when Warthog meets TBM 900

cpuwolf

I'm curious about how you are binding an axis to the "Lo/IDLE" side of the throttle.  I can't seem to find an axis that let's me control that movement of the throttle from Cut-Off to Lo-Idle to Flight Idle.  I use a Saitek TQ.  The far left lever controls the left side of the throttle, and the center lever full-back button controls the "toggle reverse" switch.  I'd love to use the far right lever to control Cut-Off to Flight Idle.

9 hours ago, Ozav8r said:

Great little video! What axis are you binding to throttle detents (Feather, from Cut-off into Lo Idle into Hi Idle and then Into Flight Idle?) I've tried pretty much all available axis in x-plane 11 to no avail. Thanks!

I've programmed warthog dual throttle, the functionalities are not coming out from stock one

check link above

Edited by cpuwolf

4 hours ago, MMcCl said:

I'm curious about how you are binding an axis to the "Lo/IDLE" side of the throttle.  I can't seem to find an axis that let's me control that movement of the throttle from Cut-Off to Lo-Idle to Flight Idle.  I use a Saitek TQ.  The far left lever controls the left side of the throttle, and the center lever full-back button controls the "toggle reverse" switch.  I'd love to use the far right lever to control Cut-Off to Flight Idle.

what only we have is "mixture lean a bit" and "mixture rich a bit", so need  do some code work

Hi,

I also use a HOTAS Warthog set.
To manage the four states of the throttle control (Cut-off, Lo Idle, Hi Idle and Flight Idle), I use the red switch on the right side of the HOTAS Warthog Throttle (this switch has three positions: forward, neutral and backward. Neutral is the default position and after pressing this switch backward or forward, it automatically returns to the neutral position)

Setting is as this:
- push forward = "mixture rich a bit"
- pull backward = "mixture lean a bit"

Each time the red switch is pressed, I move the throttle between the four positions, in both directions.

Edited by Goofy

2 hours ago, Goofy said:

Hi,

I also use a HOTAS Warthog set.
To manage the four states of the throttle control (Cut-off, Lo Idle, Hi Idle and Flight Idle), I use the red switch on the right side of the HOTAS Warthog Throttle (this switch has three positions: forward, neutral and backward. Neutral is the default position and after pressing this switch backward or forward, it automatically returns to the neutral position)

Setting is as this:
- push forward = "rich a bit mixture"
- pull backward = "mixture lean a bit"

Each time the red switch is pressed, I move the throttle between the four positions, in both directions.

Thanks Goofy - I'll give your method a go. I think using one of the axis to achieve the OP's outcome would require using the Thrustmaster Target interface, and - as I'm a bear of very little brain - would rather try to avoid complicating matters unnecessarily.

Edited by Ozav8r
Clarifying what I meant

7 minutes ago, Goofy said:

It is indeed very simple, only X-Plane is required for this setting :)

For the reverse mode of the engine, I used button number 4 ("Right throttle knob press") in the X-Plane interface for the HOTAS Warthog Throttle:
=> Right throttle knob press = Toggle thrust reversers

Apologies Goofy, I've edited my original response for clarification. Your method was the easy one - the OP's would require Thrustmaster Target programming (I think). Thanks a lot - your method works great!

6 hours ago, Ozav8r said:

Apologies Goofy, I've edited my original response for clarification. Your method was the easy one - the OP's would require Thrustmaster Target programming (I think). Thanks a lot - your method works great!

yes I am talking about thrustmaster TARGET programming.

• 4 weeks later...

I accomplished this same task by utilizing flywithlua for those that don't want to use TARGET.

Here's what I used: (snipped from my much larger lua script for the TBM)

local mixture_axis = 25  -- Axis ID
joystick_axis = dataref_table("sim/joystick/joystick_axis_values") -- Table of all Joystick AXIS values
local axis = joystick_axis[25]

function feather_control()
	if(joystick_axis[mixture_axis] ~= axis) then
		if (joystick_axis[mixture_axis] > axis and joystick_axis[mixture_axis] - axis > .25 or joystick_axis[mixture_axis] == 1) then
			command_once("sim/engines/mixture_down")
			axis = joystick_axis[mixture_axis]
		elseif (joystick_axis[mixture_axis] < axis and axis - joystick_axis[25] > .25 or joystick_axis[mixture_axis] == 0) then
			command_once("sim/engines/mixture_up")
		end
	end
end

do_every_frame("feather_control()")

You can adjust the sensitivity for your taste by just changing the .25 in the function to something else.

