jonfrederickl

On 12/28/2017 at 3:22 PM, Litjan said:

it´s Friday...again :lol:

Some might find it entertaining, this joking about what week/year the next patch will be released. 

I personally am quite ticked off. Paid $75 for the -300, (25/04/16) got 2 friends to buy it as well. Most I ever paid for an add-on. 

And while the plane itself looks quite good and I feel right at home in it. (I fly it)  The FMC is nowhere to being really useable. Adding fixes, restrictions, holdings.. Nothing works. 

So please get back to making this a $75 worth of add-on.

Edited by Koriel
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

58 minutes ago, Koriel said:

Some might find it entertaining, this joking about what week/year the next patch will be released. 

I personally am quite ticked off. Paid $75 for the -300, (25/04/16) got 2 friends to buy it as well. Most I ever paid for an add-on. 

And while the plane itself looks quite good and I feel right at home in it. (I fly it)  The FMC is nowhere to being really useable. Adding fixes, restrictions, holdings.. Nothing works. 

So please get back to making this a $75 worth of add-on.

Completely out of order, and here is why...

Cost is completely irrelevant to the argument.  Value for money is different for everybody, comparing it to other products doesn't mean anything, it's up to you (and your two friends) to decide if it's worth it. If you felt it did not warrant the price, then you shouldn't have bought it, which leads to the point below.

Expectations, IXEG were completely open about the limitations of the aircraft before release, including the FMC, there is still a detailed list at the top of the stickys.  

As far getting back to making the patches, the speed of the patches is completely up to IXEG, they are a bunch of devs doing this in their free time when they are not doing their real jobs or spending time with their family etc, they also need some downtime during the "festive" period I'm sure.

On the contrary, I find IXEG very open about patches and development, they put a lot of time into solving peoples issues, even during the holidays, something they should be very proud of when you compare to any other developer.

And lastly, LR keep moving the goal posts with new revisions, 11.11 is current and I am sure they are always playing catchup.  

Edited by Iain
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Koriel said:

Nothing works. 

The FMC is nowhere to being really useable

We can understand you being impatient, but comments like this are just not constructive and will not help motivate the coders.  We have several in type pilots flying the aircraft more or less just as they would in real. As mentioned by Iain, some of you also seem to forget XP11 was released shortly after the IXEG release which took a lot of resources and now again with XP 11.1 with it's new atmosphere etc. A lot of extra surprises we have to deal with. That being said, we are not happy with the general update progress either and we are working on solutions to speed things up.

M

Edited by Morten
  • Upvote 9

I guess some of us are a little worried that your marvel of a sim aircraft is not being further developed due to loss of interest, moving on to different projects, lack of customers/a lot of people fly the zibo mod these days, etc. I personally hope you guys keep on working on this plane a little more because those who have some real world flying experience highly appreciate the excellent flight model and the many other accurately simulated systems of this aircraft, plus all the small details like the eyebrow windows, amazing looking cockpit, cargo doors, GPU, etc. All those things are unmatched of any other B737 currently available for x plane. It's the only Boeing I really enjoy flying in x plane.

It is of course none of my business on how you should run your business, but I still would like to leave my thoughts here. If you'd lower the price some and put out updates a little more frequently, you would make even more money, especially in times where the zibo mod gains more and more attention. I tried the zibo mod and wasn't thrilled at all by it. The flight model of it is just horrible. Many people seem not to care or don't know any better. I guess they just like that it's a -800 with less scary and complicated looking analog instruments and more iPad like LCD screens lol. It's still incredible what this guy does though. 

Edited by Shanwick
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for everyone´s input - your concerns are duly noted and also shared by me. It pains me every day that I testfly our 737 that it is not complete yet, and I have to be patient and wait for the other team members to have time available as well.

