Power levers constantly walk forward

Selmer79

I got the 340 yesterday, and after pulling my hair out trying to map various controls on my Logitech Yoke (why do I have to map power levers to REVERSE 1+2?), every time I get both engines started, the power levers just move full forward constantly. I can jiggle my levers, the levers in the cockpit sync up, and then start moving again. It only stops when I shut both engines down.

Any thoughts on what's wrong and what I can do to fix it? It's unflyable at this point. And I have tried to reload the aircraft, reinstall, restart X-Plane, but nothing helps. :/

Hello Selmer79,

map yor joystick with the default commands of XP11. Don´t use the specific airplane to assign the axes and buttons, do it very simple with the standar assignemts through XP11.

I have the TQ6 Throttle panel + Flight Master Yoke III and a Saitek throtle panel and all works fine and with all airplanes, from propellers to jets.

Good luck.

Ah, excellent! I don't really know what I did differently, but I set the throttles up using "THROTTLE 1+2", and they now work as intended! :D Took the bird up for a spin, and I love it! Need to figure out the autopilot in both VOR-mode and GPS-mode now. :)

Edited by Selmer79

14 minutes ago, Selmer79 said:

Ah, excellent! I don't really know what I did differently, but I set the throttles up using "THROTTLE 1+2", and they now work as intended! :D Took the bird up for a spin, and I love it! Need to figure out the autopilot in both VOR-mode and GPS-mode now. :)

Great to know it had worked. Enjoy this bird because the immersion is enormous. You have to work more than the autopilot and is a real pleasure to fly.

...aaaand the problem is back again...

I've done some testing, and it seems to be tied to the AC power and avionics.

• I turn on batteries: OK
  • I enable external power: OK
  • I enable any one (or multiple) avionics system: Walking throttles...
  • I disable avionics: OK again
  • I turn off external power: OK
  • I turn on avionics: OK
  • I enable external power: Walking throttles...
  • I disable external power: OK again
  • I start the Left engine (with GPU removed): OK
  • I reset the left generator: Walking throttles...

So as soon as I have avionics on and AC power, something happens to make things mess up again.

I reinstalled the 340A and still no good, even though it worked fine for a few days. I've had so much fun with this bird, so I'm really frustrated that I have to find a fix for this again, especially since I don't really know what triggered whatever to make it start working again last time. :/

19 hours ago, Selmer79 said:

...aaaand the problem is back again...

I've done some testing, and it seems to be tied to the AC power and avionics.

• I turn on batteries: OK
  • I enable external power: OK
  • I enable any one (or multiple) avionics system: Walking throttles...
  • I disable avionics: OK again
  • I turn off external power: OK
  • I turn on avionics: OK
  • I enable external power: Walking throttles...
  • I disable external power: OK again
  • I start the Left engine (with GPU removed): OK
  • I reset the left generator: Walking throttles...

So as soon as I have avionics on and AC power, something happens to make things mess up again.

I reinstalled the 340A and still no good, even though it worked fine for a few days. I've had so much fun with this bird, so I'm really frustrated that I have to find a fix for this again, especially since I don't really know what triggered whatever to make it start working again last time. :/

I am sorry but I don´t have any idea why the levers move alone. There is no autothrottle that could do something wrong also not activated. Really strange. Are you sure you don´t have any other hardware that could be mapped to the throttle? This ware my only thought, but if not, I don´t have any further suggestion. Disconnect all your HW and look what happens.

I think I have found it.. I've finally managed to reproduce it consistenly (but haven't been able to have it tested by anyone else yet).

It seems to happen if you enable the avionics too soon after enabling external power. (Basically I've been an impatient idiot...)

Try the following:

1. Turn batteries L+R to ON
  2. Turn on Avionics L
  3. Connect the GPU
  4. Enable External Power

This is just to make sure that the avionics are enabled before the aircraft finishes switching power to the external supply. The throttle should be "walking" forward continually.

If you do

2. Connect the GPU
  3. Enable External Power
  4. Wait until all the annunciator lamps above the battery switches to finish switching to the external power supply
  5. Turn on Avionics L

Then everything works as expected, no movement of the throttle.

Edited by Selmer79

2 hours ago, Selmer79 said:

I think I have found it.. I've finally managed to reproduce it consistenly (but haven't been able to have it tested by anyone else yet).

It seems to happen if you enable the avionics too soon after enabling external power. (Basically I've been an impatient idiot...)

