IPad App

Tassierob

For those with an IPad there is an excellent FREE app with Zero Advertising for this fantastic plane. All the emergency procedures and standard procedures plus performance data and fuel management are only a click away. There is even a quick reference that highlights the circuit breakers in Red. Search TBM Performance.

TBM Performance by POH Performance L.L.C.

I've been using the android version of the same app. been trying to do a 960(ish) NM flight to test accuracy but the plane in the sim says it will run out of fuel maybe half way there even though the app says I'll make it with 50 gals left over

Edited by tekrc

1 hour ago, tekrc said:

I've been using the android version of the same app. been trying to do a 960(ish) NM flight to test accuracy but the plane in the sim says it will run out of fuel maybe half way there even though the app says I'll make it with 50 gals left over

Interesting, I have not used the fuel calculations in the app yet but when I put in the same weights, temps and flight profiles as the real pilots manual the results are almost identical. The fuel calculator in the sim does not take into account climb speed, cruise throttle setting or descent profile so I am assuming it works on maximum fuel burn for max speed across the full flight range?. Atmospheric conditions add another variable you can’t input directly into the sim load/fuel burn calculator either. It makes a huge difference to calculations in the app how much initial info you input and how accurately to. 

I have planned a 1200nm trip with the app just to see how accurate the numbers are. (obviously I planned with long range cruise settings)

I found the app is almost spot on with fuel flow calculation and halfway to my destination I have burned roughly the amount of fuel I had expected by the numbers in the app.

In contrast, the calculated fuel remaining in the plane was completely wrong, indicating that I would be running out of fuel a bit more than halfway. 

Sadly I have not been able to complete that flight because of my problem with frame rate drops on long flights, so I can only say the app was spot on for the half of my flight. ;)

7 hours ago, cmbaviator said:

I use PFPX, much quicker and quite accurate

how? the one in pfpx is a different model with different performance and capabilities. the app has the model we use and just requires some info on the air frame to be accurate pfpx is great for getting and exporting routes. but I dont trust a calculation for the 850 to work on the 900

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tekrc said:

how? the one in pfpx is a different model with different performance and capabilities. the app has the model we use and just requires some info on the air frame to be accurate pfpx is great for getting and exporting routes. but I dont trust a calculation for the 850 to work on the 900

its the same engine, i just modified the weights config : DOW.... and add +10% of cruise fuel and its pretty much spot on. someone also made a 124/170 KIAS climb profile and as well 2 cruise profile: Max cruise speed and i can't remember the other one

7 hours ago, cmbaviator said:

its the same engine, i just modified the weights config : DOW.... and add +10% of cruise fuel and its pretty much spot on. someone also made a 124/170 KIAS climb profile and as well 2 cruise profile: Max cruise speed and i can't remember the other one

so? by that logic a king air would be the same performance if you double the fuel burn. same engine different plane. that same engine has to pull a bigger plane which effects all aspects of the flight.

you modified the weights? great thats what I asked about originally. what did you modify? maybe share the profile?

On 11/12/2018 at 2:24 AM, Tassierob said:

Interesting, I have not used the fuel calculations in the app yet but when I put in the same weights, temps and flight profiles as the real pilots manual the results are almost identical. The fuel calculator in the sim does not take into account climb speed, cruise throttle setting or descent profile so I am assuming it works on maximum fuel burn for max speed across the full flight range?. Atmospheric conditions add another variable you can’t input directly into the sim load/fuel burn calculator either. It makes a huge difference to calculations in the app how much initial info you input and how accurately to. 

yeah they are. the app is pretty accurate and you can use different profiles for climb, cruise, and descent. my problem is for long range the hs tbm runs out of fuel way too soon.

in the app, setting up a flight from klal-koun
I should make it there at 30kft long range cruise even with the 48kt headwind with reserve to spare. its a 966nm trip
but in sim I just barely make it to kmei to my reserve line. thats maybe halfway there? dont even think its that honestly

7 minutes ago, tekrc said:

so? by that logic a king air would be the same performance if you double the fuel burn. same engine different plane. that same engine has to pull a bigger plane which effects all aspects of the flight.

you modified the weights? great thats what I asked about originally. what did you modify? maybe share the profile?

the tbm 850 through 930 is I think 98% the same airframe wise, only the interior will change and avionic, you can have the G3000 with 930

TBM 850:

image.png.0d3cec92df93425ea2b59472078ddae1.png

910:

image.png.032037cfaab74e589b550839ca021993.png

930 :

image.png.f15bf5b391b99fc19d71f1c875b1a7be.png

you can see same dimension at 0.001m close + Same engine = same performance.

search PFPX in the forum and you will find a dropbox link