To buy or not to buy...that is the question

miked176766

Hi,

I am looking for someone who has an AMD rig running a FX8350 and has upgraded their GPU to a GTX 1070 or a GTX 1080. I am interested in the prospect  of increased performance over a GTX 970. I am aware of the constraints of an AMD FX series cpu and the reason I would like the information is that I have a finite amount of cash available that can stretch to a GTX 1080 but not to a replacement motherboard and a new i7 7700 or Ryzen x1700 and subsequentially  purchasing a copy of Windows 10 64 as I believe  even with a digital authentic copy it will not reinstall when a cpu and motherboard has been replaced.

I am running XP10 with 25-28 fps and XP11 with 26-29 fps on medium settings reasonable detail but not jaw dropping.I am content with my 1080 monitors and do not at this time wish to go 4k or even 1440. I have recently purchased a HP Omen laptop with a intel i5 7300Q with a GTX 1070 gpu with 2 gb of GDDR5 and although I would not run any flight sim on it it has put my AMD rig to shame. I realise now that my AMD FX8350 is a bit of a dinosaur.

Any positive comments would be thankfully received.

Thank you for your time

Mike EGGP

Since posting with no replies I have done research and this information may be of benefit to anyone else in my position with an out of date CPU. The FX8350 is like a jammed up freeway at rush hour and the GTX 1080 is like a Ferrari. It may have 350 hp under the hood (or in the trunk) but it will only be able to travel a 20 mph with all the jammed up lanes. I am booking a cruise instead.

Thank you

Edited by miked176766
New information