Standby alternator - Deathtrap reversed video RED! [SOLVED]

jvp89

Hello, just to comfirm... I believe e didn't do nothing wrong and I believe that I didn't use the standby alternator.....

I'm flying with Pilotedge... did perhaps they put the malfunction??

Just to make sure Its not me and its something else..

Cheers!!

Captura de Ecrã (10).png

Edited by skiselkov

The Standby alternator is wearing out just from doing the checklist, I had to replace the alternator in the previous flight because it had failed. And just now after checking it after a 1 hour flight its showing as VERY WORN. All I did was turn it on for about 5 seconds during the checklist to confirm it was working. It only had a load of about 48 amps during the test and it seems this was enough to almost kill it.

Just a small tip, an alternator cannot reach EOL just because it is providing its full capable load, it also cannot possibly provide more than it's rated output. In this situation it just wont provide enough power to charge the battery and the battery will eventually lose its charge. The alternator will still continue to output its maximum rated output even with a fully discharged battery. It will reach EOL sooner if run at max output continuously, but I can assure you its life is longer than an hour.

34 minutes ago, Andydigital said:

The Standby alternator is wearing out just from doing the checklist, I had to replace the alternator in the previous flight because it had failed. And just now after checking it after a 1 hour flight its showing as VERY WORN. All I did was turn it on for about 5 seconds during the checklist to confirm it was working. It only had a load of about 48 amps during the test and it seems this was enough to almost kill it.

Just a small tip, an alternator cannot reach EOL just because it is providing its full capable load, it also cannot possibly provide more than it's rated output. In this situation it just wont provide enough power to charge the battery and the battery will eventually lose its charge. The alternator will still continue to output its maximum rated output even with a fully discharged battery. It will reach EOL sooner if run at max output continuously, but I can assure you its life is longer than an hour.

Do you have "Accelerated Wear" checked?

2 hours ago, Goran_M said:

STBY Gen shouldn't be EOL after that short a time period.  I'll take a look on my end.  This might be a case of having to delete your state files.  But let me check and I'll get back to you before or during the weekend.

I think It could be a bug because I never tested the Sdby Gen and the plane as you can see have only 36Hrs of use.

Looks like the manufacture(hotstart) should send his customers a FOTL for the issues in the sdby alt. And perhaps implement a new procedure to minimize the wear of the part.. mine showing that Report, I could get about 15amps from it.. not the best cause if the main fails the sdby makes the Battery discharging slowly... or else send a corrected and reinforced updated part to its customers...

:)

cheers

• Like 1

I've found the source of the issue. We had implemented a workaround for excessive amps draw in XP11.30 and later, however, this wasn't being applied in the wear model. So the wear model still though the alternator was being overloaded. Will be fixed in next update.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

@skiselkov

Hello. I Purchased this AC a couple days ago. Today marks my 3rd flight with her. Brilliant Aircraft!. I've been saving up for it, and not disappointed. 

I do want to point out, that for some reason this "bug" still exist. I downloaded the AC on Sunday August 11th. So it should be the latest version.  Is there a web page I need to go to to update the AC to a different version which the store download gave me? 

Last night I flew the AC and this part broke ( Standby Alternator ). I replaced the part after the flight. 

Today's flight. 1.5 hours on the same part resulted with yet another broken part and I needed to replace the entire part.  Repairing for cheaper is not an option for some reason. 

I am running XP11.34.  I have not updated to 11.35 yet. 

I assume that the part is breaking when, like the others, i am going through the checklist and test the backup Gen. It appears to work correctly on the MFD. I make sure the amps are LT 80, and it still breaks it. 

Anyway, I guess I'll skip this test for the time being. 

Thank you. 

Dave. 

On 8/13/2019 at 5:08 PM, Chase911 said:

I do want to point out, that for some reason this "bug" still exist. I downloaded the AC on Sunday August 11th. So it should be the latest version.  Is there a web page I need to go to to update the AC to a different version which the store download gave me? 

You have the latest. Said update has not yet been released.

The last update was released in April. Saso's post was made in May.