ILS not working

Worked fine for me just now (KSFO 28R, navigraph data) - what airport/ILS did you have problems with? Can you reproduce it? Screen shots?

The general procedure is to catch the VOR first and then intercept the glide slope from below, so you don't miss it.

Edited by mfor

50 minutes ago, bobididou said:

the airport is CYQB but i have the same problem with the others. when i engage the VOR its light in white but always stay in white nevre go up (like engaged)

and then the GS when i engage the approach is stay white too  never been active neither VOR or GS:(((

No idea what you are doing wrong, except that you are doing something wrong :-)

I recommend watching the enclosed tutorial videos and do like I do in them and you will learn how to fly an ILS.

Happy landings, Jan

There are no ILS needles in the EADI showing, meaning that you don't receive the ILS signal.

Since you seem to have tuned the radio correctly, I assume that the signal is not being sent (unless you have some sort of X-plane failure activated).

This happens if you activate the "disable downwind ILSes" option in the map and are trying to lock onto the ILS of a downwind runway, as is the case in your picture. So open the map (m) and see if that option is checked. If it is, un-checking should provide you with an ILS signal.

Edit: It should look like this: Note the magenta needles on the EADI and the F/O's VOR/ILS display.

B733_86.jpg

Edited by mfor

I think the approach in CYQB does not have DME.

Things I would try now:

• set up a headwind and see if it is working now
  • try a different plane to see if it's a ixeg737 only problem.

If it still isn't working and you've double checked x-plane's failure settings, I'd start considering a botched (nav data) install. Are you using custom nav data?

Maybe there's a clue in the .log file. Otherwise try repairing the installation.

If the problem persists with the default planes as well, you should check with Laminar Research and maybe file a bug report.

Edited by mfor

The same thing happened to me yesterday landing at Dresden ( EDDC ) ILS 22. I was tuned to the frequency that it is on the chart ( 109.75 ( 218 )) and I double check if it's the same on the approach page, but the ILS needle was not showing. I have "disable downwind ILS" disabled under general options. Same with global failures. I made a small clip to show you my approach configuration. I also armed the "APP" in case it would start working, but to no avail. Luckily in my case the visibility was good to make a visual landing.

The DME is showing in the video, so it only seems to affect the ILS.

Again I'd suggest you try a default LR aircraft to see if this is general problem or just with the ixeg 737, check the log and try a repair/reinstall.

Also, do you have any other plugins installed? Maybe try disabling them to see if they are messing with the ILS reception.

With more people experiencing it, this could be a bug with the 737 of course, but this should narrow it down, so Morten, Litjan & Co know it's a problem on their end.

Edited by mfor

5 hours ago, Denco said:

The same thing happened to me yesterday landing at Dresden ( EDDC ) ILS 22. I was tuned to the frequency that it is on the chart ( 109.75 ( 218 )) and I double check if it's the same on the approach page, but the ILS needle was not showing. I have "disable downwind ILS" disabled under general options. Same with global failures. I made a small clip to show you my approach configuration. I also armed the "APP" in case it would start working, but to no avail. Luckily in my case the visibility was good to make a visual landing.

Here is somethting to try:

Tune the correct frequency of 109.70 Mhz for the ILS 22 EDDC (IDRW). I don´t think it ever was 109.75...

Let me know how that goes!?

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 1

The frequency that X-Plane uses is 109.70 in X-Plane and that works fine.

The frequency MAY be 109.75 in the real world (it is according to my charts) - but X-Plane uses 109.70.

If you see 109.75 on the map, file a bug with Laminar Research, because there may be the old "curated nav data" dilemma at work here.

X-Plane will NOT use any updated data source like Navigraph or Aerosoft for the ILS approach information. The only way to change those is to file a bug report on the Scenery Gateway site, so Robin Peel can change the data manually. The reason is that they don´t want ILS approaches that don´t line up perfectly (because maybe the airport isn´t in the right spot).

Further reading: https://developer.x-plane.com/?article=navdata-in-x-plane-11

Jan

Edited by Litjan
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Litjan said:

X-Plane will NOT use any updated data source like Navigraph or Aerosoft for the ILS approach information. 

