SkyMaxx Pro crashes X-plane 11.40

photo_rascal

Hi,

I have looked at a couple of posts describing this error.  After enabling SkyMaxx PRO V4.8, the simulation will eventually crash.  I have tried to isolate what is causing the problem but have not been able to come up with a solution.  X-plane does not crash with SkyMaxx Pro disabled.

First about my system:

I7 6700K processor at 4.1GHz

36GBytes DDR4 3600MHz

1TB M.2 SSD

GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8GB Driver version 432

These are the only plugins I am running:

image.png.d3c26438b174b8758294eb968fb8ecb9.png

I do not have any custom scenery installed (only what comes the X-plane)

I am running with SkyMaxx Pro initial default settings

I see no pattern in the log file after each failure.

1.  SkyMaxx Pro: Coordinate system changed; repositioning cloud layers.

2. 0:13:45.358 I/SCN: DSF load time: 1561977 for file Global Scenery/X-Plane 11 Global Scenery/Earth nav data/+30-120/+33-112.dsf (253779 tris, 3 skipped for -10.9 m^2)

This  is a clean install of X-plane 11.40.

Any help would be appreciated.  I will post a log file and metar file next time it crashes.

Thanks,

Photo_rascal

This is the first I've heard of any sort of issue with 11.40; could you point me toward the other posts you saw?

I'd have to see your log.txt file following a crash to speculate on the cause. It more likely has to do with changes to how X-Plane handles plugins than anything SkyMaxx Pro is doing.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply on this. The other post I saw didn't specially X-plane 11.40.  It was posted in the May time frame.  I don't know how to point you to the exact post, but doing a search for "SkyMaxx Pro crashes X-plane" and scroll down multiple screens, it will show up.

I will get you a log of when it crashes on its own.  It has also crashed as I have tried to make setting changes during flights.  Here is a saved log for that crash.

Log_change Horizon distance 1.txt

Here are my current graphics setting.  I am running at a reduced resolution to up the frame rate.  I have tried several different settings.  With this setup, I get 15 to 20 fps in a real crowded environment or with lots of clouds.  It normally runs in the 30's with a high in the 60's.  One other thing I forgot to mention is that I am running 3 monitors and have two graphics cards in the system.  the RTX2080 is running these 3 displays while the second GTE 1070 is running my 4th monitor which is running Plan-G3.

image.thumb.png.2aaf33b2a402b7a9c1f130c2538bffc5.png

Thanks,

Photo_rascal

7 hours ago, photo_rascal said:

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply on this. The other post I saw didn't specially X-plane 11.40.  It was posted in the May time frame.  I don't know how to point you to the exact post, but doing a search for "SkyMaxx Pro crashes X-plane" and scroll down multiple screens, it will show up.

I will get you a log of when it crashes on its own.  It has also crashed as I have tried to make setting changes during flights.  Here is a saved log for that crash.

Here are my current graphics setting.  I am running at a reduced resolution to up the frame rate.  I have tried several different settings.  With this setup, I get 15 to 20 fps in a real crowded environment or with lots of clouds.  It normally runs in the 30's with a high in the 60's.  One other thing I forgot to mention is that I am running 3 monitors and have two graphics cards in the system.  the RTX2080 is running these 3 displays while the second GTE 1070 is running my 4th monitor which is running Plan-G3.

Thanks,

Photo_rascal

Having texture quality at max has being thoroughly discussed and does not benefit anyone, better off drooping it one notch, cant see anything else, Havnt had any issues with skmax on 11.4

The log doesn't actually indicate that the crash happened within SkyMaxx Pro's code, but within X-Plane itself. The suggestion above is probably as good as any right now; apart from that, odd errors like this are often associated with overclocking. If you're overclocking, try reverting to your spec frequencies - I bet that clears it up.

Hi,

Here are some logs when X-plane crashes while changing SkyMaxx settings while in a flight. 

Note that all over-clocking has now been turned off and am running at base settings.

Thanks,

Photo Rascal

Log crash loading settings 2.txt

Log crash while loading settings.txt

Log taking a long time to parse Metar.txt

Whatever's going on here is complicated; your logs still indicate that the crash isn''t actually happening within our code, but it would seem that the delay introduced in rebuilding our cloud layers in response to setting changes or new weather data is causing something to time out and crash within X-Plane itself on your system. 

My best advice for now would be to reduce the cloud area setting in SkyMaxx Pro to make those delays shorter. Even reducing that setting by a little can make a big difference in the resources required to build the cloud layers.

Edited by sundog