Mitsubishi MU-2 Version 1.8 Update Released!

Cameron

I will certainly be paying for the upgrade I do love teh turboprops. But if I am correct and must check, the power lever is sitting at flight idle not ground idle, and it wont go below that till I set Props to full forward. Maybe teh Power levers need to start at ground idle, and yes just checked that is where they are, flight idle. At ground idle it shouldnt run away. Love this bird.

JUst had a play, if you move the prop levers just a tad forward of taxi indent, you can get the power levers to go into beta. But need to be in correct spot, i had them both going into beta moved one  a tad and than i had one going froward teh other going backwards at same time

Edited by mjrhealth

Ah did I just missed the elephant in the room?!

I was following the instruction earlier in this post:

What if I didn't get the update e-mail?

If you did not receive your update e-mail don't fret! X-Aviation has updated our system to allow all customers to update with ease, regardless of whether you received an e-mail for the update! Simply login to your account and re-download your original order.

But perhaps that is where the problem lies.

when I open the ..X-Aviation\Mitsubishi MU-2B-60 folder, I see all files ending at 15, like xsMU2B60_15.acf

Am I right to assume that v1.5 is installed instead of 1.8?

-- edit --

Just to be sure, I downloaded from x-aviation, the zip file is called something MU2_1.8.zip, inside I used the MU2-windows-installer.exe to install. It downloads the installation files from a server and installs the aircraft. could it be that the server data, or the link in the installer is not updated?

Edited by PilotNL

On 10/26/2017 at 3:06 PM, HansRoaming said:

Awesome and thanks, love the new cockpit.

@ BeachAV8R , what's the scenery please? And your review made me buy the plane, thanks very much as I put the most hours on it of any plane in my hanger.

Hey, glad to hear you enjoyed the review. That scenery is the the really nice Lufker - Spadaro (1N2) airport in New Jersey. I really like it for smaller aircraft.

Regards,

BeachAV8R

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, tkyler said:

Hi Dave, thanks for purchasing.   Existing customers will have to pay for the upgrade, but it will be at a discounted price, certainly not a full price....so in essence, you (and all previous customers) are paying for the new work.  You won't be paying for the same thing though, because what I envision as a V2.....the current one is no where near it!  It will be quite some time yet before a V2 comes out.

For pressurization, basically you set the cabin alt to whatever you want to....but should understand the implications.  If you set cabin altitude to zero...or some field elevation, say 750', then the max altitude you can go will be in the little window at the bottom of the pressurization panel, (17,500 in this example).   At that max altitude, the pressure on the cabin/fuselage will be the max allowed for the structure.   In such a case (17.5k), you're really stressing out the fuselage (possibly shortening life), in exchange for maintaining a really low (and therefore more comfortable) cabin altitude.  If you need to fly higher than 17.5k in this example, then you'll have to up the cabin altitude setting, which lowers the pressure on the fuse and allows you to climb a bit higher (but increasing the pressure back up towards max allowed).  At the max cabin altitude setting of 10k, the max altitude you can go (where cabin psi is max allowed) is 30k...which about the ceiling of the MU2....so whats the preferred way to manage it?

In the real thing, we would generally set the cabin altitude to 6k or 7k, and cruise anywhere up to 24k.  6k/7k cabin altitude is not terribly uncomfortable, no headaches or dizziness probably.   since its a sim though and we don't worry about the fuselage breaking or being uncomfortable, you can just set the cabin alt to 10k and call it a day.   If you want to be more realistic, its hard to say, because a pilot who suffers no ill effects at 10k would just set cabin altitude to 10k and guarantee he's stressing the airframe at the very minimum.   When I flew, we rarely went over 14k (short distance hops is why), and just set the cabin altitude to 5k.  For cross-country longer than 2 hours, where I may get about 20k, I may set the cabin alt @7k.

If you were a charter operation though and had paying passengers, you may set the cabin altitude to 5k or 6k to keep em happy......and only increase cabin pressure if you had to for whatever reason...maybe ATC told you to climb or something....in which case you'd get on the PA and tell the passengers they may encounter some ear popping as you dialed the cabin alt up to 10k and start to climb....and if they don't like it, they can fly with some other outfit.

-tkyler

Thanks for the explanantion on the pressurization system.  Its different from the KA, which is what I'm used to.  I look forward to the eventual release of V2.  This is a great machine already...it'll be awesome to see what you enhance on it.

Dave

If you're not able to enter reverse mode, here is what I've found:

With conditions levers set to "Taxi" it's forced out of reverse mode (or cannot enter it)
Just move the cond.levers up a bit and you'll be able to enter rev.mode.
Don't know if these values are directly related, but if you show prop1/prop2 data, 1260 is the threshold.

Hope this helps.

Edited by nicotum
  • Upvote 2

Hello all, I just thought I would jump in and ask if anybody knows where to get the latest paint kit that takes advantage of the PBR reflections for X-Plane 11.  I noticed in the 1.8 package that I downloaded from the server he did not include add paint kit.  Just curious to know so I can make my own livery.  Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Dion Markgraf
Aka: Dionsol

Hi all you MU-2 addicted pilots (like myself :)  ).

