Announcing The Gate to the Great Lakes

Cameron

Heads up. The windsock animation doesn't seem to work? And for me, the VRAM usage is rather high compared to many other sceneries. I get that this is a very detailed scenery but it would be nice to have the options for a lower res version where the ground and airport stuff keeps its high detail but maybe a few normal maps are scraped. And then the rest of the buildings could be half the resolution(also found a lot of .png's that I converted to .dds's and it lowered the VRAM usage almost a 1 GB. I am sure there is a reason they weren't png's but I took the chance and converted anyway). Regardless this is an awesome scenery that easily jumps to the top of my list of favorite sceneries out there. Great work. :)

9 minutes ago, Karl1206 said:

the VRAM usage is rather high compared to many other sceneries.

Considering most other sceneries do not cover a span of 64 sq miles with custom buildings and objects all throughout, this is to be expected. "Many other sceneries" do not do this type of coverage in detail. :)

@Attitude will have to answer the rest of your thoughts. :D

1 minute ago, Cameron said:

Considering most other sceneries do not cover a span of 64 sq miles with custom buildings and objects all throughout, this is to be expected. "Many other sceneries" do not do this type of coverage in detail. :)

@Attitude will have to answer the rest of your thoughts. :D

haha, yea that's why I pointed out that I knew it was a very detailed scenery. My main point was just that it would be nice to have a more VRAM friendly version for us 2GB VRAM squids lol.

Just now, Karl1206 said:

haha, yea that's why I pointed out that I knew it was a very detailed scenery. My main point was just that it would be nice to have a more VRAM friendly version for us 2GB VRAM squids lol.

Whoa! 2GB seems awfully low these days. Are you on a  Mac or something? I guess that would make a little more sense.

I'd have to agree, with 2GB as a whole you're really pushing the limits of X-Plane as it is.

1 minute ago, Cameron said:

Whoa! 2GB seems awfully low these days. Are you on a  Mac or something? I guess that would make a little more sense.

I'd have to agree, with 2GB as a whole you're really pushing the limits of X-Plane as it is.

Well, it is surprisingly not that bad. I mostly fly GA so in the plane department I have ever only had issues with one plane but they supplied a 2K texture package as an option instead of 4K which solved all the issues. I can always run with texture quality on high so my sim still looks rather nice. I am on a windows pc that I built 3-4 years ago but I get 35 fps in payware and 50 in default but anything above 30 I can fly in. I just couldn't help but notice that most of the textures included in the scenery were 4K which is quite heavy for me. Not a big deal if you can't make a 2K texture pack, I can always do that myself but I just don't want to turn my texture quality down because it ruins the beautiful ground textures included in this scenery. 

2 hours ago, Karl1206 said:

Well, it is surprisingly not that bad. I mostly fly GA so in the plane department I have ever only had issues with one plane but they supplied a 2K texture package as an option instead of 4K which solved all the issues. I can always run with texture quality on high so my sim still looks rather nice. I am on a windows pc that I built 3-4 years ago but I get 35 fps in payware and 50 in default but anything above 30 I can fly in. I just couldn't help but notice that most of the textures included in the scenery were 4K which is quite heavy for me. Not a big deal if you can't make a 2K texture pack, I can always do that myself but I just don't want to turn my texture quality down because it ruins the beautiful ground textures included in this scenery. 

Hey Karl. Windsock is working for me. Dumb question, but did you have any wind? That might be an issue hehehe. I might consider the option for a reduced quality package but I'm not too sure right now. As of png to dds...I am very aware of the benefits of the dds filetype in x plane and with 296 textures in dds format and only 30 in png  (and yes for a reason ;) ) I am not sure If that would be considered alot, lol. Definitely not 1GB worth. Let me see how things go for now. If the demand is high enough for lower quality download I will make it happen. Just curious, where is your reflections slider at? Where is your object density slider at? Textures slider? Detroit with 100,000+ objects is 20 miles to the North, it has a BIG impact on the system. Thanks for your support, talk with you soon. You can always dm me If you would like. 

Edited by Attitude
missing reply...

6 minutes ago, Attitude said:

Hey Karl. Windsock is working for me. Dumb question, but did you have any wind? That might be an issue hehehe. I might consider the option for a reduced quality package but I'm not too sure right now. As of png to dds...I am very aware of the benefits of the dds filetype in x plane and with 296 textures in dds format and only 30 in png  (and yes for a reason ;) ) I am not sure If that would be considered alot, lol. Definitely not 1GB worth. Let me see how things go for now. If the demand is high enough for lower quality download I will make it happen. Just curious, where is your reflections slider at? Where is your object density slider at? Textures slider? Detroit with 100,000+ objects is 20 miles to the North, it has a BIG impact on the system. Thanks for your support, talk with you soon. You can always dm me If you would like. 

