Synthetic Vision

chazzerz17

I was in Tenerife South (GCTS) and no synthetic vision neither runway nor island, only sea (see screenshot). I also checked Tenerife North and the same. Then, I realized that I don't have Global Scenery for the Canary Islands, I'm only using SpainUHD. So it is make me wonder if Synthetic Vision only feeds from Global Scenery and not from Custom Scenery in case it doesn't find any mesh in global.

Javier

TBM900_1.png

On 10/27/2018 at 6:25 PM, chazzerz17 said:

I was starting a flight at 33V in the mountains of Colorado and noticed that the 5900ft runway was not on the TBM synthetic vision.

The airport database currently filters out airports that do not have ICAO identifiers (such as "33V"). I will look into adding support for non-ICAO airports into the airport database constructor in the next updates.

1 hour ago, jvmartinmo said:

make me wonder if Synthetic Vision only feeds from Global Scenery

Not quite. The terrain loader does look through custom scenery, but it requires DSFs that contain a DEM block (Digital Elevation Map). The stock Laminar-provided mesh contains those, as do all of the HD Mesh packages by alpilotx. Unfortunately, Ortho4XP builds non-conformat DSFs which lack the DEM block and therefore the TAWS terrain loader in the TBM can't use them. The trivial solution is to install the underlying stock Laminar mesh. It won't replace your existing ortho scenery, it just allows the TAWS to read the terrain elevation data. In the future we will look at supporting non-DEM DSFs as well, although this is rather low priority (when I asked Laminar about whether non-DEM DSFs are good, their response was something to the effect that those DSFs will stop working once XP12 comes out, because it will require the DEM data as well).

Just now, trigger_xp said:

So for those of us using ortho, what does this process look like? What goes where?

That said, I am using ortho and have no issues with synth vision.

Thanks! 

If you have no issues, then you're all set. For those that don't have it working, all you need to do is install the X-Plane global scenery from the X-Plane installer (choose add/remove scenery and select the regions you want to fly, then install it and you're all set).

On 10/29/2018 at 8:54 AM, skiselkov said:

If you have no issues, then you're all set. For those that don't have it working, all you need to do is install the X-Plane global scenery from the X-Plane installer (choose add/remove scenery and select the regions you want to fly, then install it and you're all set).

Excellent, thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

@skiselkov I am also using Orthophotos and am not getting runway's. I have the steam edition of Xplane and have downloaded N.A. Global scenery (free expansion) 

KCJR, KLKU, KHEF were not working. 

By installing North American global scenery is that all that is required to "install stock laminar mesh"? 

Edited by russell458