Try the following:

2. Turn on Avionics L
  3. Connect the GPU
  4. Enable External Power

This is just to make sure that the avionics are enabled before the aircraft finishes switching power to the external supply. The throttle should be "walking" forward continually.

If you do

2. Connect the GPU
  3. Enable External Power
  4. Wait until all the annunciator lamps above the battery switches to finish switching to the external power supply
  5. Turn on Avionics L

Ummmm, this is really confusing. You stated that the problem occurs when enabling the avionics too soon AFTER enabling external power, but your first list has "turn avionics on" BEFORE enabling external power !?!?!?!?!?  

Your second list has the avionics being turned on AFTER enabling external power, but that is the list that you claim is working fine!!!!

In any event, I tried this both ways and my power levers NEVER moved at all.  

This problem sounds like an issue with your hardware or an associated plugin.

2 hours ago, Selmer79 said:

Try the following:

2. Turn on Avionics L
  3. Connect the GPU
  4. Enable External Power

If you do

2. Connect the GPU
  3. Enable External Power
  5. Turn on Avionics L

Tested on my machine as well.  All levers stay where they are.  

• 2 weeks later...

It's confirmed to be related to a plug-in. I did a clean second install, copied over the Aircraft\X-Aviation\Saab 340A and the Gizmo64 folders and have been unable to reproduce the problem. Today I copied all my other plugins over, and it misbehaved again.

Then I started deleting the least critical plugins from the plugins folder of the second install. I started with the XSaitekProFlight plugin (the plugin for the Logitech ProFlight panels), and the problem appears to be gone! I've tested multiple times now (both on the clean second install and on my regular install), rebooted the PC to make sure there are no remnants in RAM that could affect this, and so far so good! I've attached a 7-zip archive of the plugin for you so you can test this as well. Also, I've attached a screenshot of the remaining plugins and my aircraft so you can compare if needed.

For me it's just a matter of turning on batteries, connecting and enabling GPU and then the avionics, and the throttles start "walking".
Here's a video of it failing:

If I can do anything to help test this further, let me know.

XSaitekProFlight.7z

2018-09-17 22_50_38-plugins.png

2018-09-17 22_52_47-Aircraft.png

Edited by Selmer79
Forgot to obfuscate some personally identifiable stuff

You're welcome @Goran_M, and I know it's not your problem now. ;) I added the zip so you could test and maybe confirm th error.

I'm a total Saab 340 evangelist now, I just love it so much.

Thanks @mjrhealth, I'll give that plugin a shot. I've had rather disappointing esperiences with the panels in various planes, using the Logitech plugin, where the numbers on the radio and A/P panels don't always light up etc. Maybe this plugin will do a better (more consistent) job. :)

OK, followup on the Xsaitekpanels plugin suggested by @mjrhealth, what an unmitigated disaster... ;)

Turning on the GNS530 works fine until you hit the OK on the "boot-screen", and the screen goes black instead of showing the map. And the autopilot stops working completely. Like, it enables fine, but it doesn't do any vertical or horizontal piloting...

Looks like I might as well sell my panels and yoke as I have pretty much zero use for them in XP11. :(

Edited by Selmer79

I think I have posted this everywhere at some time, but it works and seems to be essential with windows 10.

Go to this site "uraster.com/de-ch/produkte/usbenhancedpowermanagerdisabler.aspx" and download the usbenhancedpowermanagerdisabler. Install and run as administrator.

I also check in control panel/system/device manager/human interface devices that under power management  the "allow the computer to turnoff this device to save power" IS NOT selected. Do this for all items.

You definitely need to download and install the latest madcatz 64bit drivers at "http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php". If you are using the usb ports on the yoke you will also need a power supply for the yoke.

The switch panel and the Radio panel do not like being on a fully populated 10 port powered usb hub. I am running them on another hub with only 3 ports used and it gives no problems.

Last step is to go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings\change advanced power settings\USB Settings\USB Selective suspend setting and make sure it is disabled.

You should also install https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/14646-xsaitekpanels-linwinmac3264/ but make sure that you do the installation as per the instructions

If the problem is with the Mac OS then I have no idea of what to do.

Also with xsaitek drivers it requires the Coms breaker or airctraft radios to be turned on before  they will come on, makes it more realsitic, but also means you need to bump a switch or twiddle a knob on your panels to get it to come on. , also nee to make sure you removed the other plugin or they will fight. I too run my panels on 4 port 3 A usb hub the LEDS consume some power and USB ports are limited in current.