CTD / No Sound

mrogelthorpe

Hi,

I bought the TBM 900 a couple days ago and have been having various issues since. Could not complete a flight without a CTD within the first 20 minutes. Xplane would just shut down after freezing for about 30 seconds - no error displayed or other info. Reduced my texture settings to "High" and have not had a CTD since; however, it's still not exactly a pleasant flying experience. Every 5 to 10 minutes, the sim will freeze up for 10-15 seconds and then eventually pick back up. The last time this happened to me, the visuals were able to recover, but the sound dropped out completely. Can someone please help? I've heard great things about this aircraft, but at the moment it's just not something I can fly without worrying about the sim crashing halfway (or less) through the flight. I've attached the log.txt from after one of the crashes and the other file is the log after the issue where the sound dropped out. Happy to provide any other documentation requested. Thanks in advance.

Dane

Log.txt

Log_no sound.txt

Right away I can see you only have 16GB of RAM.  Do you have any ortho scenery installed?  Many times, a pause every 5-10 minutes is scenery tiles loading. 

Also, can you try removing XJet?  It looks like that might be chewing up a ton of your RAM.

Edited by Goran_M

Thanks Goran. I'll give this a shot after work and see if removing XJet improves anything and let you know.

Just curious - what would be your minimum and recommended amounts of RAM to run the TBM without issue? I didn't see any system specs (maybe I missed them?) and even though I know more would be better, I've never had any major issues running other aircraft. 

Thanks again - will report back this evening. 

It's very hard to gauge, but Saso made it a point to make sure it runs well on his machine.  And he's running an i5, GTX970 Linux machine, and getting acceptable fps on mid settings.  I'd say the bare minimum of memory you would need is 16GB with little to no plugins.  If you have more than the average amount of plugins running, you would need 32.  

Edited by Goran_M

Hi Goran,

Removed XJet and tried a flight. Overall, it seemed smoother and more stable for the first 10 minutes or so (cloud cover was considerably less today as well, so maybe that had something to do with it), but then ran into issues again. During climb, the sim seemed to hang up for about 10 seconds, then got a loud buzzing/feedback sound on the speakers, visuals picked back up, but the sound had dropped out completely. I tried inactivating/reactivating sound via the xplane menu and keyboard commands, but it wouldn't come back. I don't have any ortho scenery installed at the moment and honestly have never had stutters/pauses like this flying any other aircraft, so I'm not sure what's happening. I do plan to upgrade my RAM eventually, but until I can do that, I hope there's something else we can do to at least get the TBM flyable. Thanks in advance for the help.I'm attaching the log from the latest test flight. 

Dane

Log.txt

Hi,

I went ahead and upgraded my PC with another 16gb of RAM...32gb total now. Attempted another flight and while I made it somewhat further than I did last time, I still had a sudden and unexpected crash about 20 minutes into the flight. The program froze up for about 10 seconds and then just closed. I'm not sure what else to try at this point, but unfortunately I don't feel like this aircraft can be counted on to make it through a flight. Are there any other ideas you have? Thanks.

Dane

Log.txt

This looks like either your scenery is corrupted or the weather software.  I've sent your log to Saso to take a look.

Usually, the sim crashes could be attributed to a combination of add ons or the another add on could be conflicting with the TBM.  Most of the time, it's the latter.  Livetraffic is an example.  The TBM is more than reliable, but every plugin you throw into the mix risks some kind of a crash.  It's no ones fault.  It's just the nature of the beast.  We can all only try to fix the problems as they come up.  

Appreciate your patience.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hello mrogelthorpe and Goran_M,

mrogelthorpe said:
"...the sim will freeze up for 10-15 seconds and then eventually pick back up. The last time this happened to me, the visuals were able to recover, but the sound dropped out completely"
"...then got a loud buzzing/feedback sound on the speakers, visuals picked back up, but the sound had dropped out completely"

I've been having the exact same problem, same behaviour as described above for a while now. So after some unsuccessful trials... I decided to go the long way:
I reinstalled Windows 10 (!), then X-Plane, then the TBM-900. That's all. No other plugins, no scenery/airport/library packages, no HD Mesh, no AI, no weather, and... no Ortho4XP tiles.
The problem IS still happening. And by looking at the times in the log.txt file, I can tell that it always happens when XPlane is loading some scenery (entry of the type: I/SCN: DSF load time:).

I have documented the last issue occurrence I had, and the LOG.TXT file is attached as well as the DATA.TXT that you can ask XPLANE to generate (this file is actually converted to DataE51.xlsx).
This time I was climbing out of Bagdad (E51), AZ (day time, no weather) when suddenly the buzzing sound started at around 14:40:45 (as noted from my phone's clock) and then no sound at all (inside or outside the aircraft) a second later. You'll be able to see the fps dropping in the DATA file.
A look at the LOG file confirms that there is some scenery loading at this moment. The sim did not crash and the fps recovered but without any sound. I quit the flight just a few minutes later.

FYI I have noticed in some other problematic flights that the sound was sometimes:
1- redirected to "VA32AQ NVIDIA High Definition Audio" (an audio channel via the HDMI cable to the built-in speaker in my monitor) or,
2- redirected to "Realtek Digital Output" (in which case I could not hear anything), or
3- The default audio output "Realtek Audio Speakers" was JUST GONE, not existing anymore, and a reboot was required to get it back!

I have never had issues like that with any other aircrafts (payware or not), so I'm pretty sure there is something with this one...

mrogelthorpe, my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-H270-HD3; I'm wondering what's yours?

Surely hope you guys can help, thanks very much!

DataE51.xlsx

Log.txt

Hi Ricky,

I've managed to get through a couple flights recently without issue. Not really sure how - I haven't changed anything other than adding the RAM, but I had a crash after I did that. I have started turning down the AA settings when getting near clouds, but I still get the long pauses/stutters. Luckily on the last two flights, I didn't lose sound but it still is unnerving every time it freezes up for 10-15 seconds. My motherboard is ASRock B215 Pro 4.