Revert back to 1.0.9?

rjsict

I kept my 1.109 and I am glad I did. It's easy, just uninstall the current, and reinstall the earlier version.  After installing the update, I had a lot of cockpit issues with the way G100 instruments displaying. Both the main display and the multi were not loading correctly. I could not go into my map views, checklists or systems views. I also I had no speed tape indicator  or cas warning messages, and only a few things I could look. I had no idea how fast I was going unless I used backup and some AP things were not working right.

I tried the usual plugin conflict issues and this still could be related to plugin conflict, but after reverting back to v.09 I had a working plane again.  I will continue to test the plugins for conflict, but if they work with 1.1.09 than I think 10 still has some tweaking.

We might want to add this to the bug report .

LB

My two cents:   I do not think it wise to turn off our anti virus ..even temporarily.    Peace of mind and the proper thing to do would be to release an installer that does not house a potential virus or (if false positive) fix the issue and re-release the installer.  Sounds like there are also some issues with the update itself - for those who managed to install.  Until this is remediated,  could you please put verson 1.1.09 back in the downloads section.   I completely un-installed to make way for 1.1.0   Thank you.

15 hours ago, mokeiko said:

You folks probably already know this but make sure you turn off all anti-virus temporarily (especially real-time protection in windows security) and always install as admin.

fly safe

@mokeiko, I actually don't have an antivirus program running because I  am running x-plane on an iMac. The Mac OS doesn't have the same issues with virus attaching themselves to processes vital to core OS operations. To the point though, I don't even have an antivirus program installed that might flag the addon as malicious.   

5 hours ago, YYZSimmer said:

My two cents:   I do not think it wise to turn off our anti virus ..even temporarily.    Peace of mind and the proper thing to do would be to release an installer that does not house a potential virus or (if false positive) fix the issue and re-release the installer.  Sounds like there are also some issues with the update itself - for those who managed to install.  Until this is remediated,  could you please put verson 1.1.09 back in the downloads section.   I completely un-installed to make way for 1.1.0   Thank you.

@YYZSimmer, What you say is mostly correct, and a good practice in the majority of scenarios. However, the truth is, antiviruses are usually the culprit responsible for the majority of system incompatibility issues that result in software conflicts. Please don't take my response as negative or an attack, I just want to help clear some things up and in fact, my response may help you and others a lot, especially if you want better performance from your systems.  

First, there are many more false positives that occur than people are aware, and a false positive is not the result of a poorly built 3rd party program or installer like this one. Furthermore, it should not be the responsibility of 3rd party developers to program an installer to counter false security alerts. Not when the alert should have never been flagged in the first place. Instead, this actually falls on the development team of the antivirus program. They should be coding using standard practices that allow typical and legetmit scripts to run without being seen as a possible threat.

Keep in mind,  antivirus programs have a very complicated set of tasks to undertake with many different variables to consider, not to mention that the users themselves, can further complicate the matter if they don't properly configure them correctly.

IMPORTANT!!!

PC Antivirus software access (in regards the Windows OS specifically) the two major architectural components designed for the Windows OS. These two design layers are called, Kernel mode and User Mode. The fact that antivirus software have root level security clearance to interact with or manipulate the Windows Kernel mode (which is the most restrictive environment within Windows), means that the software can sometimes inflict the same level of damage as a virus.

This essentially means your antivirus program has the ability to alter the most crucial parts of your operating system. Why?  Well, because kernel mode is the only mode with full access to both the hardware and system resources. (e.x.: system drivers, external mice, joysticks, ect...)

A better practice is research the antivirus software carefully and have one installed that leads in its class and hardly interacts with the system it is monitoring.  Not all are built equally and many programs are extremely bloated which in return are unnecessarily taxing on a system. 

It is more commonly advised that you don't have an antivirus program even running during any type of PC gaming, whether it be a Flight sim or something like League of Legends. This is especially true if you experience a large performance hit. You'll see a vast improvement on FPS if there isn't an antivirus running in the background and it's why most of the more reliable  security programs have implemented a game mode option. Although, if it were me, I'd shut it down completely while running X-plane.

Security programs are widely known to cause conflict with other installed programs. This is why a lot of software require the user to shut it down during installations. However, if you feel more secure with it on, another less drastic option is to create a 'rule exception' within the preferences inside your antivirus software and also inside your firewall so that it knows not to flag the in/out port communication piping necessary for the software to run correctly.                                   

