will be ok. For dry and headwind, you can go down to 1700m. Anything between 1700 and 1500 needs dry, headwind, weight < 45.000kg. Don´t go shorter than 1500.

Takeoffs on >2500 are not a problem, you can derate with TASS 45 or so. 2500 - 2000 needs headwind, derate to 40. <2000 go full N1. 1800-1500 with dry, headwind, full N1.

Cheers, Jan

Hi Jan,

I have been looking for an accurate tool since the release of this airplane, no luck so far.

May I suggest doing one of your great YouTube videos on how to use charts and basic calculations to determine these performance parameters? I’d love to learn how to do the manual process.

34 minutes ago, Litjan said:

Hmm, maybe try this one?

http://www.b737.org.uk/landing_distance.xls

Cheers, Jan

Thanks

seems to be for the 400/500 . I just don’t know the differences between the 300 and these two variants, decelerations are probably very similar.

is there anything similar for TO Performance for these exact engines we have? I am often doing flights out of sloped rwys < 2000m. Full N1 is what I use of course.

Yes, the landing performance for the -300 would be pretty much right between the -400 and the -500...and those are very close already.

You would have to look for a takeoff tool like this yourself - I would assume that it isn´t as easy to find one as for the landing. Takeoffs are much harder to calculate, and you have to take into account not only the runway, but also the surrounding terrain. Thats why the maximum performance takeoff weight is different for every airport (with limiting terrain).

We used to have a thick bound folder with "runway weight charts" in our aircraft to do this before every departure, now that is done with computers, of course.

If you just want to get some ballpark numbers (for flat airfields) you can do this: Set the V1 according to your weight from the FMS. Accelerate to V1, then chop your throttles (idle reverse only). Then check the DATA OUT for "distance traveled". This would give you the runway length required for this weight. Oh, and don´t be too disappointed if the numbers you get are different from a real-world performance calculation. I am very confident in our acceleration phase being correct, for the stopping part I refer to the accuracy of X-Plane´s ground modeling...

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 3:43 PM, Litjan said:

If you just want to get some ballpark numbers (for flat airfields) you can do this: Set the V1 according to your weight from the FMS. Accelerate to V1, then chop your throttles (idle reverse only). Then check the DATA OUT for "distance traveled". This would give you the runway length required for this weight.

Oh no!  You just shared the hack I use for my secret project! :blink::lol: