Take Command! Saab 340A v1.5.1 Update Released!

Cameron

Hello All,

This will serve as a formal forum announcement that we have released the version 1.5.1 update for the Take Command! Saab 340A. All customers who have purchased the Saab 340A up till now have been sent an e-mail by X-Aviation with complete instructions on how to obtain your update. We have made this a very simple process! For those that purchase the Saab 340A from today forward, your purchased download will already be updated to version 1.5.1 for you.

This ends support of X-Plane 10 and means this update is ONLY FOR X-PLANE 11!

What if I didn't get the update e-mail?

If you did not receive your update e-mail don't fret! X-Aviation has updated our system to allow all customers to update with ease, regardless of whether you received an e-mail for the update! Here's what to do:

1. Login to your X-Aviation account here: https://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/account_history.php

2. Find your original Saab 340A download and re-download the file. It will download as the latest version!

The following is a list of additions/fixes included:

What's New / Changed:

• X-Plane 10 no longer supported
  • Steering tiller adjustments
  • Stair animation fix
  • Nosewheel deflection adjusted
  • Control surface logic adjusted to prevent surfaces from randomly moving around
  • Angle of yoke roll animation adjusted
  • Changed rudder pedal logic and added toe brakes
  • PBR glass has been adjusted
  • Altitude select is now in increments of 100ft
  • Changed door and parking break logic
  • Adjusted oil pressure warning logic
  • Adjusted avionics switch logic
  • Fixed AIRAC info for Garmin 530
  • Fixed issue with warped textures on radios when texture compression turned off
  • Added ability to assign both condition levers to one axis ("Prop").

As always, thanks for being a customer with X-Aviation. We appreciate your feedback and support!

Enjoy these latest updates, and stay tuned to the forum as we continually announce the latest happenings.

Edited by JGregory
missing new feature
  • Like 9

"Altitude select is now in increments of 100ft"??? Why would you do this? Who flys this bird VFR? You can't even now click and hold the wheel to go through the altitudes. You have to spin the mouse wheel. It would take a lot longer now if starting at 1000 feet to set 17,000 feet.

- maybe in the next update a click and hold to allow changing by thousands?

I would of liked to see the ability to allow my throttle Quadrant to handle the flaps   right now you can only change flap position with a mouse click on the inside 3d flap lever.

I see no mention of correctong the logic on seatbelt lights and landing lights as they are coded in such a way that doesn't mesh with igodispatch . I had made comment about these areas.

The above are trivial.  just my two cents.

Thanks for still making these improvements. 

I love this plane.

Dave

57 minutes ago, Chase911 said:

"Altitude select is now in increments of 100ft"??? Why would you do this? Who flys this bird VFR? You can't even now click and hold the wheel to go through the altitudes. You have to spin the mouse wheel. It would take a lot longer now if starting at 1000 feet to set 17,000 feet.

This has nothing to do with VFR. There are more than enough altitude restrictions for departures/approaches which command leveling off at some "odd" altitudes like e.g. 5600ft. Or say you are flying in russia, there you would even need to select altitudes in 10 feet increments in order to exactly follow the charts.

I don't use the mouse wheel option but highly prefer click & drag, which is also faster in most cases.

Edited by mgeiss

Another option would be just to make the hundreds and thousands numbers clickable. One left click to increase by 1000ft, one right click to decrease etc.

Thanks to all for this patch, very excited to learn this aircraft. One of the very best small turboprops that I have had the pleasure to own. I think the only thing that I miss is a clicky noise when touching the flap lever. I have that assigned to my throttle but it's impossible to know, without looking, if it has been set correctly during busy phases of flight such as climb out and approach.

Edited by toby23

29 minutes ago, mgeiss said:

This has nothing to do with VFR. There are more than enough altitude restrictions for departures/approaches which command leveling off at some "odd" altitudes like e.g. 5600ft. Or say you are flying in russia, there you would even need to select altitudes in 10 feet increments in order to exactly follow the charts.