On a less important side note:
Windows OS infrastructure implement the registry mechanism which acts like a spinal cord to the brain of operations. Everything installed is recorded into the registry whether the processes are installed through an installer (by the user) or a malicious process injected into the system by a bad script. Almost every process attaches to the registry in some way and therefore could possibly be programmed to interact on the top level user mode core operations. Every running process running in the user mode layer share the same environment so the script can send instructions to the user mode brain of operations, directing it to run its objectives or it can attach itself and spread systemwide. Extremely sophisticated viruses like a rootkit virus can even communicate with the Kernel mode explained earlier.  

In contrast, the mac OS is an unix based architecture, and the same can be said about the Linux infrastructure which is similarly based on the Unix concept. Unix Based processes act more like single cell organisms. It is as if every program or running process (i.e. app) is it's own individual computer separate of the OS. Therefore it makes it harder to spread malicious code to the core because everything runs independent and isolated.  Also Unix ran OS's separate it's core modes into altogether separate containers and only make reference links into the lower level user mode container. Those links are largely, one directional.   

By the way, this post was not my attempt to discuss the pros and cons and the tireless argument of which system is better, Mac or Windows,  it's just that many people don't fully understand the differences between these two OS architectures. I was just trying to help better explain the way security programs interact with windows and the complications and sometimes accidental damage that can occur when they interact with a system.   

Edited by PelanPelan
  • Like 1

Ok.. Fair enough... so where does this leave me?  Without a TBM900 product currently.  This is all fine n dandy and I don't doubt there is a conflict or compatability issue .. somwehere .   This is not about assigning blame to anyone .  I just want a working product and have had no issues with any other add ons for Xplane - including TBM up to this point .   I have done multiple sweeps with Anti Malware and Anti Virus and my system is definitely clear ..   For what it is worth , my system is also fast enough and configured properly to run the product and 1.0.9. worked flawlessly. 

As I mentioned earlier .. this could even be a false positive.   I am not the expert -- just a frustrated customer who wants his TBM900 back lol.  I always assume the updates are for the best and will reneder improvement ... sometimes those updates go awry .. I get that.   It woukld be nice to revert back to 1.0.9   or get an installer that is not shut down by Anti Virus.    I am simply not comfortable shutting off my AV and should not be forced to do that.   

@YYZSimmer. Sorry if I gave the impression that I was a part of the team here. I am not. I am actually new to the product myself, and I just purchased it last monday. I would have bought it even sooner but I was doing research on whether my system would be enough to run it smoothly. it was a toss up between the toliss and Hot start. My not too much older mac is definitely on the low spec requirement so i was honestly surprised when my fps were pretty good. They are between 24 and 32 the majority of the time.  BTW: I ended up getting both products because the black friday deal on the Toliss was too good to pass up. Lol, I have not even flown the 319 yet.  

Someone posted my exact issue with the update in a separate thread in regards to the display not working. With at least two other people experiencing the same issues I have, so this new update is definitely not without its problems.

Now knowing future updates may cause issues, and also now knowing that X-Aviation (not Hot Start) does not easily provide us with back compatibility options, I will NEVER delete the downloaded files of older versions of the aircraft packaged installers.

Honestly, if there is one thing I would strongly criticize, it isn't the buggy update because that's just part of the process of ongoing development. Updates aren't always an improvement and anyone who owns an iphone can attest to but the Hot Start Devs from what I have seen first hand, and read will address this and help with support. They have a very positive view from the community in these regards.     

No, it is X-avavation is the responsible party here. They should be providing us with the ability to download earlier versions or at the very least, the last version prior to the update for backward compatibility.  I'm sure, by request you can get one but It is pretty uncommon to distribute an update installer for simple plugins or addons without having an option to download the last version. I'm glad that I bought this product when I did otherwise I would be out of luck and with little proof that it most likely is a bug.

This is my first payware purchase for X-plane but I have known for a long time that X-avation is known more for their lack of good support; rather than having a great reputation for support. I should mention, the complaints are mostly in cases where their own 3rd party distributing packages fail to properly install the addon or when the installer has registration conflicts. 

Here is my advice:

• Always keep at least the last version of the installer
  • I'd also make a backup of the actual aircraft folders that were installed and take note of where they were installed.
  • It might even be worth it to screen record the installing process because usually an installer will show every file and directory the content is being extracted to. By doing so, you can pause the video to slowly take note as the process moves quickly. 

