openAl errors in log.txt only in VR

jrKok

Hi all,

I'm new here but a long time user of the .org for X Plane (same username). I'm really enjoying hotstart's TBM 900.

I have an odd issue with sound. The sound plays perfectly well in 2D and VR (vive pro) but when I use the model in VR, my log.txt gets flooded by similar error messages about playing some .wav files (see attached log).  I've tried to output the sound to usb devices, the headset, the internal speakers and to the other realtek ports. These errors get written very fast and the log.txt can get pretty huge in that way. Sometimes I'll get an out of memory error if the log.txt gets too big. The thing is even stranger since I don't have any error when I use the TBM in 2D. There is no error written when I go from 2D to VR either. This issue occurs only when I start directly in VR. I haven't been able yet to detect if the error stems from X Plane which might initialise openAL differently when starting in VR or if the internal initialisation procedures in the TBM plugins are slightly different when starting in VR... Anyway I attach my log here and will file a bug with laminar as well.

Thanks for your hard work.

Edit : I just saw this issue was mentionned over here. (BTW I don't see rain effects in my Vive headset, I will try the rift later on, not very important for me). I've already reinstalled the TBM twice, switched back to 11.34 to no avail.

Log.txt

TBM900_Log.txt

Edited by jrKok

Hi,

I've solved the issue. I took 2 steps but I don't know which one exactly did the thing for me. Normally when experimenting I check results after every step but I was a bit tired and therefore forgot to check after my first step. So what I did was to simply install openAL on my PC directly from their website (download the installer, run the installer, don't know what it did but it was fast, I suspect it put openAL32.dll and perhaps some libs somewhere). Then I deleted openAL32.dll from the "X-Plane 11\Resources\dlls\64" directory. I run XPlane's installer again to download the latest .dll and tested. No more errors in my log.txt. 

I was surprised because I always thought the sounds worked well. I was a bit suprised that putting the headphones on didn't affect sound but now I know that I was really wrong. After correcting my issue, what a change to the TBM900's soundscape ! Awesome. This model keeps astonishing me by its depth.

A big thanks to the developers.

• Like 1