I am very pleased to inform you that now "my" new MU-2 version 1.8 works (actually flies and handles) perfect on X-plane 11, as far as I have experienced this night. (02:55 am now).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First my "machine":

Acer Predator G9-791.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz  2.60GHz  

RAM: 32.0 GB

System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64- based processor

Display adapters: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 / NVIDDIA GeForce GTX 980M

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                            

So, what was wrong, and what did I do:

As I have written here before, this is what did not work,- not even with the new version 1.8 in X-plane 11.:

1 ) No brakes. I tried again and again in every way to assign brakes to key board and stick, but nope: No brakes ! ( Which  was my worst frustration, since one of the challenges of flying along the long coast line of Norway is to operate from all the AFIS controlled smaller airports. Some of them very challenging as they are often found near mountains, alongside narrow fjords and  with weather conditions like wind share, turbulence, down drafts, crosswind,- you name it. Add icing or heavy rain and low visibility too, and you get the picture.

As for instance this night I landed on the my local airport of Island of Stord, Sørstokken (ENSO), south of city of Bergen with simulator set to real weather condition. Wind 300 / around 30 knots, gusting to above 40 with wind share and turbulence on final but the MU-2 placed its wheels safely on the runway despite interesting kind of dancing all the way down).

2 ) The new battery switches did not work.

3) The simulator became very slow, at 1/2 to 1/3th of normal speed, even I have a very powerful laptop. NB! Not at all sure this had anything with installation of new MU-2 version to do.

I tried to reinstal the MU-2 , updated X-plane 11 and other things, but it did not make any difference. I supposed that I just had to wait for an update of MU-2 version 1.8.

But then decided that despite all the work it would be to reinstall all the Norwegian stuff and plugins, I wanted to give it a try if I just thrashed the complete X-plane 11 software into the paper bin. (Easy way to uninstall X-plane ! No runing of any uninstallation needed.)

Then I downloaded and installed X-plane 11 again (Which took more than two hours with the scenery I marked for), added my local Norwegian stuff and plugins, installed the MU-2 version 1.8 again and started the simulator. Result ? EVERYTHING NOW WORKS PERFECT !

My MU-2 has brakes, EGT = perfect as far as I can see, new battery switches work, reflections in instruments, reverse thrust and everything else as far as I can see works just perfect.

Oh, just to mention it: The flight sim experience becomes even more realistic after I installed the plugin X-life from JARDesign. Even if it at the moment just offers three Norwegian airports: ENGM (Oslo/Gardermoen), ENVA (Trondheim) and ENSD (SANDANE).  For those who eventually do not know what X-life does, I can say that it simulates traffic starting up, taxing, taking off and landing as well as flying including ATC with that traffic and you. But of course, there are also VATSIM and PILOTEDGE.

One final tip: Set up a challenging weather and go landing on runway 09 at ENSD with your MU-2. Said to be one of worlds most dangerous airports. I found a video of a Beech King Air 200 landing there, but in fair weather seemingly: 

The MU- 2 is now exactly what I was waiting eagerly for. Thank you ! B):)

All the best from

Harald Eide

Island of Stord

Norway

13 hours ago, Dionsol said:

Hello all, I just thought I would jump in and ask if anybody knows where to get the latest paint kit that takes advantage of the PBR reflections for X-Plane 11.  I noticed in the 1.8 package that I downloaded from the server he did not include add paint kit.  Just curious to know so I can make my own livery.  Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Dion Markgraf
Aka: Dionsol

yea Dion..we totally forgot it.   Its here.....BUT, note that the one from V10 works perfectly fine, they are the same.  PBR effects are through the normal maps and object files, which are included.   But for those new owners looking for it, point them here.

xsMU2_Paint_Kit.zip

Edited by tkyler
  • Upvote 1

FYI, Alan Shafto, aka "Rush", came across some good things in Plane-Maker that I'm going to dig into and see if I can't get this throttle/prop control a little more refined without having to rewrite the engine model just yet.    Thanks to him for pointing it out.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
  • Upvote 1

Hey Tom,

I've noticed from watching other guys on Twitch and YouTube that they seem to be able to stay in beta without going full reverse.  I don't know their hardware, but on my CH Products TQ, I don't have that ability.  Its either flight idle or full reverse.  So I can taxi, but its a constant cycling into reverse to manage the speed.  I've looked around XP to find ways to adjust the curves for the throttle axis to see if I can't fine tune them a little but am having no luck. I am new to XP so it may be right in front of me and I'm missing it.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

6 hours ago, envey777 said:

Im a brand new customer i purchased it yesterday, also all I want to do is use my throtlles I have wothhog controls all switchs work except mixture, props , throttle....

Move mixture with mouse to a tad above TAxi indent, than you can move throttle into beta.

@Boevad and all other ch throttle quadrant users, I have setup the axis 1/2 for powerlevers. 3/4 condition levers, 5/6 for reverse. 

