Spontaneous Engine Fire... roll... then crashed game.

Bryan @ The Aviation Agenc

So... was flying tonight when literally the engine overheated without warning and had a serious fire at FL300.

Immediately went into emergency procedures... oxy, throttle, etc.

Immediately started descent... with fire shooting out the engine exhaust even after the fuel was cutoff (which strikes me as highly unlikely if the fire was in the engine.)

No fire in the compartment (some clipping issues when I went to descent - fire in the engine showing momentarily as in the G1000). No smoke in the compartment...

... then Xplane crashed as I was busy looking for an airport and coming down from FL300 like a freaking meteor as I must have also had control failures... it was rolling left suddenly too... 

... seriously weird. Never had that happen before. Engine just spontaneously decided - "yeah - time for you to die."

Even tho its a sim - still pretty jarring to hear FIRE. FIRE. (and the CAS lights up like it's Christmas). I was pretty certain the fire would have gone out once I killed all fuel... 

Thoughts?

I'm guessing the crash is just the marvel of Xplane. I have no idea whatsoever would have caused a sudden fuel fire. The plane's frame was brand spankety new.

Was pretty dicey keeping the plane stable... lol :) Kind of glad the game crashed.

Looking at the logs... I must have bumped something (admittedly I was flying in one screen and watching a YouTube Video in the other while the plane cruised)... 

The ITT went from 600 to 1200 in about a minute (if I understand the database interval)...  as soon as I got the fire warning... ITT drops when I shut off the engine... it was at 350 Degrees C before the game crashed...

Fuel flow by the way never stopped... even at max cut off. When the game crashed... I was still drawing 62 GPH according to the logs... if I read that correctly.

That would certainly explain why the plane was still on fire... even with the engines allegedly shut down.

The nozzles were full open throttle as I descended... even with the throttle set to full cut off?

LOL. Guess I'll need the simTSB to recover the black box... :)

log_190122_194502_KFCM.csv

I played it this morning... intentionally put the override on... and had an immediate flame out... so that's what must have happened. I must have had the override key mapped to something and bumped it.

That said... the engine still continued to burn even with full cutoff... full shut off.. and man override to zero...  I had everything shut off... but the gas was still full open and the flames everywhere as I descended.

One would think... that wouldn't happen... but what do you think? 

B