White flashes in VR headset - version 4.8

RetiredBoom

I'm getting quick white flashes in my Oculus headset. This also occurred in the previous SkyMaxx version.

Is there a setting that will alleviate this? I've tried all default x-plane settings with no other plugins except SkyMaxx Pro. 

Thanks for any advice. Love SkyMaxx.....just need to get this issue resolved. (only happens when using SkyMaxx)

Edited by RetiredBoom

Can't say I've seen that, but I'm using a Vive Pro here. Might it be connected to framerate dropping below some threshold the Oculus requires? I'd try lowering SkyMaxx Pro's cloud draw area setting to reduce its load, and disable any SMP features you don't need as a test (shadows, reflections, crepuscular rays, lens flare, turn terrain blending to 0). If that fixes it, start re-enabling the features you want until the issue re-occurs.

If other users are seeing this, please chime in here.

10 hours ago, sundog said:

Can't say I've seen that, but I'm using a Vive Pro here. Might it be connected to framerate dropping below some threshold the Oculus requires? I'd try lowering SkyMaxx Pro's cloud draw area setting to reduce its load, and disable any SMP features you don't need as a test (shadows, reflections, crepuscular rays, lens flare, turn terrain blending to 0). If that fixes it, start re-enabling the features you want until the issue re-occurs.

If other users are seeing this, please chime in here.

Thanks, Sundog. I'll keep troubleshooting my system. I just upgraded from Rift to Rift S and the problem persists. 

Thank you for the quick response and suggestions. 

I set VR up according to the user manual recommendations. I only get the white flash when flying through clouds, so it's like the cloud actually comes through the aircraft into the headset for some reason. It's kind of like the same thing the rain used to do......right through the aircraft.

I fly GA in VFR, so I usually stay away from the clouds and the issue is avoidable. 

By far this is the best looking and most accurate weather environment for X-Plane, and I've tried them ALL. 

Thank you for continuing to improve. Salute.

Edited by RetiredBoom

Oh, that could definitely be the case. In VR mode, X-Plane does not draw the cockpit over everything else as it does in non-VR. We had some correspondence with Laminar about this a couple of months ago; if we think up a way around it we'll address it in our next update. 

Edited by sundog
  • Like 1