Enjoy.

Brett

Edited by Brett Adams

I too use a button to toggle reverse thrust. I’m wondering though.....I workes great but it actually dumps the throttle straight into reverse thrust. Do you think it could cause long term wear and tear to the plane? I also had an incident where I used reverse thrust to move the plane backwards a little when almost standing still in a 14knot headwind. The plane tilted back on its elevators and tail.  I wonder if the abrupt dumping of reverse thrust, and me not reacting quick enough contributed to this. 

Edited by Captain744

There's no abrupt reverse thrust, as long as you don't pull your physical throttle all the way back while your virtual throttle is stopped at flight idle before you press your toggle key.

If you stop your physical throttle at flight idle, then press your toggle key, you will be able to smoothly bring it back to beta, then reverse range.

• 3 months later...

I POSTED THIS ON X-PLANE FORUM AND THEN I FOUND YOUR THREAD.  

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/173836-thrustmaster-target-gui-software-for-x-plane/

My ideal setup would program as much as possible to the Stick and Throttle to minimize keyboard interaction during flight. I am hoping one of you fine pilots has already thought of this and knows more about mapping the HOTAS inside the TARGET GUI than I will ever know or care to know and is willing to share profiles and or your wisdom and knowledge to help me achieve my goal. Whatever I end up with will of course be shared with all.

My Achilles heel with X-plane and most especially the G1000 equiped aircraft like the C172, and TBM 900, is with the mouse control. Zooming in and out while also hovering over a dial on the correct side and using the scroll wheel to change the dials, and let us not forget...we still have to fly the plane really ruins the immersion of the flight sim experience. If all I want to do is stick and Rudder VFR then all this is less of an issue, but I want a realistic IFR experience.
Description of what I envision...right, wrong or worded incorrectly here goes....
One aspect of critical control in the sim is to map mouse control over to the HOTAS. Leaving the mouse for X-plane GUI interaction only. An example would be to map 1 button or hat switch press to cycles through the COMM, NAV and FMS dials without having to position the mouse over the dial.  Once on the correct dial, use another mapped button, preferably on the throttle, to rotate the inner and  outer dials, (Mhz and Khz of the NAV/COMM and position of FMS),  then use say the Paddle on the Throttle (reminds me a a rocker style paddle Shifter in a sports car) to rotate the dial left or right to change the freq. or position (FMS). Another press of the cycle button and over to the NAV or COMM, and repeat the process to change what is needed. Another button to push in on the FMS dial or swap between COMM 1&2 or NAV 1&2 and one more to flipflop active and stndy by. Of Course there could be other buttons or axis used but the above will give you an idea if what I envision.
I've given some thought to how I might like what mapped where but without the skill to program the needed functions it would be a waste of time to express them all here. Instead of getting into that on this first post, I figured it best to frame the scenerio and let you all provide your thoughts to subject. Hopefully, something productive with come of this effort. I must admit I'm surprized no one has done this already or if they have I am in the wrong place inquiring.
Below is a response I received from a kind YouTuber  X_Bendable MaxRich I thought might be helpful and more illustrative for, again, you guys that have forgotten more about this stuff than I will ever know - sorry, I love that saying. X_Bendable MaxRich has a rather lengthy 1:21:11 video describing how he works the TARGET GUI software - again, all way over my head. Feel free to visit his link if this information is of interest to you(See posts below)

With all that said, what am I asking here? 
1.    Is there a forum that supports the THRUSTMASTER T.A.R.G.E.T. software  for x-plane or or share Profiles created for various aircraft?
2.    Do any of you use the Thrustmaster T16000M FCS Flight Pack and if so please reach out to me?
3.    Are you skilled in the use to the TARGET GUI and will to help me with the setup?
4.    Lastly, and according to X-Bendable, this stuff is addictive. He states in his quotes below, all this is doable. Perhaps so, but he has been using the GUI for over a year. I am of course very grateful he provided a detailed a response as he did, even though it's all way over my at this point.

