AirTrack

Oliver

So a while back, Simon had posted up another blog, and in that blog was included a short review about an APP called Air Track. Air Track is an App made for X-Plane that gives you the ability to see a full PFD, MFD, FMC, directly on your iPad! It allows you to create flightplans, using the 9.7 inch touch screen, something a lot of us have always wanted, a touch screen FMC! The application also allows you to see what other traffic is around you in vatsim on your MFD as in a real aircraft. I've wanted to post this in case in case some of you with an iPad were wondering whether this app was worth it or not. This app costs 10$ in the Apple Appstore. The App is also available for iPhone, and iPod touch. The best part is this app works anywhere, so you can take it with you in your car and you will feel in a cockpit  ;D

Here is the website where the X-Plane plugin is at: http://air.ipobjects.com/products/airtrack

You can read more about every feature there! I, by far recommend this to anyone who owns X-Plane, and an iPad!

The pictures were taken directly from the site, as my internet wasn't letting me upload my pictures of the app.

mfd5.png

fmc5.png

mcp3.png

mfd4.png

• 2 weeks later...

I think I mentioned in the most recent update about AT posted at the blog that the next revision is reported to have the ability to handle SID/STARS and holding patterns. It's by far the most utilitarian iPad App for XP. Fair price, great tech support, and the plug-in appears bulletproof. Never had a crash.

Good, the shot of the AP made me feel a little safer using it online, and that would be the main reason for me to not get it.  Just one question, can you use the frequency on vatsim or do you have to return to the computer if you enter controlled airspace?  Also, can you see what pilots are saying on the unicom?

Nope, it's simply to control the frequency, you can't speak directly to the controllers from your iPad, if that's what you're asking

Bought it but cant make it connect to my mac.

Probably me missing out on something.

Have you downloaded and installed the plugin?

On the first screen (Settings) there's a light grey box "Device Location Services". Underneath should appear the IP address of your Mac. You have to select it - it's not obvious that it's a 'button'. That should do it. I also tried it with a friend's PC - and we had to check/uncheck R/C button (to left of EFIS screen?) before it all became active. It's a great add-on.

Morten,

I have a Mac/Airport extreme set up and initially had problems.  First, I didnt have the plug-in but you have that covered.  Then, I could get it to work (on my iPad) only by connecting it directly via USB (does that work for you?).  In the end, it was a simple fix - under the home screen with "Flight Data"/Device Location services" I selected it by touching then away it went wirelessly.

Hope this helps.

Beej

Ok, think I found a solution in the FAQ page.

1.3 I'm using a Mac and the Internet sharing funcionality to create a WiFi network for my devices. I've downloaded the X-Plane plugin, installed it and it loads fine, but I don't see my flight appearing on the iPhone/iPad/iPod as it should. What could it be?

If you're using Internet sharing the chances are that you are using your built-in Ethernet port to connect to the Internet. This is just one way of hitting a more generic problem which may occur when having multiple network interfaces with different subnets.

The AirTrack plugin broadcasts messages to the multicast address 239.224.224.1, the iPhone/iPad/iPod devices listen on this multicast address for packets and this is why you don't have to configure any IP address for using it.

Since there is no specific route for 239.224.224.1, your computer will send packets out using the default route which, in your case, might be pointing to a different Interface, say en0/Ethernet for example.

The way to fix this is to force packets to go out on the wireless LAN interface. You can do this by simply adding a static route for the multicast address above with a command similar to the following:

# sudo route add -host 239.224.224.1/32 -interface en1

Assume it's in Terminal one should enter the command..?

M

Yes, that FAQ was complete gobbledegook to me although I'm moderately computer literate just not on networks.  Perhaps I'm being a little repetitive Morten so I apologise but under "flight data" do you see "device location services" then under that "X-Plane on 10.0.1.2" (or similar subnet).  If so, the ipad (in my case) wont actually talk to X-Plane unless you highlight "X-Plane on 10.0.1.2".  If that all looks fine, try loading a flight plan into the FMC, go to FMC/EFIS on Airtrack and see if you have success! 

Beej

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out I will need to run Terminal commands each time I want to use it.

Thats too complicated for someone with code-fobia like me :D

Hi Morten. Sorry you're having problems with this. It should be so easy! The app is excellent so it's well worth solving this problem - and I'm sure you won't need any of that terminal mumbojumbo. I also know that the next version is with Apple just waiting approval - here's a preview http://www.facebook.com/pages/AirTrack/194796633866767. I have found the developers VERY helpful and responsive - my first bug report received a reply in 10 minutes. I suggest you email them the specifics. I just can't believe that with a standard Mac and router there should be any messing around needed.

One possibility I can think of: I guess you probably have a set-up like mine - a desktop Mac connected to a wireless router (in my case, by ethernet). The only time I ever had to fiddle with router settings was when I tried X-Plane P2P which I seem to remember required 'port forwarding' being enabled for port 49000. I don't have a clue what it's about, but it was easy enough with my Netgear router to login to the router and make the port forwarding setting. Since then I have not needed to touch it. Maybe this is why my iPad DOES connect with X-Plane without a problem?

I had a visit from Splendor Bouman yesterday - he's just started flying for Easyjet - and we played around with the AirTrack app. He was greatly impressed, which is as good an endorsement as I can think of  :). I hope you get an answer and get the app working. I love it!