So on the ground you basically work the right two levers for taxi and reverse, in flight the left two in the alpha range.

with regards to austin and the pt6, that might be true but all the functions for a geared turboprop are available in plane maker so that sounds like a poor excuse to make an awesome product better ;)

2 hours ago, PilotNL said:

but all the functions for a geared turboprop are available in plane maker so that sounds like a poor excuse to make an awesome product better

I've known Austin for more than a few years and worked for Laminar for 4.  We have had face-to-face discussions on the subject. There are many things missing to simulate a Garrett to the degree I aspire in the MU2, period,  all the functions are most assuredly not there and what has to be considered is the varied ways users interact with the Moo.  Some settings (such as the joystick throw settings) will work for some folks preferences, but others don't like it.  Some folks actually only use a mouse, believe it or not.  Trying to cater to each of these cases can sometimes impact other users preferences, especially for the throttle/condition levers.  I would concede that a more advanced, custom prefs interface to address such is warranted.  I do very much appreciate your kind words and sentiment,  but insinuating a quick trip around plane-maker will make everything better and I'm just making excuses is not a valid assumption at all.

It is evident Austin has made some changes to the turboprop engine model and I am going to take another look at my engine/levers implementation and see whats what.    I do think though, that maybe providing a section in the manual that walks folks through making their own changes in plane-maker regarding some joystick options might be warranted.  There are a couple of checkboxes in there that I could easily see being a valid "preference" for users that can only be made within plane-maker.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler

StevePHL & PilotNL....Thanks.  I did what you suggested and it's working.  So I have the two axis' that were once my mixtures as Reverse 1 & Reverse 2.  If anyone else tries this method, make sure you uncheck the box that says this is a CH Products controller below each axis.  When checked on my system, it didn't work...unchecked, its a fix.  I bump the props slightly out of taxi.  Then the reverse levers work power levers below the flight idle mark.  The throttles control the power levers above the flight idle detent.  Thanks everyone!

Dave

Edited by Boevad

On 27.10.2017 at 2:01 PM, tkyler said:

A few things.   If you have a joystick installed, you won't be able to work the throttles with the mouse.  I used to support this (sort of).  But given three ways to work the throttles,  mouse | hardware | command keys.....it was very very difficult to keep all in sync with animation.  If you alternated between joystick and mouse, then you would get "out of sync" isssues....so I just clamped down on trying to do it all and said, "if someone hooks up hardware, they want to use that hardware....no mouse"  I may change my mind, I'm a better coder now than I was when I first attempted supporting all three. 

"Ground range" is reverse....KIND OF.  The MU2 only has two control modes, "prop control" and "beta control"....and reverse is simple that portion of "beta control" where the thrust vector points forward...which is somewhere between ground idle and reverse on the throttle throw.  There exists some point of throttle position between ground and reverse where thrust vector will be near zero.  The reverse light was put up on the panel in response to a few folks who wanted to set their joystick up in planemaker where you can map the throw of the joystick throttle to the total throw of the quadrant....meaning all the way 'back' was full revese.  The challenge in this case, is joysticks don't have detents so it was very very difficult to know when you were going into beta range...and on final approach, this is really no good, so by having that light there, it let folks know when the were right at that detent.  Labeling it "reverse" is a bit misleading though...might should change that to 'beta'.

There's another rub with X-Plane flight model...when you go into beta, the  "reverse light lights up".....and the RPM will go to 100%.  This is a "X-Plane-ism" that Austin implements when the plane is in reverse...and falls under the category of "Tom needs to override the entire engine model to model the MU2 engines correctly, including prop locks and fuel governor...and oh yea, also a prop governor algorithm"...and all that will have to wait till V2.0 as its quite a bit involved.

So we have to live with some of these 'isms' of x-plane in the process.  Once on the takeoff roll,  You don't notice these.

As far as moving into ground range, try hitting the '/' key to go into reverse, (reverse light lights up) and then advance the throttle on your joystick....that will make the quadrant throttle lever go towards full reverse....and you generally taxi in this range.  You MAY have to go in/out of reverse during taxi and this is VERY real....I've done it myself dozens of times in the real thing.....we literally go in and out of beta/reverse to manage taxi speed.  We get to  much speed....go into reverse....we slow down, we go out of beta.....we get too fast...etc.

-tkyler

Hi Tom,

I have the same issues: no brakes, no reverse, nothing work properly... I have the TQ6 Flight Quadrant and am very happy with them. But there is no way to fly this Moo...also the tires were blown out, so no fun and direct to the hangar. Sorry for that but I don´t understand why in some machines it work and in others not.

Regards

6 minutes ago, ALH said:

Hi Tom,

I have the same issues: no brakes, no reverse, nothing work properly... I have the TQ6 Flight Quadrant and am very happy with them. But there is no way to fly this Moo...also the tires were blown out, so no fun and direct to the hangar. Sorry for that but I don´t understand why in some machines it work and in others not.

Regards

That is a complete mystery.  tires blown out?  can't say I have ANY code relating to that.   No way to really know without looking over your shoulder in some capacity, like a screenshare.  Perhaps resetting X-Plane's failure menu as a start.   

Does the battery key turn and some annunciator lights come on when you turn that key?

-tkyler

• Cameron unpinned and locked this topic