[SOLVED] Can't disengage brakes

borrrden

2 minutes ago, borrrden said:

I've confirmed that X-Plane Joystick Settings.prf is the offending preferences file.  I restored everything besides that one from backup and the issue remains fixed.  I will keep analyzing to find out more because as a developer myself I also know the frustration of being on the other side of these kinds of things.

Good to try ; i'm one too so i know perfectly the situation from the team. A billion of error poping ; good job for all.

I think I found the offending entries as well.  The fresh settings file has the following

_joy_AXIS_use26 0
_joy_AXIS_use27 0
_joy_AXIS_use28 0
_joy_AXIS_use29 0
_joy_AXIS_use30 0

But my previous one somehow has this

_joy_AXIS_use26 3
_joy_AXIS_use27 1
_joy_AXIS_use28 2
_joy_AXIS_use29 7
_joy_AXIS_use30 6

I assume this means "use these axes for X thing" but I have no idea how this got into this state, or why it affects the TBM900.  I'm currently running through the other differences to see if any of the others trigger the issue.

Edited by borrrden
axes, not buttons

Last update:

The two offending lines here are

_joy_AXIS_use29 7
_joy_AXIS_use30 6

But the catch here is that it doesn't have to be these two axes.  If any of your axis bindings are set to 6 or 7 and you didn't purposefully set them that way then you will probably be unable to disengage the brakes.  So for a workaround, scan through the joystick settings pref file and look for any high number axis (there are hundreds of them) set to 6 or 7 and set them to 0.  Unless you have a very intense setup it is not likely that you have more than 4 or 5 axes with a single joystick I think.  As to why this could happen, the prevailing theory is that this happens when you connect a device and calibrate it, but then disconnect it again.  I don't remember ever using any other devices than my joystick though.

The joystick pref file edit didn’t solve my problem, even totally removing the file didn’t solve anything.  Still cannot get the plane to recognize my brake pedals.  Rudder axis is just fine.  

Sounds like rudder pedal use and joystick use as in this topic are two different issues. Thanks for the feedback. Have you tried deleting ALL of your prefs to troubleshoot?

I have not tried to delete all prefs.  I’ll give it a try when I get home later.  Also, are there any known plugin conflicts at the moment?  I forget the issue the last time but I had the remove my xjet plugin (AirfoilLabs) because it was interfering with another addon.   Just trying to cover all bases.  

I’ve mentioned it elsewhere but I’d like to add in here that after editing the pref file a second time I had success with my brakes.  The first time I was focused on just removing any instance of 6 or 7 and I was ignoring other, higher values.  Once I set everything above 4 back to 0 and deleted the XP control profile for the TBM everything was working as it should.  Important to note if you have a control profile in X-Plane for the TBM you must delete it.  After I edited the pref file the brakes would only work under the default user profile until I made a new custom profile for the TBM. 

Thanks Deimos.  And this isn't directed to you at all but I have 30 something aircraft that work just fine out of the box.  Why should I have to go in and start deleting/editing files just to get the brakes to work on one plane.  Setting up all my configurations again, creating custom profiles etc.

I understand there are some other bugs that need attention but this is the  most money I've ever spent on one plane and it should  work without jumping through hoops.

Sorry for the rant and all  respect to the devs and members of this forum for all the help.  I just want the plane to work as it should without changing or deleting files.

4 minutes ago, puffmtd said:

Why should I have to go in and start deleting/editing files just to get the brakes to work on one plane.  Setting up all my configurations again, creating custom profiles etc.

Right now we don't know where the bug lies: Laminar or us.

Deleting preference files and it all of a sudden working would suggest Laminar.

We're not magicians here. People are offering you help, and it seems relatively easy, so use it and be thankful! :)

On 10/21/2018 at 6:53 PM, Cameron said:

Hello Cameron, thank you for the link. Despite this suggestion I thought it best to start with a fresh clean install of XP 11.26 without Terramax. By doing this very late Sunday night, I resolved the issue for stuck breaks and finally got the 1.03V bird in the air.

This weekend I will try to reinstall Terramax and see if it still loops when I am at LFBT with the TBM 1.04 or later version. If it does I will upload a log.text to the Terramax support thread. I might be getting to old for this hobby since I quickly lose patience with new softwares but if there is a bird that deserves the most patience it is this one!

Cheers

@Cameron Something that came to my mind was that other aircraft may check for invalid configurations on axes?  The hi and lo on the axis were obviously bogus since they were never used.  The fact that those axes got mapped to anything at all seems like a bug, but then why would one aircraft work and not the other?  That is the odd part.  Perhaps they are realizing that the hi and lo values are not valid, and accordingly ignoring the axis (I am not familiar with how these are read, but are the hi / lo values also data refs?).

6 hours ago, Cameron said:

People are offering you help, and it seems relatively easy, so use it and be thankful! :)

I'm sorry Cameron but maybe you missed this part of my post:

" Sorry for the rant and all  respect to the devs and members of this forum for all the help"

I used the fix (and a hearty thank you to all that figured it out) but my point was that I shouldn't have to "fix" a new product.  I understand all  of you are busy and I sincerely appreciate all the work and updates. :)

19 minutes ago, puffmtd said:

I used the fix (and a hearty thank you to all that figured it out) but my point was that I shouldn't have to "fix" a new product.

And you don't know if this is really you "fixing" a new product, or a bug Laminar needs to take care of.

You're blaming before knowing everything.

Hi,

i changed my pedals lately. And coudn't use the breaks also! First i had some saitek rudder-pedals with breaks on each pedal. But i was switching to new helicopter-pedals without any break on them.

I guess X-Plane keeps the old settings for each controller (once plugged) stored into the preference files. This is something good because if you want to change some controllers (i do have an Saitek Cessna Yoke for Planes and an Komodosim Stick for Helicopters) you can just plug one out and the other in. X-Plane just remembers all buttons and axis per controller.

It may be true that your custom code tries to reads the X-Plane controller input but only looks at the axis x-plane did first bind to the brakes (even if this controller is unplugged)? In my conclusion X-Plane can assign many axis to breaks and does not delete this bindings if you unplug this controller. This may be the problem with the breaks. Some workaround for your custom code could be to watch all axis with breaks assigned and only uses the highest value...

After deleting all joystick preferences and all custom per plane preferences i did recalibrate inside X-Plane and set up all my buttons again and now the TBM behaves as it should!

Regards and a big thank for this great plane!!

Philip

• borrrden changed the title to [SOLVED] Can't disengage brakes