Update on VR?

Cyrex1984

Great plane, really the best GA airplane out there, so congratulations, but it is not so VR friendly. It’d be really amazing if you could fix the ice and rain effects in VR, plus adding an AviTab (as many other airplanes had). The tablet could allow using the airframe manager, maintenance, payload, and so on, as for 737 Zibo, without the need to get out of VR. That would make this airplane absolutely the best for GA and attract many avid shoppers that as many of us only fly in VR. Really, once you’ve tried VR there is no way back to a flat screen. I hope the developers are realizing this and the VR potential.

Thanks again for making possible this amazing plane.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone got any up to date usage statistics concerning VR.  I found this post which suggests that following the release of 11.20 only 2.65% of users had ever flown a VR flight.  Whilst I appreciate things might have changed since last year it would seems likely that VR is still used by a fairly small number of users.  With this in mind it would make sense for Hotstart to prioritize more serious issues or issues affecting more users over VR quality of life improvements.

@boredtechie FIrst of all, you are absolutely correct.  More serious issues and issues affecting the most users should be prioritized in my opinion as well (although, really, who are we to say what "should" be priority...i.e. maybe a huge, daunting issue is causing a bit of "head banging against the wall", and so - lets crank out something easy to make someone happy to get a little victory, then jump back into the more serious issue a bit more refreshed...)

Anyway, using that report is bonkers.  Here's why -->  11.20 was the first release of natively supported VR.  It released on May the 7th.  The usage data was as of June 4th, not even a month later.  I don't know the numbers, but I don't give much stock in that report to try and estimate the numbers of VR.

• Like 1

Once VR always VR. I can't see myself flying non VR. Majority of the headset were sold during Thanksgiving and end of the year.  Steam reporting more VR headset being used then number of LInux users. Actually TBM VR is pretty good just need a way to access those special screens for maintenance without moving the headset. Rest just works.  

This is a TBM 900 flight I completed today in VR.

• Upvote 1

You don't invest in the future once you're already there, Hotstart should lead the way encouraging more users to adopt. With them already partnering with SimVRLabs that's a good start, but if they continue to push VR support for this and their other aircraft then that can only be a good thing. 

Once Vulkan arrives I think we'll see the VR population increase as right now VR has compromises.

Likewise the VR industry is moving. Oculus are announcing a 1.5 generation headset soon, the Rift S, with even greater tech to come ( see half dome).

I also think VR will bring a new generation of simmers. For me personally I never had an interest in aviation, until I tried the xp11demo with the Rift. Since I've been hooked.

I had tried flying on the monitor at multiple times through my life, but never cared for it.

Being sat in front of a screen is no comparison to being inside the aircraft. Clicking things with the mouse is no comparison to reaching out and grabbing levers and flicking switches. 

That's my ten cents anyway 

Edited by ManxJason
  • Upvote 1

I would still have to say I support Hotstart in prioritising the exception handling over quality of life improvements for a small percentage of users maybe 15%.  Having accurate logs will help Hotstart identify and resolve the remaining little issues in a more effective manner freeing resource for other things.  

I think we can all agree Hotstart have provided admirable support to date and that we can have confidence in their backlog prioritization.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boredtechie said:

I would still have to say I support Hotstart in prioritising the exception handling over quality of life improvements for a small percentage of users maybe 15%.  Having accurate logs will help Hotstart identify and resolve the remaining little issues in a more effective manner freeing resource for other things.  

I think we can all agree Hotstart have provided admirable support to date and that we can have confidence in their backlog prioritization.  

Absolutely agree on that, improve the foundations first. I'm purely arguing the case for VR and that it is the future regardless of pessimism.

Working in the industry I'm a little bias but I also get to experience frequently skeptisism converting to pure amazement and excitement.

• 2 weeks later...