"I just assign keys in the sim and then assign buttons to those keys using the target GUI. If you can assign a key to a function, then you can assign a button to that key. You could use sequence to cycle through the COMM, NAV and FMS dials. When you use "sequence", each press will perform the next item in the sequence. Using a "hold" on the paddle to "increase" or "decrease" the frequency should work fine. It rotates as long as you hold the button. Switching Mhz and Khz again is simply assigning key strokes to different button presses or as I did, one with a modifier and one without. Everything you want to do is easily possible simply using the Target GUI, I believe. I don't have the TWCS. Check both the Target Script Manual and the Target GUI manual. It is a learning curve but not really a hard one. Comm inner ring up "hold" comm inner ring down "hold" will spin the dial when the button is held.  G1000 heading up, G1000 heading down etc. is also used that way.  I put all My G1000 dials on my 4 hats on the stick with 3 layers. If my flap switch is up, I have one layer, 4 functions per hat. If My flap switch is in the middle, I have another layer, If it is down, I have another layer. I also have a flap on the stick which when held is another in and out layer which doubles all of those again.  Although you could cycle through the modes using "sequence" there is room to simply go directly to the the function,. I.E. G1000 Pilot ALT Inner RIng up on a "hold" on a hat somewhere. WIth 3 modifiers and an in and out, the same hat could be used for  6 different dials or actually 12 since you only need 2 axis there. Hats work well for dials.
The biggest problem people have is they assign key bindings in Target that are already in use by Skype, DIscord, SRS, TeamSpeak and most often Windows keyboard shortcuts. The Windows shortcuts are a huge factor. As we saw, the Windows assigned Alt-Tab showed exactly how that can happen. In this case, I wanted to use the actual windows alt-tab as the windows alt tab and so it was not an error. Be careful with alt- and shift combos. DO a search on Windows keyboard shortcuts. Shadowplay and TrackIR are some more with defaults that may conflict your key bind."
Thanks all and hope this sparks more interesting dialogue.

On 12/7/2018 at 3:53 AM, Brett Adams said:

I accomplished this same task by utilizing flywithlua for those that don't want to use TARGET.

Here's what I used: (snipped from my much larger lua script for the TBM)

local mixture_axis = 25  -- Axis ID
joystick_axis = dataref_table("sim/joystick/joystick_axis_values") -- Table of all Joystick AXIS values
local axis = joystick_axis[25]

function feather_control()
	if(joystick_axis[mixture_axis] ~= axis) then
		if (joystick_axis[mixture_axis] > axis and joystick_axis[mixture_axis] - axis > .25 or joystick_axis[mixture_axis] == 1) then
			command_once("sim/engines/mixture_down")
		elseif (joystick_axis[mixture_axis] < axis and axis - joystick_axis[25] > .25 or joystick_axis[mixture_axis] == 0) then
			command_once("sim/engines/mixture_up")
		end
	end
end

do_every_frame("feather_control()")

You can adjust the sensitivity for your taste by just changing the .25 in the function to something else.

Enjoy.

Brett

Bret,

I downloaded FyWithLua when I have the X-52Pro thinking I could use the x52 Stuff for all the fancy light changes, etc. What I found was another programming code I know nothing about. I was hoping TARGET would be a bit more straight forward that the it is turning out to be. I guess there is only so much that can be done with knowing some code speak and that just isn't me. I simply want to fly IFR and control my TBM the smartest way possible. You obviously know FWL. Can you tell me in step form what I need to do to install FWL? Where does it go, and what do I do with it. If scripts exist to control the TBM with my controller then where do they go and how do I ensure they are running when needed? All the author tells you is to read the manual. I tried and it way too deep to learn simply to control my aircraft.

I posted the exhaustive post on the TARGET software hoping someone would come to my aid. So far no response on X-plane and you guys here seem to have more activity with application so I though maybe here. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you all