Gizmo CTD

MadMckMax

Hi,

Just re-installed IXEG because I suspected it was causing CTD's about 1-2 hours into a flight. Now when I try to close X-Plane it get prompted with "x-plane has stopped responding".

I'm assuming this is Gizmo related because 9/10 times when I experience a crash the Gizmo log ends with "INIT SYSTEMS".

Not a deal-breaker but it makes me worried to do more flights as this seems to be indicating instability somewhere in my installation.

See attached.

Cheers,

Max

GizmoLog.txt

Log.txt

4 hours ago, MadMckMax said:

Hi,

Just re-installed IXEG because I suspected it was causing CTD's about 1-2 hours into a flight. Now when I try to close X-Plane it get prompted with "x-plane has stopped responding".

I'm assuming this is Gizmo related because 9/10 times when I experience a crash the Gizmo log ends with "INIT SYSTEMS".

Not a deal-breaker but it makes me worried to do more flights as this seems to be indicating instability somewhere in my installation.

See attached.

Cheers,

Max

GizmoLog.txt

Log.txt

You have xEnviro installed. Your configuration is not supported.

Loaded: F:\X-Plane10/Resources/plugins/xEnviro/64/win.xpl (CSS.aero).

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, sizziano said:

Will this be added to the IXEG product description?

If it was to become a statiscally significant problem, yes.

At the moment we have a single user reporting an ambiguous event.

(The logs name the SDK sub system as the point of failure.)

If someone can provide further data to show that this is a wide spread problem it will be escalated appropriately.

If you like, I can counter post a whole pile of xEnviro screen shots containiung the IXEG product that they've been using as marketing material.

I would consider that fairly significant factual evidence that there is in fact no problem here.

Edited by Ben Russell

10 minutes ago, Ben Russell said:

If it was to become a statiscally significant problem, yes.

At the moment we have a single user reporting an ambiguous event.

(The logs name the SDK sub system as the point of failure.)

If someone can provide further data to show that this is a wide spread problem it will be escalated appropriately.

If you like, I can counter post a whole pile of xEnviro screen shots containiung the IXEG product that they've been using as marketing material.

I would consider that fairly significant factual evidence that there is in fact no problem here.

The problem Ben isn't whether xEnviro works or not with Gizmo. It obviously does for the vast majority of users. The problem I see here is your statement, "You have xEnviro installed. Your configuration is not supported." What exactly does that mean? If you have xE installed you can't receive support for Gizmo products? If so then the relevant product pages should be updated immediately.

On 10/01/2017 at 5:07 AM, MadMckMax said:

Hi,

See attached.

Cheers,

Max

GizmoLog.txt

Log.txt

Does this problem occur if you;

- Have xEnviro installed.

- Have Gizmo installed.

- Do NOT load the IXEG 733.

- Do NOT load the Saab 340A. (If applicable/owned.)

I suggest testing with the Cessna or something else that is neutral and supplied with the sim.

Gizmo is a runtime plugin. It provides low level services.

The IXEG 733 contains systems scripts which use Gizmos OpenGL functions. I did not write this code.

The Saab contains systems scripts which use Gizmos OpenGL functions. I did not write this code.

There are a few layers to investigating this problem and using the information above I hope to narrow it down a little.

It is possible that there is a conflict between xEnviro and the 733 systems scripts.

(It's already a known issue / recomendation that the IXEG contrails effects should be disabled if using xEnviro.)

It is also possible that the problem is with Gizmo itself and will still happen if the user does not load the 733.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ben Russell said:

Does this problem occur if you;

- Have xEnviro installed.

- Have Gizmo installed.

- Do NOT load the IXEG 733.

- Do NOT load the Saab 340A. (If applicable/owned.)

I suggest testing with the Cessna or something else that is neutral and supplied with the sim.

Gizmo is a runtime plugin. It provides low level services.

The IXEG 733 contains systems scripts which use Gizmos OpenGL functions. I did not write this code.

The Saab contains systems scripts which use Gizmos OpenGL functions. I did not write this code.

There are a few layers to investigating this problem and using the information above I hope to narrow it down a little.

