“Never Change Visible Weather” question/problem

perwel

This thing does not seem to work or works strange to me.

Quote from man:
"When this option is disabled, the clouds around you will fade out and new clouds will fade in if new weather conditions for the world are received."

No it just change clouds and position with a big pop, no fade at all.

If I have it checked is like a surprise. I approached LEPA (it was checked to not change anything) and the area was clear. Suddenly like a bang visibility went down to 20Km and wind changed 50 degree.
I was low and slow so I had to turn off AP to get control of the aircraft, zibomods latest B738. After landing I checked FSGRW to see the weather and it was correct, it was like I saw out side.

Any idea what is wrong? I have not had those smooth cloud changes for the last 7 flights. The only thing is that FSGRW have done a good job with no sudden changes in wind only slow changes.
Until today, clouds, visibility and wind changed in a fraction of a second.

With "never change visible weather" on, cloud conditions don't fade in and out surrounding you, but you'll only see new cloud formations as you fly into them as the appear over the horizon. If that option is on, the only case where the clouds themselves should change is if you suddenly move to a new location, or if you cross a one-degree tile boundary in X-Plane which can cause the local coordinate system to shift slightly, and cause the clouds to move slightly as a result.

If however visibility is suddenly changing, then that would affect what clouds you see or don't see from the viewpoint suddenly as well.

Edited by sundog

3 minutes ago, sundog said:

With "never change visible weather" on, cloud conditions don't fade in and out surrounding you, but you'll only see new cloud formations as you fly into them as the appear over the horizon. If that option is on, the only case where the clouds themselves should change is if you suddenly move to a new location, or if you cross a one-degree tile boundary in X-Plane which can cause the local coordinate system to shift slightly, and cause the clouds to move slightly as a result.

If however visibility is suddenly changing, then that would affect what clouds you see or don't see from the viewpoint suddenly as well.

I have this setting OFF but instead of fading in/out they just popup or pop disappear. Not what it says in the manual

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you had it on based on your original message.

Looking at the code, new clouds should fade in over 10 seconds when you have "never change visible weather" unchecked. You might be crossing a tile boundary as I described. We'll do some tests to make sure it's working as expected.

Did some testing, and things seem to be working as they should here. My guess would be that you're crossing a one-degree tile boundary, which can cause the clouds to visibly and suddenly shift in position a little as X-Plane moves into a new coordinate system. Or, you might have the "cloud area covered" setting in SkyMaxx Pro's configuration set too low. That might cause new cloud layers to appear too close to your viewpoint, which might be distracting.

For reference, a properly configured FSGRW / SMP / RWC setup should look something like this. This was taken just now near Seattle. If your clouds don't look like that, it may indicate a configuration issue.

F-4_72.png

They do not just move a little, clouds are replaced with some other density, shapes and so on. Like weather/metar have changed a lot.

Can sometimes happen 5-10 times during a 1 hour flight.

RWC is set to FSGRW.
That fade in and out I have never ever seen. My cover is set to 55000 so clouds can be seen almost to the horizon, like your picture
I will do a flight and take some pics, do not have the nvidia experience (or what it is called) so I can not make a video, tried it once and it just caused trouble for me.
My desktop went crazy like nVidia taken control of it. So I uninstalled it.

XP 11.30r3. nVidia 1060 6Gb driver 417.22 (can the driver version cause this)
win7 64 Prof i5 3.9Ghz 16 Gb SSDs drives. Asus 97-A

Did a flight with Never Change set/active and that one worked, no sudden changes. I flew into new cloud areas.
But instead at my destination weather did not match with metar except the wind, wind was spot on but I hade almost OC but metar said scattered at high level. No big deal, most important is the wind. So maybe switch off Never Change when approaching dest. Best is if that fade does work for me.

I am a programmer since 30+ years and build all my PCs so you can be very technical if you want me to check something.

8 hours ago, sundog said:

Did some testing, and things seem to be working as they should here. My guess would be that you're crossing a one-degree tile boundary, which can cause the clouds to visibly and suddenly shift in position a little as X-Plane moves into a new coordinate system. Or, you might have the "cloud area covered" setting in SkyMaxx Pro's configuration set too low. That might cause new cloud layers to appear too close to your viewpoint, which might be distracting.

For reference, a properly configured FSGRW / SMP / RWC setup should look something like this. This was taken just now near Seattle. If your clouds don't look like that, it may indicate a configuration issue.

F-4_72.png

On 2/8/2019 at 1:20 PM, sundog said:

Some images, together with your log.txt and fsgrwrsmp.rwx files, would be helpful.

Hi

I have tried to capture before and after screen dumps with no luck. So I have installed nVidia Experience and have ShadowPlay now working, after a lot of problems.

Anyway! I will record a whole flight and edit it after to cut it down with only those things we have talked about.

But what I have seen is that it looks like replacement of clouds happens at the same time that you adjust clouds because of XP.
I am not 100% sure, sometimes when adjustments happens exact same clouds is still there and sometimes clouds are added or disappear.

Can you check the code about these adjustments to check exactly how it is done. Maybe there is a fade in/out is about to happen exactly the same time.
So new clouds are set after adjustment instead of the before/present one. Hope you understand what I mean.

/Per W
Sweden