I don't use the mouse wheel option but highly prefer click & drag, which is also faster in most cases.

Flying in the US is all i do. West coast primary. So for you and others who fly overseas i can see how this is a huge benefit. i fly every day and can not think of many flight restrictions on SID & STARS that are outside of 1000 increments.  There are some in the US but i can't think of many. Maybe on a SID you'll see once above 560 feet then make your turn to the first WP on the chart. Or a restriction of between 4300 feet and 6000 feet at that way point. But even with that I'm setting the top altitude. I have rarely been given an instruction by ATC to climb or descend to an altitude other than a 1000 increment.  Sometimes i am for an altitude to capture the GS. So i mentioned VFR cause of the plus 500 foot rule. So yes it's nice to have 100 increments.  just not used that much is all I'm saying.

I will have to try that click and drag method with the mouse. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

Click and drag still works on the altitude set knob if you disable 'scroll wheel manipulator' in the preferences.

altimeter-setting.jpg.1f2970973e8b3310e11441012ca5bad0.jpg

Edit: BTW thanks for implementing the ability to map ONE lever (axis) to control both condition levers (just map it to 'prop' rather than the prop 1 & prop 2 we've had up to now). That also frees up one of my 3 levers for another function like flaps or landing gear perhaps .....

Edited by jumpjet
added info
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chase911 said:

"Altitude select is now in increments of 100ft"??? Why would you do this?

The real instrument actually allows for setting in 100's or 1000's !!  This will be incorporated in v2.0

I would of liked to see the ability to allow my throttle Quadrant to handle the flaps   right now you can only change flap position with a mouse click on the inside 3d flap lever.

Not true.  You can control the flaps via the standard X-Plane keystrokes. Note that power is required to actuate the flaps.  

I see no mention of correctong the logic on seatbelt lights and landing lights as they are coded in such a way that doesn't mesh with igodispatch . I had made comment about these areas.

I tested this when you reported it and could not re-create the issue. The switch behaved as expected and the DataRef value did not change randomly at any time.

Edited by JGregory

@JGregory

Ok.  As for the flaps trying to assign an axis for Flaps does not work. Every other plane i have i have the flaps assigned to a slider on my throttle Quadrant.  i use the mix lever for flaps control. I have not tried keyboard keys. That may work.  So my suggestion was to allow for axis control like every other model i have.

But for the time being I'll try to assign a key for each notch of flaps.

I did not know you tested the lights as there was no follow up comments on the thread. I left my log file hoping that would help explain the problem. If you found no problem then that's that. 

Altitude dial.. I don't fly the real plane.  so i was judging my suggestions off the type of flying i do with the sim version. Others have given me suggestions on how to handle the change.  it's only a preference of mine. 

Thanks

Has the ability to control cabin lighting been removed? I was unable to use the panel next to the main door to adjust cabin lighting after updating to 1.5.1. Do I need to delete a preference file in order to restore this function?

For a possible future update... I find that the annunciator lights on the main panel that indicate the status of Anti-Ice and Auto-Coarsen to be a bit dim. I am referring to the double column of lights to the left of the warning panel.  During daytime operation, I can barely tell if the status lights are illuminated. Annunciators on the overhead are fine.

3 hours ago, MMcCl said:

Has the ability to control cabin lighting been removed?

No.

3 hours ago, MMcCl said:

I was unable to use the panel next to the main door to adjust cabin lighting after updating to 1.5.1.

Please verify that file "Custom_LightsCabin.obj" is in the objects folder.

3 hours ago, MMcCl said:

Do I need to delete a preference file in order to restore this function?

That should not be required, no.

Just a reminder: The cabin lights will not work without power.

3 hours ago, MMcCl said:

For a possible future update... I find that the annunciator lights on the main panel that indicate the status of Anti-Ice and Auto-Coarsen to be a bit dim. I am referring to the double column of lights to the left of the warning panel.  During daytime operation, I can barely tell if the status lights are illuminated. Annunciators on the overhead are fine.

