joystick/throttles

RobertC

Hello folks, had several flights with all my favorite plugins, and no issues other than a ctd once in awhile.

im using  the ch eclipse yoke, and im wondering is there a way to control both throttles in the tbm 900.

Meaning I can move the throttle too low idle, and then move it to high idle.

But then how do I get it to shift left and then control the taxi and thrust.

Seems I cannot have it both ways.

Most of the fighter plane jet yolks and throttles , like the hotas  warthog set up. the throttles are on the left(for left hand use).

If I could find one with the throttles on the right , I might make it work. or perhaps using the mixture and flap axis.

Is there a way to have the mixture axis and the flaps axis control the low to high idle and then have the main throttle control the take off speed and reverser?

In other words, is there a way to control the throttles with the yolk only?

And that for other yolks out here also, is there a way.

THX>>>>>>>>>RobertC

Bind either a toggle switch, two buttons or two keys to "mixture up" and "mixture down" to move between flight idle -> high idle -> low idle -> cutoff. This takes you up and down the right side and from left to right.

Once the stick is over on the left your throttle axis of whatever controller you have controls the stick movement up and down the left side.

Also on the left side, you need another key/button to drop the throttle into taxi range .. in there real plane there's a physical stop that you have to move before lowering into taxi range. I don't remember what that command you bind to this button is but it's in the manual.

If your throttle controller has a detent in it then that can be your flight idle spot. If not (mine doesn't), it's a little weird, but they've done a good job of giving you a visual reference as to where the virtual throttle stick is relative to your physical control. 

Edited by Shinjo

Thx for the quick response, hhhmmm im wondering though can I use the mixture axis and the flap axis and not just the keys or buttons.

I can move the flaps a notch at a time by just moving the flaps axis a little at a time.

Seems like I should be able to assign the mixture axis to move the lever from lo to high.

So let me ask is it possible to control the tbm throttles solely using axis only and not buttons.

Thx....RobertC

45 minutes ago, Shinjo said:

Bind either a toggle switch, two buttons or two keys to "mixture up" and "mixture down" to move between flight idle -> high idle -> low idle -> cutoff. This takes you up and down the right side and from left to right.

Once the stick is over on the left your throttle axis of whatever controller you have controls the stick movement up and down the left side.

Also on the left side, you need another key/button to drop the throttle into taxi range .. in there real plane there's a physical stop that you have to move before lowering into taxi range. I don't remember what that command you bind to this button is but it's in the manual.

If your throttle controller has a detent in it then that can be your flight idle spot. If not (mine doesn't), it's a little weird, but they've done a good job of giving you a visual reference as to where the virtual throttle stick is relative to your physical control. 

@Shinjo The toggle switch on the left side of the throttle is the beta switch in the TBM assignments, to cycle from flight to taxi/reverse mode.

> The toggle switch on the left side of the throttle is the beta switch in the TBM assignments, to cycle from flight to taxi/reverse mode. 

Hi DwightP980. Unless I misunderstand you: the switch on the left side is actually the TOGA button. To go into Taxi/Reverse, there's a flight idle lockout lever in front of the throttle to lift the lever back over a gate. To simulate that, assign a button to "sim/engines/thrust_reverse_toggle".

With 3 buttons, set to "sim/engines/mixture_up", "sim/engines/mixture_down" and "sim/engines/thrust_reverse_toggle", it all works really well to power the engine up/down and to taxi/reverse thrust.

Capture.JPG

@RdtcmttsaNot sure how you would use an axis for these since sim/engines/mixture_down(up) and sim/engines/thrust_reverse_toggle are commands not datarefs. An axis sets values as it moves (e.g., 0 to 128), it doesn't send commands typically.

You might be able to use something like Spad.Next to set conditions on the axis (i.e., to send commands as the axis crosses a certain value), but seems more trouble than its worth.

Unfortunately the TBM 900 has a unique throttle mechanism that doesn't really match up 1:1 with what we have in the sim world. Flipping switches to set idle statuses may be immersion breaking but I don't know of a way around it unless you 3D print a custom throttle quadrant.

Hmmm .... image.png.26bb422d1fa0b11a48c1a2cf0af59614.png

Edited by Shinjo

48 minutes ago, Shinjo said:

You might be able to use something like Spad.Next to set conditions on the axis (i.e., to send commands as the axis crosses a certain value), but seems more trouble than its worth.

I would really like to use Spadnext for that purpose, but it wouldn't work because we just have the two commands, up and down. We would need a dedicated command for cutoff, low idle, high idle and flight idle. Then it would be easily manageable to use a custom axis to send these commands at a certain point. 

@shinjo:

> Unfortunately the TBM 900 has a unique throttle mechanism that doesn't really match up 1:1 with what we have in the sim world. Flipping switches to set idle statuses may be immersion breaking but I don't know of a way around it unless you 3D print a custom throttle quadrant.

Yeah... I use a yoke left handed and a Thrustmaster TWCS throttle right handed to make things as real as I can. Using the TWCS right handed is not really what it's designed for but it's great for the TBM 900. I assign the up button as flight idle lockout lever for going to taxi/reverse, and two buttons for moving the throttle from flight idle <-> high idle <-> low idle <-> cutoff . Works out really well.

twcs.jpg

Actually you can use Spad.neXt however in doing so I had issues with the commands sending double inputs at times so it wasn't reliable enough to not cause problems.

I have allocated the up mixture to one rocker switch on a spare Saitek throttle I have mounted upside down beneath my PFC throttles & the down mixture to the other side of the rocker. This way I can use the one switch to operate the throttle till it gets to flight idle then take over with my PFC throttle to handle the rest of the operational ranges. Using Spad.neXt I have also allocated a short push on the toga button to activate the TOGA & a long push to enter Taxi/Reverse mode. So far has been working pretty well.