Yea I figured there was a good reason for the png's to not be dds's and sorry I didn't mean 1GB I meant 100MB. My conversion went wrong haha. I have my object density to high and texture quality to high. (and says it's loading 2.8GB VRAM) which is what is leading me to believe that is my issue. I don't seem to have a bad framerate per say (35 constantly) but I get stutters and I am guessing that is because the sim is loading and unloading textures as it goes since it can't load everything at once. My reflections are all the way down as it recks my framerate in all sceneries if any higher. As for the windsock, the issue was indeed no wind haha. I thought I set the wind but I guess not. The windsock looks quite extended even with no wind so that could cause confusion :) 

Hi everybody

For those who want to deal with FINE Tunnings in the Xplane default graphics settings, as LOD, reflexions and SHADOWS ( by simply putting this one to 0  i achieve a nice 45 fps on my i7 4790k 16gb GTX1080 rig and this SCENERY.)and many more

You'll have to deal with the FLYwith LUA thing...

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/38809-rendering-options-plugin-for-x-plane-11/

enjoy !

Ps: here's a simplified though powerful version of a rendering options tool.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/36925-rendering-options-for-xp11/

Both are known to be XP10.05 OK......can't say with XP11.10 ?

Edited by pierolowfinujaz
  • Upvote 1

Cameron, i assume you are from michigan?

i live out in howell and do my ppl training at kozw. I also fly to karb sometimes so i am excited to see that when it comes out.

will you be doing kdet with kdtw?

also fix the bridges on grosse ile, that needs to go with the detroit skyline. X plane 10 had horrible bridges so i cant wait to see those updated. 11 isnt as bad but still not real.

ktvc and chicago skyline will be nice too.

also maybe kmcd and the mackinac bridge.

• Upvote 1

I just checked and I have the 1070!  When I bought the computer, the difference between what a 1070 vs a 1080 did for P3D v3 were insignificant. Now with P3D v4 and XP11 that lack of difference may no longer be true in all cases. So far I have had no FPS issues with P3d v4 or any addons for it.  That being said, as far as XP11 goes, prior to this software, I ran XP11 with full sliders to the right and had no  issues of framerate problems at all. Might be getting close to time to upgrade the video card!

12 minutes ago, joebury2004 said:

Cameron, i assume you are from michigan?

i live out in howell and do my ppl training at kozw. I also fly to karb sometimes so i am excited to see that when it comes out.

will you be doing kdet with kdtw?

also fix the bridges on grosse ile, that needs to go with the detroit skyline. X plane 10 had horrible bridges so i cant wait to see those updated. 11 isnt as bad but still not real.

ktvc and chicago skyline will be nice too.

also maybe kmcd and the mackinac bridge.

Attitude Simulations is based in Ann Arbor and our other artists are out West in Twenty Nine Palms, CA and San Antonio, TX. Come get fuel from me at Solo, KARB, once you get your ppl. Detroit will have most of the river taken care of but being so big I probably won't include DET. KMCD definitely as well is WIP as you can see below...EMB500_Phenom-_XP11_74.pngEMB500_Phenom-_XP11_75.png

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rodtod11 said:

I just checked and I have the 1070!  When I bought the computer, the difference between what a 1070 vs a 1080 did for P3D v3 were insignificant. Now with P3D v4 and XP11 that lack of difference may no longer be true in all cases. So far I have had no FPS issues with P3d v4 or any addons for it.  That being said, as far as XP11 goes, prior to this software, I ran XP11 with full sliders to the right and had no  issues of framerate problems at all. Might be getting close to time to upgrade the video card!

I run a 1070, 16gb of ram, and an I7 4770k, run this scenery at 50+ frames at the minimum. The reflections slider I always keep low, the reflections are still not correctly optimized in X-Plane 11, they lag on the aircraft, and have some weird artifacts. Most users I speak to always have this set at minimum.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 15nm Arc said:

Any thoughts on including Duluth, MN? (KDLH - Duluth International and KDYT - Sky Harbor, plus surrounding area) I would think that this location would be the flagship to the entire scenery pack...

DTW is our flagship for sure ;) ....I have thought about Duluth, it would be a great place for Cirrus pilots in the sim! Can't make any promises but If the support we get from the community meets our goals then we will definitely consider it. Requests are great! I would love to fill in the entire region and have fun places to fly everywhere!!

• Upvote 1

Steven,

can ortho be removed? it seems that super high res. ortho eats my VRAM for breakfast around the airport itself. Everywhere else I get 

50 FPS. 

Is it tiles folder that can be removed? or would you have lower res. orthos?

Many thanks,

Dan

Have you tried adjusting your reflection settings in X-Plane? Just curious if that makes a difference for you.

I have it all dialed in for my system. WOW!!!  I really dont want to leave the area !  You guys need to create MORE! I'll buy it! 

On 11/13/2017 at 5:23 PM, wickedbacon said:

I run a 1070, 16gb of ram, and an I7 4770k, run this scenery at 50+ frames at the minimum. The reflections slider I always keep low, the reflections are still not correctly optimized in X-Plane 11, they lag on the aircraft, and have some weird artifacts. Most users I speak to always have this set at minimum.

Since turning off reflections this scenery has been spectacular!  I'm looking forward to see what else they do. I hope they bundle cities and airports 

• Upvote 1