The engine has accumulated fuel residue

toby23

I have just purchased the TBM900 and have started it for the first time.

Upon following the first tutorial, when I am supposed to introduce fuel (move out of cutoff), I get the text error pop up saying 'Caution, the engine has accumulated fuel residue'.

I have had this twice now, the first engine start led to a fire, the second worked after manually moving the throttle into cutoff (by default it wasn't in cutoff).

What am I doing wrong?

I do have the FlyAgi tweak plugin installed, as well as X-Camera and X_ATC chatter. Are there any known conflicts with plug-ins or am I doing something wrong?

I noticed that the tutorial doesn't mention setting 'ignition' to ON but the engines won't start without it.

Thanks for any tips and help,

Toby

Edited by toby23

4 hours ago, toby23 said:

I noticed that the tutorial doesn't mention setting 'ignition' to ON but the engines won't start without it.

It does state in the manual about setting the (1.) ignition state and to check that the (6.) throttle is in cut off... On page 33 section 5.2 "Initial Cockpit Check" 

1. On the overhead, make sure that all switches and levers are DOWN except for the IGNITION switch, which should be in the AUTO position.

2. All DE ICE panel switches are DOWN.

3. The parking brake is ON. To insure the parking brake is properly engaged, fully depress the toe brakes and rotate the parking brake knob clockwise to the 3 o’clock position.

4. The landing gear lever is DOWN.

5. The MAN OVRD lever is fully back.

6. The throttle is CUT OFF.

7. The flaps selector is UP.

8. The A/C switch is OFF.

9. The alternate static and ram air intake valves are fully pushed in.

10. All circuit breakers are pushed in.

4 hours ago, toby23 said:

when I am supposed to introduce fuel (move out of cutoff)

And (4.)fuel introduction is stated on page 35 section 5.5

1. Initiate the starting process by holding the STARTER switch in the ON position for approximately two seconds. The starter will latch and continue accelerating the engine, so you can release the STARTER switch.

2. Check the CAS display and verify that both the STARTER and IGNITION messages are shown.

3. Verify that NG is more than 13% and ITT is less than 150°C. If the ITT is very high (e.g. right after a previous shutdown), perform a dry engine motoring to cool the engine prior to attempting a new start.

4. Allow the NG to stabilize near maximum motoring rpm. The minimum NG required before fuel introduction is 13%, however, allowing the engine to accelerate to a slightly higher NG will produce a cooler start. If by 10 seconds after initiating the start the NG has not reached 13%, abort the start by placing the STARTER switch momentarily to the OFF position.

5. Click and drag the throttle lever to the LOW IDLE position. The click system is set up to only drag the lever forward one notch, so you don’t have to be very precise with the mouse.

6. Monitor engine light off, ITT evolution and NG acceleration. We are looking for the following sequence of events: A rise in ITT within 10 seconds of having positioned the throttle to LOW IDLE. If this is not observed, return the throttle to CUT OFF and let the starter run for the full 60 second cycle.

Here's a great video done by Dasher on the TBM 900 startup.

• Like 1