Text Size of the menus and their text

quijote

I use both VR and a 4K monitor. I know that getting menus into VR is way down the road, but I have a problem with my monitor that I think can be saved with a little code.

The menus and text on a 4K monitor are SOOOOOO small that I literally have to use a looking glass to read the screen. X-Plane now allows us to scale the user interface and even set a text size so the Laminar stuff is easy to read. The TBM menus and text are almost impossible. With the looking glass I can see them, but you can imagine how clumsy it is to take off headphones, push the VR goggles up on my forehead, pick up the looking glass in one hand and the mouse in the other - to work with the menus. The Gizmo interface is even worse!

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: Could the code scale the menu boxes (and included text) based on the size of the user screen resolution? I don't know if there is a dataref for user screen resolution, but if there is then scaling should be a few lines of code...... Fingers crossed!

We will experiment a little with modern style window integration in the UI toolkit. Unfortunately, the beautiful and scalable modern X-Plane 11 UI is inaccessible to addon developers. So we either each have to write our own mutually-inconsistent implementations and keep redoing the same work over and over; or use the old-style widgets. Rest assured, I have tried pushing Laminar to give us an API, but they just refuse and have no plan to move forward in that department. In a distant future update we will probably have to just rewrite all the UI code using a custom scalable UI library. But for the 1.1 update that will be coming soon, we will probably simply perform dumb window scaling using some window management trickery.

Rest assured, this IS on our radar and we're keenly aware this is an issue for users of high-res screens and VR.

• Like 2