Main Gen Tripped

Gregg Seipp

So, this is about my third flight in this airframe and I got this:

2020-01-09 20:50:21 TBM900[elec.c:1210]: MAIN GEN tripped (25.5A, 28.4V, rpm: 0)
2020-01-09 20:50:53 TBM900[fail.c:932]: Component turbines has failed due to excessive wear (worn: 100.000000%, slope 0.5). You can prevent this by observing performance limitations and servicing the aircraft regularly in the maintenance hangar.
2020-01-09 20:50:53 TBM900[fail.c:935]: Failure impact: sim/operation/failures/rel_hunsta0
2020-01-09 20:50:56 TBM900[fail.c:932]: Component turbines has failed due to excessive wear (worn: 100.000000%, slope 0.0). You can prevent this by observing performance limitations and servicing the aircraft regularly in the maintenance hangar.
2020-01-09 20:50:56 TBM900[fail.c:935]: Failure impact: sim/operation/failures/rel_engfai0

Then the engine shut down.  Attempting to restart resulted in an engine fire in flight.  What would have caused it to wear out so quickly?  Does a generator malfunction cause engine shutdown?  There were no other notifications in the log.

EDIT:  I'm an idiot.  I see that the gen tripped and then it was the engine that failed.  Still, I didn't run it over 101% and that would have been only a couple of seconds.  About 2 hours on the engine.

Gregg

Edited by Gregg Seipp

I've just purchased the TBM 900 a few days ago as well, been doing a few flights so far, but today I've had the same happening (the second time already).

I was cruising at FL280, no indication that anything was abnormal, when out of nowhere Torque shot up to way over 300% and my plane immediately dived nose down. I immediately did a cut-off and recovered, but wasn't able to re-start the engine. Only after resetting failures within the X-Plane menu I was able to re-start the engine.

All I can see in the Log is the following line: 

2020-01-14 12:48:35 TBM900[elec.c:1210]: MAIN GEN tripped (47.1A, 28.4V, rpm: 0)

So my question is, what exactly is causing it? I am using accelerated wear, but the airframe is new. After landing I also couldn't find anything in the Maintenance tab that was broken. Only the Turbine seems to have taken some slight damage.

Nope. As far as I can tell everything is normal. I actually just now realized that the TBM 900 overrides the default X-Plane failure menu, I never really used it before anyways.

I forgot to check which failure the TBM 900 triggered, if it happens again I'll make sure to look it up. The Log file doesn't seem to record if a failure is triggered, at least in my case there's no entry. 

One thought occurred to me.  When the generator tripped on me, I was in moderate to heavy turbulence at the time, in climbout.  Just in case that could have had anything to do with it.  I mean, I can imagine that the instantaneous measurement of some value during that time might have been low or high, though, the gauges looked okay from what I could see.  I have noticed that sometimes when I've gotten a hot start, the engine caught fire while ITT was still in the green, increasing quickly.  Perhaps that gauge lags behind the actual ITT?  Or maybe I was just missing something in all the bouncing around.

Edited by Gregg Seipp