Will the CRJ work on my hardware? Test available!

--no_fbos add would break the texture like it is seen on that picture. Almost the same, so the first thing I thougth was about that break texture that no_fbos produces.... If anyone put --no_fbos as parameter would have broken displays.... so better not do. I had to put once because I had problems with my drivers loading one plane, but AGAIN was problem of drivers.

Nothing we can do about that problem and if you want fly the CRJ you have to fix that with drivers or buying a new graphic card.

That is the reason we released this test. Imagine you bought the CRJ and you have that problem. Better know it sooner buying it, isn't it?

Hi Javier & Philipp,

Trying to get it running on Linux, just for fun & help debugging (I've got a dedicated Win dual-boot for X-plane).

But I'm getting a segmentation fault trying to run the installer.

charles@charles-PC:~/X-Plane 9$ ./CRJTester-linux-installer.run
Erreur de segmentation

May be I'm not doing it right, can you please post instructions to run the linux installer?

BTW: Kubuntu 11.04 x64 & ATI Catalyst "out-of-the-box" from Ubuntu.

Cheers,

Charles

charly,

could you please create a stacktrace for us, so Cameron can check what is going wrong with the installer?

To do so, execute the following commands in the terminal:

ulimit -c unlimited

gdb CRJTester-linux-installer.run

start

bt full

(If you don't have gdb installed you can pull it easily via apt-get or aptitude)

post the resulting stacktrace here so Cameron can sort this out.

Cheers,

Philipp

So, just a question... was this just a test for folks to see if it would work on this system or also a covert test to see if your installer coding was working correctly?  I smell other motives at work here  :D

The main problem was the all-white displays on one Mac with ATI X1600 graphics adapter.

That we test our whole suit in terms of installer, deplyoment and dependencies is a welcome side-effect of this :)

Philipp

-------------- EDIT -------------

Finally managed to get it running, launched from the shell. KDE must be messing things around.

And guess what!

It ROCKS!

----------------------------------

post the resulting stacktrace here so Cameron can sort this out.

iz that right?

charles@charles-PC:~/X-Plane 9$ ulimit -c unlimited
charles@charles-PC:~/X-Plane 9$ gdb CRJTester-linux-installer.run
GNU gdb (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.2-1ubuntu11) 7.2
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
Reading symbols from /home/charles/X-Plane 9/CRJTester-linux-installer.run...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) start
Temporary breakpoint 1 at 0x80691cb
Starting program: /home/charles/X-Plane 9/CRJTester-linux-installer.run

Temporary breakpoint 1, 0x080691cb in main ()
(gdb) bt full
#0  0x080691cb in main ()
No symbol table info available.
(gdb)

If you need anything more Philipp, just ask, and remember I'm no hacker yet, you'll never explain anything too much for me  :).

Charles

Edit: tryed again, segmentation fault still, but said "core dumped" and I've got a nice 17MB file in the folder... is the one you need?

charles@charles-PC:~/X-Plane 9$ ./CRJTester-linux-installer.run                                                                                
Erreur de segmentation (core dumped)  

post-4423-131369606662_thumb.png

Hi, Charlie,

Are you on a 32-bit or 64-bit machine/os?

Cameron

Hi Cam!

x64 machine & OS. Go back to my previous post, I've edited it: I finally got it to work, but had to launch the installer from the shell.

And it works! CRJ WILL work!

Complete specs:

Kubuntu x64, Raedon HD4850 1GB, stock drivers shipped with K/Ubuntu (8.84.6).

So you just have to fix the installer... BTW, does the installer do anything more than putting the plane in the right folder for Linux?

And, BTW again, does anybody have a trick to get X-plane working nice on Linux with ATI graphics? (I drop down -30 fps compared to Windows, can't get any antialiasing, artefacts everywhere, and I had that on all Ubuntu versions since 9.10...). I'm running X-plane on specific win dual-boot 'cause of that, but as the CRJ performs better on Linux, I'd like fixing that...

Cheers,

Charles

Charly, go to the folder were the CRJTester-linux-installer.run  file is and also the 17MB core file.

Now do

gdb CRJTester-linux-installer.run core

bt full

and post the output here.

Philipp

EDIT: About ATI on Linux... Well, it has been a nightmare for years and it still continues. I've given up on ATI to ever come up with a working Linux driver long ago and invariably go nvidia in terms of GPU. Unless there is a mass of Linux users setting the AMD headquarters on fire we are probably stuck with what we got.

and post the output here.

Attached!

BTW, seen that:

warning: Could not load shared library symbols for 11 libraries, e.g. /tmp/tclAZafNw.
Use the "info sharedlibrary" command to see the complete listing.

So I've run "info shared library", you've got the result at the end of the log. Looks like there are some missing libs.

Oh, and I think a linux installer may not be mandatory if it just unzips the files in the good folder... linux users won't be upset if they have to do manually!  :)

EDIT: About ATI on Linux... Well, it has been a nightmare for years and it still continues. I've given up on ATI to ever come up with a working Linux driver long ago and invariably go nvidia in terms of GPU. Unless there is a mass of Linux users setting the AMD headquarters on fire we are probably stuck with what we got.

I didn't know when I bought the card... but don't say they're not making progress: starting from catalyst 11.4 they have introduced video V-sync on Linux! what a achievement! (nvidia has that for yeaaaaaars). Never ATI again...

CRJ.txt

Oh, and I think a linux installer may not be mandatory if it just unzips the files in the good folder... linux users won't be upset if they have to do manually!  :)

Hi, Charles,

Running the installer on Linux is something we most certainly need (not for the tester) for the aircraft itself, as there is one thing in the installer for Linux that is necessary and different than that of the Mac and PC.

I'll investigate the issues you had. We've had a number of downloads thus far, so I'm assuming most others had the necessary libraries.

Best,

Cameron

I'll investigate the issues you had. We've had a number of downloads thus far, so I'm assuming most others had the necessary libraries.

Might be KDE then... at least the installer works within the shell. So with clear instructions I guess users experiencing problems could do that... all that to say pleeeease do not postpone the release for that little-tiny-minor-insignificant issue!

Hi Guys. Not overly surprised but got a blank screen on Imac running OS 10.4.11 with ATI Radeon HD2400 XT chipset. Have another mac working so not a big deal just thought I'd let you know of a system that wouldn't work.

Thanks

Hi Guys. Not overly surprised but got a blank screen on Imac running OS 10.4.11 with ATI Radeon HD2400 XT chipset. Have another mac working so not a big deal just thought I'd let you know of a system that wouldn't work.

Thanks

Thanks for the report!

Works for Me, thank the Lord, I would be Bummed.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac11,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i3

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.64f5

Serial Number (system):

Hardware UUID:

ATI Radeon HD 5670:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5670

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68c0

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B9850H-133

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.416

Displays:

iMac:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Connection Type: DisplayPort

Display Connector:

After seeing all the other test results posted I had decided I didn't need to run the test on my MacBook Pro, but curiosity got the best of me and I ran it anyway.  Just as I had assumed, it's gonna work just fine on my two and a half year old MacBook Pro running OS 10.5.8 with 512mb vram and 4gb ram.  Thank you very much for the tester!

Better to be safe than sorry! Glad you ran the test, Steven. Thanks for the report! :)