X-Plane 11.10 beta is close

Tom Stian

5 minutes ago, wain said:

mine have always been green, then click on them and they go clear, isn't that by design?

Yep, thats how they work. The real ones are made out of plastic and are a pain to get in and out. We used to have those old Captains that insisted on taking them out during the night, so they could spot...well, what exactly? The enemy nightfighters´ exhaust glow? :lol: Thats what you get for flying with WWII veterans...

Edited by Litjan
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Litjan said:

We used to have those old Captains that insisted on taking them out during the night, so they could spot...well, what exactly? The enemy nightfighters´ exhaust glow? :lol: Thats what you get for flying with WWII veterans...

Well, it's getting close to xmas... a fat guy in red suit and reindeer perhaps

• Upvote 2

On 10/12/2017 at 4:33 PM, Tom Stian said:

And I feel the ground effect fix .. Its almost flying on rails now compared to 11.05 during takeoff and landing. Forgot how to fly without this bug.

Seriously? 

I've done numerous test over the last few days with mixed results. I noticed that the severity depends on the aircraft but almost all of the aircraft had the tendency to nose drop on to the runway. The planes I tested were IXEG, FlyTeAir Piper Arrow 3, Cherokee140 and stock Cessna 172. IXEG and the arrow 3 feared the worse and it literally felt as if there was a wall blocking my pitch on a flare. The others felt better but the nose drop was still felt and it still requires too much back pressure on a yoke.

Those are just my observations.

Edited by Denco
  • Upvote 1

On 10/13/2017 at 1:11 PM, Litjan said:

They seem to be fine for me in b2:

Well, I was still getting blocked out windows, so I merely took my copy from my dedicated xplane 1105 and put it in the xplane beta and it's now good to go, back to normal.  I wonder if the initial dl on that particular drive was not complete, or sumptin..anyway, back to great flying. Thanks Litjan!!!

16 hours ago, Denco said:

Seriously? 

I've done numerous test over the last few days with mixed results. I noticed that the severity depends on the aircraft but almost all of the aircraft had the tendency to nose drop on to the runway. The planes I tested were IXEG, FlyTeAir Piper Arrow 3, Cherokee140 and stock Cessna 172. IXEG and the arrow 3 feared the worse and it literally felt as if there was a wall blocking my pitch on a flare. The others felt better but the nose drop was still felt and it still requires too much back pressure on a yoke.

Those are just my observations.

It was my first impression only. I havent been able to fly the 733 on the beta so much yet. 

But I see people have different experience. I noticed that someone said that the Carenado B1900D was much smoother now. For my it is unflyable. Im not even able to do a proper takeoff.

I have some more time now with the 733 since the VATSIM CTP is over. So will for sure test it more :) 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Denco said:

Can anyone flare this plane properly at 15 or 20 feet in beta4? It's almost impossible to raise the nose at that point.

Yes, I can properly flare this plane (you saw my video) and Austin is considering the ground effect on the stabilizer fixed at this point, and so do I.

There is probably something wrong with your joystick settings or the way you set the CG, the airspeed you land at or the something else.

I can fly and land the plane just fine and it does not handle much differently in the landing than the real aircraft did for me.

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Hullu-poika said:

Is this slow motion video?

No, real time. Yes, you have to "pull" more than in XP11.05 during the break, but there is enough authority to do the maneuver unless trim and speed control are bad during the approach.

I can´t say that I think the new model that Austin did is an improvement - but I can live with it and we may be able to do some adjustment to it later.

If you are not happy with it, by all means let Austin know! File bug reports here:

http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.html

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Litjan

5 hours ago, Litjan said:

Yes, I can properly flare this plane (you saw my video) and Austin is considering the ground effect on the stabilizer fixed at this point, and so do I.

There is probably something wrong with your joystick settings or the way you set the CG, the airspeed you land at or the something else.

I can fly and land the plane just fine and it does not handle much differently in the landing than the real aircraft did for me.

Cheers, Jan

I saw the video, but never realized it was yours. I had my suspicions thought :) . Time I get some practice in I guess. How does one calculate the CG. Most payware planes will do this for you so I got kind of spoiled by that.

Edited by Denco

Hi Denco,

I just tried the "737 walz" in 11.10b4 that my real instructor demonstrated during my initial landing training in 96:

Approach normally, but don´t arm the spoilers! Add, 1-2% N1 just before touchdown. Now float down the runway, touching down with the left wheel, then the right wheel, then the left... The ground effect will keep you floating without speed loss.

You will have to pull quite a bit in X-Plane, but it shows that it there is enough elevator authority.

The CG can be adjusted in the "ground services" menu before takeoff, and it will calculate the resultant takeoff trim setting for you. Note that this trim setting will be too much "nose up" after you climb out of ground effect, another sideeffect of Austin´s new downwash model. We will adjust that after 11.10 goes final. Be prepared to trim nose-down after climbing through 20 feet or so...

Jan

• Upvote 3

On 21. oktober 2017 at 7:39 PM, Morten said:

Austin is obviously still experimenting with the ground effect, affects all aircraft.  At this point report your observations to LR. 

Just to correct myself, aircraft with high tail, like an MD80, will hardly see a pitch down change because their horizontal stabilizer is not flying directly in the wing downwash..

M

9 hours ago, Litjan said:

Hi Denco,

I just tried the "737 walz" in 11.10b4 that my real instructor demonstrated during my initial landing training in 96:

Approach normally, but don´t arm the spoilers! Add, 1-2% N1 just before touchdown. Now float down the runway, touching down with the left wheel, then the right wheel, then the left... The ground effect will keep you floating without speed loss.

Jan

Don't worry, like I said on the .org I'm going to believe a real pilot over my instincts anytime ;). I'm currently flying my second leg with the first one being quite successful on landing considering the turbulent weather at San Francisco.

It's been a while since I last flown in XP, been waiting on the 11.10 release and ground wash implementation. After doing some test flights I still can't believe how well this plane feels when hand flying. Truly something I've newer experienced in any other flight simulator especially not in XP. I really hope this isn't your last plane and I also hope that the next one you make is going to be something popular, like 738 or 747, so that you get payed in tons for your talent. But I also understand that you guys are still planning to improve the 733 so I don't mind the wait.

Edited by Denco