I KNOW that our plane is worth 75$ - even in its present state with some aspects unfinished. I find the statement "FMC is nowhere to being really useable" a bit of an exaggeration. I flew the 737 classic around Europe for 10 years and I could have done it easily with the state the FMC is in now. The thing I miss the most is the progress page, its just too convenient to know when you will arrive and how much fuel will be left...holds, pbd, offsets, abeam positions, VNAV descent restrictions - don´t get me wrong, but missing these is not making the FMC "unuseable".

I know that many customers can not understand the care and detail we put into simulating the systems (electric, hydraulic, pneumatic, pressurization, ice+rain, flight controls, landing gear,...), the flight-model, sounds, textures, autopilot modes, etc - simply because they don´t care to explore that aspect of the aircraft and/or don´t know the real aircraft to make an educated comparison.

Just as Morten said - we are painfully aware of the fact that work remains to be done and are working on improving our product right these days.

Cheers and happy landings, Jan

• Upvote 10

I guess some of us are a little worried that your marvel of a sim aircraft is not being further developed due to loss of interest, moving on to different projects, lack of customers/a lot of people fly the zibo mod these days, etc.

None of what you have just said is factual. There has been as consistent of sales volume daily now as there was pre-zibo. X-Plane sales do not work in a manner like you're suggesting. No one on the team has moved to any other projects (people have asked if IXEG will develop something else, the answer has always been "not till the Classic is finished"). This is a highly speculative statement from you with zero substance.

If you'd lower the price some and put out updates a little more frequently, you would make even more money, especially in times where the zibo mod gains more and more attention.

This would lose money and it shows your lack of understanding for this market. You've got it very wrong, but we appreciate your thoughts.

7 minutes ago, Cameron said:

None of which you have just said is factual. There has been as consistent of sales volume daily now as there was pre-zibo. X-Plane sales do not work in a manner like you're suggesting. No one on the team has moved to any other projects (people have asked if IXEG will develop something else, the answer has always been "not till the Classic is finished"). This is a highly speculative statement from you with zero substance.

This would lose money. You've got it very wrong.

That is good to know that I was wrong. I was unreasonably worried then.

• Upvote 2

First off let me say Jan you are a true gem in the flight sim community for the way you handle support questions!!

In my opinion no other civilian plane in any flight sim is more enjoyable or creates a better suspension of disbelief than the IXEG 737. And I have flown quite a few planes and sims over the many years I have been a simmer. I have never found myself thinking this plane was lacking in anyway only that I needed to learn to overcome a challenge.

The IXEG model is the only plane I have flown over the last year. I prefer to only fly one plane and learn it inside and out as much as possible (so I for one do love the systems Jan speaks of). I study each aspect of the aircraft, navigation, systems, etc. until I feel very comfortable with it. I do however learn something new every time I spend time studying.

As for the missing parts - it is my belief that those "missing" parts have made me a better pilot. For example Holds. I hand fly them now instead of just pushing a few buttons. I created a small reference sheet I can quickly make notes on. See below.
Also I study my altitude restrictions more and just add them myself. I hand fly offsets. Etc.

I can understand people who fly multiple planes not wanting to actually learn their BFM, systems and real world aviation but for me that is where the fun actually is. And when those extras get added I will be even better prepared and appreciate the workload relief…..or will I?

$75 I consider value for money! The many hours of pleasure it has brought me this year equals only a few cents an hour.

Also want to thank Cameron for allowing people to voice their opinions and not turning this into a forum that people are only allowed to just spam pages of thank after thank you or they get banned.

Well that's just one man's thoughts and big thumbs up to all of you guys that help the fight sim world progress.