This will be something we will look at for v2.0.  

Edited by JGregory

11 hours ago, Chase911 said:

Ah i see. Thanks

Actually I find the altitude setting knob a little bit awkward now. When you disable the 'scroll wheel manipulator' in the preferences, you are stuck to using 1000's of feet ONLY. My approach plate into Kabul earlier had intermediate altitudes that I couldn't set.

I quickly changed it back to allow the scroll wheel, so I could get 100's of feet. As you said earlier in the thread, the scroll wheel is a bit of a pain for large changes in altitude, not horrendous just not ideal. When you try and scroll fast, you often move your mouse a little bit and end up zooming the camera by accident.

Personally I would like to see a mouse click (hold) auto-repeat function added to the current manipulator. By that I mean that when you see the curved (scrolling) +/- tooltip (that you can click once to change it +/- 100 ft), if you HOLD the click it auto-repeats and the altitude setting changes rapidly (like click and drag)

Loving the aircraft though @ the devs

Cheers

Edited by jumpjet

Looking forward to checking out this update...the 340A, Mu-2, and JetStream are some of my favorite airplanes to fly in X-Plane..particularly in VR.

As for the 100' increments..can't comment on it with regards to the simulation of it since I'm just now downloading the update..but our B200s and Citations have 100' increments and they are handy for non-precision approaches where you are shooting to LNAV mins and leveling at the rounded up altitude (580 mins we'd put 600'). If you are really desperate you can then TCS the plane down to the actual mins.

Thanks for the update!

Edited by BeachAV8R

19 minutes ago, OT2 said:

My manuals folder includes manuals titled X-Plane 10 although the download page says X-Plene 11 only.  Any differences?

John

John, 

There are some differences between the current version of the Saab (1.5.1) and the manuals, but nothing that is critical to overall operations. 

• Like 1

Hi,

I fly Saab 340 A and B in real life.

I updated this and had a go the other night and a few things I noticed incorrect in the sim:

1) the autopilot should roll the aircraft to 27degrees AoB. The sim only rolls to about 16degs.

Note: Our aircraft do have a half bank mode (13.5degs) that can be selected (on MSP between the HDG and NAV buttons). We use it in the climb if below 160knots as stall protection and to preserve Rate of Climb. However this is not modeled in the sim aircraft - fair enough as it is an optional extra..

2) Turning onto headings, the autopilot is slightly overshooting. It doesn't do this in RL.

3) We use VS mode in the descent (IAS mode in the climb). When in VS mode in RL the VSI will be "pegged" to whatever value you have selected. The autopilot is very strong. In the sim it was varying by several 100fpm in an oscillation, this possibly is only happening once weather is encountered at high speed. However, still not accurate and unusable at present.

Best Regards

BP76

1 hour ago, bluepilot76 said:

Hi,

I fly Saab 340 A and B in real life.

I updated this and had a go the other night and a few things I noticed incorrect in the sim:

1) the autopilot should roll the aircraft to 27degrees AoB. The sim only rolls to about 16degs.

Note: Our aircraft do have a half bank mode (13.5degs) that can be selected (on MSP between the HDG and NAV buttons). We use it in the climb if below 160knots as stall protection and to preserve Rate of Climb. However this is not modeled in the sim aircraft - fair enough as it is an optional extra..

2) Turning onto headings, the autopilot is slightly overshooting. It doesn't do this in RL.

3) We use VS mode in the descent (IAS mode in the climb). When in VS mode in RL the VSI will be "pegged" to whatever value you have selected. The autopilot is very strong. In the sim it was varying by several 100fpm in an oscillation, this possibly is only happening once weather is encountered at high speed. However, still not accurate and unusable at present.

Best Regards

BP76

Thanks for the input.  We will take all of your suggestions into consideration for v2.0. 

• Cameron locked and unpinned this topic