It is possible that there is a conflict between xEnviro and the 733 systems scripts.

(It's already a known issue / recomendation that the IXEG contrails effects should be disabled if using xEnviro.)

It is also possible that the problem is with Gizmo itself and will still happen if the user does not load the 733.

I do not experience X-Plane crashing upon shutdown with ANY other aircraft apart from IXEG which is the only one that uses Gizmo in my case. That is all I can say.

If the fact that I have xEnviro installed makes me ineligible for advice and support here then I guess I won't be flying IXEG any time soon. A damn shame but if I have to sacrifice something, but then that's the way it is. Can I at least ask what the next logical step would be? Should I attempt to contact xEnviro, and see if they are willing to help? Do I need to try to diagnose something?

Thanks for the responses everyone.

On a separate note:

Capture.PNG

I do apologise for being one of those customers that you are "tired of", Ben. Just trying to help,I won't assume anything next time. Sorry for wasting your time.

All the best,

Max

Edited by MadMckMax

Hi Max,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

If I recall correct, I think we still have not seen any CTD proven caused by the 737.  Usually there are other explanations like scenery issues or a plugin conflict. But off course this *might* be a first.  And if it is, we will off course do what we can to fix it, or solve it together with the other developer if there is a plugin conflict - or Ben if it turns out to be Gizmo.

But to do this we need to narrow down the problem, and at this point, you are the key to that since you are the only one who see this apparently. And, the first thing always when you suspect something like this is to try is disabling all other plugins you have and see if it works then. Try quitting the sim in another locations, Also, try the things Ben suggested.  Our coders might have more things you can try if that doesn't give us any answers.

M

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, sizziano said:

What exactly does that mean? If you have xE installed you can't receive support for Gizmo products?

It means that If you read the Log.txt file posted you'll find this at the end:

--=={This application has crashed because of the plugin: [XPLM_PLUGIN_XPLANE]}==--

It is rather ambiguous, and states that the SDK sub system crashed. It's neither xEnviro or Gizmo at fault according to the log.

Until it can be proven without doubt that Gizmo is at fault, Ben does not want to go chasing down a rabbit hole, spending money on a product to try and chase it, etc, when it's quite clear that thus far only one of thousands of customers is reporting this, AND X-Plane is not laying blame on Gizmo (X-Plane is usually very good about laying blame in the log).

Ben made this clear in a post elsewhere to regarding this subject. Unfortunately there's a few "branches" about this topic, so that may have been hard to follow.

Just now, XPlanePort said:

He is not using xEnviro?! He does not have to chase it(the problem), but I would recommend spending $70 and enjoy the product.

Perhaps if any of us had that kind of time these days we would.

1 minute ago, XPlanePort said:

One of the best plugins for xPlane! You should try it yourself! ;)

Looks to be a nice product. Time is still the issue. :)

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Morten said:

Hi Max,

This should have been the answer for a paying costumer in the first place. Sometimes support quality is lacking a lot. We're no programmers or xplane developer and come to the forms to seek help. Please keep that in mind! No matter how annoyed you're concerning requests or support tickets, these people payed a lot of money. They deserve to be treated well and not slapped in the face. 

Bens comment was just one of the worst I've seen lately. He must have know what kind of reaction would follow (facebook groups), making it look like a xenviro vs. smp and x-aviation war. Even tough the particular product has nothing to do with smp. This answer is hurting the reputation of a outstanding developer team (IXEG) and their awesome product and continuous excellent support. No matter what the cause was, that person is still a paying costumer and deserves to be treated that way!

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, jusku said:

This should have been the answer for a paying costumer in the first place. Sometimes support quality is lacking a lot. We're no programmers or xplane developer and come to the forms to seek help. Please keep that in mind! No matter how annoyed you're concerning requests or support tickets, these people payed a lot of money. They deserve to be treated well and not slapped in the face. 