Interesting. I didn't know that, Jan. Thank you 

You can see what Jan says in this snapshot: Airac cycle 1713 but ILS still 109.70

Note: Obviously the cycle is updated in both xplane and IXEG.

B733_1.png

Edited by JaimeC

I found something funny, my apologies if I'm doing almost an offtopic.

Here tuning the correct frequency for Xplane (old) 109.70
The ILS is tuned (see deflection) and identified as IDRW

Cessna_172SP_3.png

Here tuning  any other 110.70
Naturally, it's not identified or tuned in. 

Cessna_172SP_2.png

Here tuning the new frequency according to Cycle 1713: 109.75
Not tuned but identified as IDRW !!!

Cessna_172SP_1.png

In any case, it is clear what Jan said, even if we update the cycle, the valid frequency is the one indicated by Xplane.

Edited by JaimeC

Interesting, I presume this is because x-plane ignores the ILS data and only the ILS data, so you'd get DME and other stuff from the updated source and LOC/GS from the file mentioned in the blog post  ($X-Plane/Custom Scenery/Global Airports/Earth nav data/eartch_nav.dat)

It appears you can edit it fairly easily though, e.g. EDDC appeared 6 times:

4  51.14605278  013.78412222    703 11050  18      40.830 IDRE EDDC   ED 04  ILS-cat-II
4  51.12263333  013.75188333    755 10975  18     220.806 IDRW EDDC   ED 22  ILS-cat-I

6  51.12746111  013.75621667    755 11050  10  300040.830 IDRE EDDC   ED 04  GS
6  51.14081111  013.77459444    703 10975  10  300220.806 IDRW EDDC   ED 22  GS

8  51.11698611  013.74552222    755     0   0      40.830 IDRE EDDC   ED 04  MM
8  51.14976111  013.79049444    755     0   0     220.806 IDRW EDDC   ED 22  MM

Changing the values for GS and ILS-cat-I to 10975 from 10970 causes x-plane to use 109.75:

B733_87.jpg

Not sure if that has any unwanted side effect though.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Litjan said:

Here is somethting to try:

Tune the correct frequency of 109.70 Mhz for the ILS 22 EDDC (IDRW). I don´t think it ever was 109.75...

Let me know how that goes!?

Cheers, Jan

I'll try this when I get home from work. I've read your post bellow the qouted one and it's an interesting read. I always thought the ILS frequencies are updated with navigraph.

Edited by Denco

Or you can just do it like me - copy the new (Navigraph) data not only into the /Custom Data folder, but also into the /Custom Scenery/Global Airports/Earth Nav Data folder - then you will also use the new and updated data for all ILS approaches. Downsides: The LOC may not be exactly on the runway centerlines (on slightly misaligned airports) and you will be prompted to overwrite the data on every X-Plane update...

However: The thing that is really interesting about this is that the OP said that he got the frequency for the ILS (109.75) from the X-Plane map, but X-Plane seems to use 109.70.

So there are some possible reasons:

1.) A bug in X-Plane, possibly taking the data for the map from another source than the data for the actual indication

2.) A language barrier problem, maybe the OP took the ILS frequency from another (third party) "map", not the one in X-Plane

Jan

Edited by Litjan
  • Upvote 1

I don´t know who you sent a ticket to, but if it is to X-Aviation, you will not get a solutionr to your problem from them - they are responsible for technical support in relation to your purchase, the download or the installation not working.

Anything not working on the plane itself (aircraft bugs/deficiencies) is handled by us (IXEG) through these forums.

If you are experiencing a X-Plane bug, you need to tell Laminar Research through their bug report form.

Cheers, Jan

Ok thanks then i send a ticket to xaviation for nothing:))) If i understand i must talk to you for my bug ok then how resolve the bug i have with the autopilot i wrot upside ils not working dont catch VOR  neither GS....is it because i have the last version of xplane??? the 11.10 ? because Ixeg 737 was working before with the firsts versions i have bought but with the last version 1.2 and xplane 11.10 this functions  doen t works.

Excuse my English i m french canadian:))