Beyond that, @YYZSimmer, I have my installer for 1.1.09. If you would like, pm me, and I'll gladly give you a copy of my 1.109 installer. 

To be clear, I'll not share the actual aircraft extracted content because that could potentially be a copyright violation. The installer will only download the older version from their server and extract it into X-plane. You'll still need your registration info to extract the content and alao activate it within x-plane but I'd be happy to help if you want a working copy quickly. Just PM me to swap contact info, and I'll be happy to help.     

Thanks .  I appreciate the offer but I think it is only proper that X-Aviation support re-issue my installer.  Do not want you to risk any copyright infringement.   FYI  I have filed 2 tickets thus far and no response yet.   So frustrating!    Cheers

Edited by YYZSimmer

2 hours ago, YYZSimmer said:

Thanks .  I appreciate the offer but I think it is only proper that X-Aviation support re-issue my installer.  Do not want you to risk any copyright infringement.   FYI  I have filed 2 tickets thus far and no response yet.   So frustrating!    Cheers

Please don’t file more than one ticket. It pushes your original ticket out and your new one goes to the back of the support line. You don’t have to shut off your anti virus. Just add an exception to it that allows a download of the package. The false positive is the Linux installer. 

Edited by Goran_M

With all due respect Goran;  if responses didn't take as long as they do, I wouldn't have to file 2 tickets.  There is also nowhere that I can read which says original tickets will get pushed back.   In fact the second correspondence was a folloow up 'Message' which references the initial ticket number.    FYI  I don't have the ability to add an exception to this file ... it will not let me even download the file from the website - citing the Trojan virus .   All I would like at this point please  is a download link to 1.109.    I trust that is a simple request ?   Respectfully, with thanks.

Edited by YYZSimmer

14 minutes ago, YYZSimmer said:

All due respect Goran;  if responses didn't take as long as they do, I wouldn't have to file 2 tickets.  There is also nowhere that I can read which says original tickets will get pushed back.   In fact the second correspondence was a folloow up 'Message' which references the initial ticket number.    FYI  I don't have the ability to add an exception to this file ... it will not let me - citing the Trojan virus .   All I would like at this point please  is a download link to 1.109.    I trust that is a simple request ?   Respectfully, with thanks.

I understand your frustration, but the update literally came out a couple of days ago. And due to the current volume of support, it’s difficult to get to everyone.  We’re trying to sort this out, and I’m in the middle of LAX doing what I can with support on my cell phone, at this very moment. Unfortunately, I’m not in charge of reissuing installers. That’s up to Cameron. I’ll talk to him and see what he can do. 
please see the attached image which is on the contact section of x-aviation, and note the bold text at the bottom. 
F1E00B72-7022-4C01-8D6E-D411564C9EFC.png

Edited by Goran_M

Two problems since the update:

1) The Gen Off in CAS does not go off when activated. Battery does not seem to discharge while flying though.

2) Three times I've tried to customise the fuselage registration. Each time X-Plane locks up. When restarting, the TBM 900 will not load and in fact locks XP again. Each time it requires the plane to be re-installed. No point trying to customise until this has been fixed or I may return to the previous version. BTW loading other planes has not been affected.

On 12/9/2019 at 4:07 PM, PelanPelan said:

Beyond that, @YYZSimmer, I have my installer for 1.1.09. If you would like, pm me, and I'll gladly give you a copy of my 1.109 installer. 

To be clear, I'll not share the actual aircraft extracted content because that could potentially be a copyright violation. The installer will only download the older version from their server and extract it into X-plane. You'll still need your registration info to extract the content and alao activate it within x-plane but I'd be happy to help if you want a working copy quickly. Just PM me to swap contact info, and I'll be happy to help.     

Do not EVER do this. An installer is packaged per customer with specific information to identify distribution.

1 hour ago, BobGramm said:

I too reverted back to v1.1.09; it works great and I can enjoy this fantastic airplane.  I was experiencing the same issues as the second poster; I'm on Mac OS 10.15.2 (didn't work on OS 10.15.1 either).  Sure hope someone can help us Mac folks to enjoy the update.  Thanks.

How did you get a copy of the 1.1.09 installer or did you have it saved? My copy of the 1.1.09 installer that I saved doesn't work anymore on Catalina. Apparently they updated the installers a while back but that was after I had updated to 1.1.09 so I'm stuck with 1.1.10.