Bens comment was just one of the worst I've seen lately. He must have know what kind of reaction would follow (facebook groups), making it look like a xenviro vs. smp and x-aviation war. Even tough the particular product has nothing to do with smp. This answer is hurting the reputation of a outstanding developer team (IXEG) and their awesome product and continuous excellent support. No matter what the cause was, that person is still a paying costumer and deserves to be treated that way!

100% with you.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jusku said:

He must have know what kind of reaction would follow (facebook groups), making it look like a xenviro vs. smp and x-aviation war.

Knowing Ben as I do, I can almost assure you these thoughts did not go through his mind. I won't get into his personal life matters for now, but he's got a lot going on, and for this I'll give him a pass. He's a pretty damn busy guy outside of X-Plane world at the moment with baby #2 and a slew of other things going on.

8 minutes ago, jusku said:

This answer is hurting the reputation of a outstanding developer team (IXEG) and their awesome product and continuous excellent support.

Hopefully other responses here helped to clarify the situation.

17 minutes ago, jusku said:

I hope this doesn't spark more drama or offend anybody, but I believe Ben isn't actually part of the IXEG team.

49 minutes ago, Morten said:

Hi Max,

If I recall correct, I think we still have not seen any CTD proven caused by the 737.  Usually there are other explanations like scenery issues or a plugin conflict. But off course this *might* be a first.  And if it is, we will off course do what we can to fix it, or solve it together with the other developer if there is a plugin conflict - or Ben if it turns out to be Gizmo.

But to do this we need to narrow down the problem, and at this point, you are the key to that since you are the only one who see this apparently. And, the first thing always when you suspect something like this is to try is disabling all other plugins you have and see if it works then. Try quitting the sim in another locations, Also, try the things Ben suggested.  Our coders might have more things you can try if that doesn't give us any answers.

M

Thanks for the response Morten!

My problem has been solved, I was browsing some of the other Gizmo crash reports and I found a link for a newer version of Gizmo which I've just installed, located in this subforum:

This has seemed to solve the issues I were having. I also think it was something to do with my IXEG installation, since when I tried to reinstall (see first post) the uninstaller didn't seem to do much (all IXEG files remained unchanged even though the uninstaller thought it had done its job). Eventually I just removed all the associated files manually (including the Gizmo plugin) before reinstalling. Could also be because I've been messing around with my drives and the updates I've applied to X-Plane in recent times to restore 3rd party files I've been installing to default (skycolors etc.). I also use Norton for security if that makes a difference.

If it helps, I could reinstall IXEG again to see if this was genuinely the issue. Might be worth diagnosing. Hoping I don't run out of downloads. 

Cheers,

Max

49 minutes ago, MadMckMax said:

I hope this doesn't spark more drama or offend anybody, but I believe Ben isn't actually part of the IXEG team.

Thanks for the response Morten!

My problem has been solved, I was browsing some of the other Gizmo crash reports and I found a link for a newer version of Gizmo which I've just installed, located in this subforum:

This has seemed to solve the issues I were having. I also think it was something to do with my IXEG installation, since when I tried to reinstall (see first post) the uninstaller didn't seem to do much (all IXEG files remained unchanged even though the uninstaller thought it had done its job). Eventually I just removed all the associated files manually (including the Gizmo plugin) before reinstalling. Could also be because I've been messing around with my drives and the updates I've applied to X-Plane in recent times to restore 3rd party files I've been installing to default (skycolors etc.). I also use Norton for security if that makes a difference.

If it helps, I could reinstall IXEG again to see if this was genuinely the issue. Might be worth diagnosing. Hoping I don't run out of downloads. 

Cheers,

Max

... I can't make any sense out of this final reply.

Your original post has a Log file which indicates that you had 16.11.03 installed when you originally reported this problem.

G64:   0.000: Gizmo64 Script Engine v16.11.03 Windows
G64:   0.000:      built: Nov  3 2016, 16:46:14

The plugin linked to in the thread you show should be exactly the same thing.

...confused.

I don't know either, maybe a computer restart fixed something? It has been a couple of days since the issue started. I haven't made any other major changes apart from turning off vorticies like you suggested, which has improved the look of xEnviro drastically... whatever issue I was having it's fixed. Most likely something system related.