Gear stuck on landing, what should I have done?

Irish Murphy

This morning in the TBM I was making a flight from KEYW to KTPA and everything was going good until gear down... Right gear stuck and would not come down. Tried about 5 times to lower and retract in hopes of jarring it loose but that didn’t work. Well after a go around I decided the best thing would be probably to just go gear up and belly land in the grass next to the runway.

Landed smooth but as soon as the prop hit I had an engine fire and of course after that there was nothing to do but write off the airframe. One question.. should I have properly shut the engine down right before touchdown to prevent fuel residue? I’m guessing this is what caused the fire. I’m sure I may have needed a new airframe even without the fire but it really sucked because I had a lot of hours on that particular airframe.

50 minutes ago, Irish Murphy said:

This morning in the TBM I was making a flight from KEYW to KTPA and everything was going good until gear down... Right gear stuck and would not come down. Tried about 5 times to lower and retract in hopes of jarring it loose but that didn’t work. Well after a go around I decided the best thing would be probably to just go gear up and belly land in the grass next to the runway.

Landed smooth but as soon as the prop hit I had an engine fire and of course after that there was nothing to do but write off the airframe. One question.. should I have properly shut the engine down right before touchdown to prevent fuel residue? I’m guessing this is what caused the fire. I’m sure I may have needed a new airframe even without the fire but it really sucked because I had a lot of hours on that particular airframe.

I´d say shutting off the fuel might be wise to keep the fuel away from the hot engine, though I haven´t looked at the checklist.  Just curious if you tried to manually lower the gear.  

14 minutes ago, Gregg Seipp said:

I´d say shutting off the fuel might be wise to keep the fuel away from the hot engine, though I haven´t looked at the checklist.  Just curious if you tried to manually lower the gear.  

Dang!!! I totally forgot about doing that, At least I know to try that next time... thanks 

On 4/7/2019 at 3:26 PM, Gregg Seipp said:

I´d say shutting off the fuel might be wise to keep the fuel away from the hot engine, though I haven´t looked at the checklist.

Yep... Once you are positive you are going to make the runway the checklist says Throttle to Flight idle and fuel selector to OFF.

On 4/7/2019 at 3:42 PM, Irish Murphy said:

Dang!!! I totally forgot about doing that, At least I know to try that next time... thanks

That's an expensive OOPS...:D

Climb to a safe altitude and extend the gear manually making sure the gear lever is in the down position.  The procedure is in the manual. Will take quite a few pumps of the extension handle in the floor.  Recently happened to me and that’s how I got my gear down and landed safely.

50 minutes ago, cbreeze said:

Climb to a safe altitude and extend the gear manually making sure the gear lever is in the down position.  The procedure is in the manual. Will take quite a few pumps of the extension handle in the floor.  Recently happened to me and that’s how I got my gear down and landed safely.

Why's it happening so much?  Statistically, this shouldn't happen to once in a very blue moon.

4 hours ago, Gregg Seipp said:

Why's it happening so much?  Statistically, this shouldn't happen to once in a very blue moon.

New users and rough landings most likely and not checking the maintenance screen before each flight. 

I'm still on my very first air frame I started when I got the TBM... I've not had one issue or emergency with it. Coming up on about 150 hours(with accelerated wear active) in it with the most money spent on oil changes, left gear, left brake work. Crosswind landing tweaked the gear when I landed. 

4 minutes ago, ChefRob said:

New users and rough landings most likely and not checking the maintenance screen before each flight. 

I'm still on my very first air frame I started when I got the TBM... I've not had one issue or emergency with it. Coming up on about 150 hours(with accelerated wear active) in it with the most money spent on oil changes, left gear, left brake work. Crosswind landing tweaked the gear when I landed. 

I'm not that good either.  I've pranged two airframes simply rolling down the runway.