HOLD CARD:

HOLD.jpg

Edited by Need-To-Know
  • Upvote 12

if I try to evaluate ROI as (time spent) / (money spent)  there is nothing that comes even close to this beautiful aircraft, and I include other sims with their most respected add-ons

if I consider what I learnt due to those "major" issues on VNAV, I am tempted to ask deteriorating a few more systems in future updates :lol:

Happy New Year everyone

Edited by donoscar
  • Upvote 3

I think in the flight simulation community expectations are sometimes really high. The IXEG 737's most beautiful thing may not be something noticeable to someone who doesn't fly or hasn't flown a big commercial jet in real life, and that is it's dynamic behavior. It's a lovely plane to hand fly, I really enjoy disconnecting everything and just hand flying an ILS or a visual approach. Of course the FMC has some limitations (I will list HOLD and PROG pages as the two things I'll put on my 'need to have list', the rest falls under 'nice to have') but that's nothing compared to the handling the aircraft has. And in regards to VNAV... even in real life, in the newest Boeing designed, the VNAV many times gets it wrong and starts acting up. 

Making a fully functioning and well simulated aircraft takes either a lot of resources (money) or a lot of time. However this is the aircraft I like the most of all the ones available for X-Plane. Keep up the good work.

• Upvote 2

As soon as they release the next update I’ll have a look and see what’s new with this aircraft. Like I stated before on the whole VNAV situation I still don’t get it. It sounds like they need some cash and time and I understand. I could totally see the developers not having simulated failures and other things but VNAV is usually part of the package at release. Not going to beat a dead horse over this issue. I really thought this update would’ve been released by now.

looking forward to what has been added

Kind regards 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Flying12 said:

Like I stated before on the whole VNAV situation I still don’t get it. It sounds like they need some cash and time and I understand. I could totally see the developers not having simulated failures and other things but VNAV is usually part of the package at release.

Well VNAV is part of the package even though it may get confused at times, which apparently is time consuming to fix (i.e. rewrite)

It works well enough for me and I definitely wouldn't want to give up the failure system, immersive sounds, EWGPS/TCAS or the refined flight model for a more feature complete FMC - YMMV of course.

Do I wish the update(s) wouldn't take so long? Sure, but as far as I understand it the IXEG team all have "proper" jobs and cannot commit full time to the development. I still feel I got my money's worth out of it, after all it is the aircraft I fly most in XP.

I know it's probably crazy and will never happen, but... what if IXEG made a small portion of their code open-source? Just a portion that makes it possible for volunteers to enhance/modify select systems while keeping the rest closed/encrypted and under the control of their DRM? I'm sure it wouldn't take long before the missing functionality is completed in a form of a "mod" if only people are given the tools.

5 minutes ago, stolowski said:

I know it's probably crazy and will never happen, but... what if IXEG made a small portion of their code open-source? Just a portion that makes it possible for volunteers to enhance/modify select systems while keeping the rest closed/encrypted and under the control of their DRM? I'm sure it wouldn't take long before the missing functionality is completed in a form of a "mod" if only people are given the tools.

Absolutely not.

...would require a full audit each time to determine if some smart alec has tried to circumvent the DRM systems too.

At this time Gizmo has one Lua VM that runs all the code inside it.

Part of the roadmap for this year is to alllow for concurrent isolated VM's which will allow things like user macro scripts, better debug tools, better security, better performance options for background tasks like the EXEC button, etc.

Still wouldn't want to deal with a partial open source commercial product though, still a nasty thought for many reasons.

• Upvote 1

Happy New Year to you too gmargodt!  Very happy to hear that the aircraft brightens your day a bit!  Over the years I've found that this hobby is a great way to escape from what reality throws at you sometimes, and I've seen it has helped other designer friends get through difficult personal times in the past. Hang in there, and and best wishes that 2018 will be a better year for you with more blue sky!

M

• Upvote 7

On 1/6/2018 at 4:14 PM, Morten said:

Happy New Year to you too gmargodt!  Very happy to hear that the aircraft brightens your day a bit!  Over the years I've found that this hobby is a great way to escape from what reality throws at you sometimes, and I've seen it has helped other designer friends get through difficult personal times in the past. Hang in there, and and best wishes that 2018 will be a better year for you with more blue sky!

M

Thank you Morten :)