Autopilot banking oscillation

Czar

Hello. I've been enjoying your product as well as reading about the future work on the VNAV and related systems.

I've searched about this issue without getting any results. Sorry if it's a duplicated report.
I've been noticing an unusual oscillation on the banking when the auto pilot encounters a open turn on the flight path given the route characteristics.

The route flown is a SID from KLAS called BOACH SEVEN from runway 07L between BAKRR and MINEY. SID route: https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1708/pdf/00662BOACH.PDF This behavior is also seen on different navigation paths that features such open turns.

A recording follows in this link:

I'd like to know if it's a normal behavior on the autopilot when encountering such turns transferring the blame onto the FMC plotting such turns incorrectly (I know it's unlikely, but I'm not a programmer) or is something like the AP is shifting between bank angles values to keep itself on the Nav Path.

Appreciated your product.

EDIT: Turbulence were absent.

Edited by Czar

Hi,

this type of oscillation is normal for our product - it is a byproduct of the route being really just a sequence of points, not an actual curve. So the autopilot is really following a number of straight segments that make up the curve. The algorithm to make the plane follow a complex lateral part in various conditions (speed, wind, etc.) is fairly complex and always a trade-off between accuracy and smoothness.

Cheers, Jan