[FAQ]Solution to freeze and stutter using FMC

sthenion

Check this stutters tonight. Looks they appear only with IXEG FMC and ND model - in cold'n'dark it not appear for me, then systems are on, but IRS not aligned and no flightpath on ND - it not appear. It appears with flightpath on ND (map mode), rises then arcft begin moving, rises more then set map on both ND's, rises more then both ND's set to diff map mode range, decreases then set ND's to ILS mode, and next decreases then you are in air with ND in ILS mode. After FMS reset after land it not notice. 

That was my check. 

I mean this stutters seen on dataref graph, but in X-plane it not strong for me for dissapoint. Without this topic i wouldn't know it most likely. )))

• 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere that with some performance and FPS stutter problems, one should delete the preferences. I'm also experiencing micro stutters every 2 or 3 seconds so I deleted the binary pref and restarted X-plane. Now I'm not sure if that helped to temporarily solve my problem of micro stutters because I didn't have any immediately after taxiing and taking off from EGKK. It could also have something to do with different weather conditions with different levels of light etc that causes them, I don't know. Anyway I then shut down my X-plane and pc, thinking I had solved my problem completely but unfortunately the next day I again had the micro stutters. So far I didn't delete the binary pref again to verify if it had something to do with that. Perhaps someone else here with the same problem can try what I did and give me feedback. Thx

I updated to 10.50 rc3 beta and the first time I loaded X-plane I (started on the runway 8R of London Gatwick), I had about 27FPS and after taking off it continued with satisfactory FPS (over 25) but I experienced micro stutters again! I exited and loaded X-plane a second time directly after my first attempt. Strangely enough I then only had about max 5 FPS. I immediately exited and loaded X-plane again for the third time and this time enjoyed about 40 FPS which only sunk to about 35 after take off and there were no micro stutters (every 2 to 3 secs).Only now and again for 1 sec or less when weather loads. These results show (at least in my opinion) that I hardly think the IXEG 737-300 is to blame for the micro stutters. What puzzles me are the different results of FPS after each loading and that only after the third loading, things seemed to be fine. Anyone know?

Btw, my system is a i7 2700K, 660 ti GPU and 16 GB Ram, so it's not the latest and best hardware for X-plane but good enough for my needs, at least for the time being..:)

• 1 month later...

After a few months off of x-plane Ive now updated to 10.5 and wanted to get back into the 737 Classic. In the beginning I had unacceptable stutters every 2-3 seconds, but those were finally solved with the adaptive half refresh rate trick. Unfortunately the stutter now is back, but where it used to be consistently every 2-3 seconds on the ground and in the air they are now farther apart, maybe every 5-7 seconds.They are not very evident on the ground while taxing or during take off and landing, but are very evident in the air at lower altitudes. I also checked some of my other payware such as the 767 and MD80 and they still fly very smooth, no stutters. Its a beautiful aircraft that I want to be my 'go to' commercial airliner, but I'm obsessive about consistent stutters and hiccups, so with the other very good big jets available, it will go back into the hangar. Is there any more work being done to find and correct the root cause? Thanks

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, sthenion said:

After a few months off of x-plane Ive now updated to 10.5 and wanted to get back into the 737 Classic. In the beginning I had unacceptable stutters every 2-3 seconds, but those were finally solved with the adaptive half refresh rate trick. Unfortunately the stutter now is back, but where it used to be consistently every 2-3 seconds on the ground and in the air they are now farther apart, maybe every 5-7 seconds.They are not very evident on the ground while taxing or during take off and landing, but are very evident in the air at lower altitudes. I also checked some of my other payware such as the 767 and MD80 and they still fly very smooth, no stutters. Its a beautiful aircraft that I want to be my 'go to' commercial airliner, but I'm obsessive about consistent stutters and hiccups, so with the other very good big jets available, it will go back into the hangar. Is there any more work being done to find and correct the root cause? Thanks

I'm going to allow tweaking of the Lua Garbage Collection allowing you to force it to run every frame.

I might add a more interesting GUI to allow full control of the Lua GC params which will allow control of frequency and aggression of the GC.

Worst case: Forcing the GC to run every frame will give you lower over-all but consistently smooth frames.

Work continues on the root cause... this will allow immediate relief.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

I believe I have found a temporary fix for my stutters. As someone discovered in v10.4, setting the vsync to adaptive half refresh fixed the stutters for some of us. I don't know if it has anything to do with v10.5, but ever since I updated to 10.5 the stutters came back and worse than ever. This is a deal breaker for me and I will not fly this plane with this severe of a stutter. I apologize in advance if this is something I should not have done, but in my desire to return to flying this great aircraft I have stumbled on to what may be the key...at least for my system. I have discovered that the cockpit_reflection file could be the key. I wont say what I did unless given permission, but I made a couple of very simple changes and now the plane flies buttery smooth. The only negative effect that I have seen since making this change is that I no longer get airport, vor, waypoint displays etc on the map display. I am fine with that as I can still navigate via VOR and ILS, while enjoying the beautiful cockpit and completely smooth flight. Can someone please comment on the possibility of an update or patch that might fix this issue with a change of the reflection file that might cure the stutters with no other negative effects?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, sthenion said:

I believe I have found a temporary fix for my stutters. As someone discovered in v10.4, setting the vsync to adaptive half refresh fixed the stutters for some of us. I don't know if it has anything to do with v10.5, but ever since I updated to 10.5 the stutters came back and worse than ever. This is a deal breaker for me and I will not fly this plane with this severe of a stutter. I apologize in advance if this is something I should not have done, but in my desire to return to flying this great aircraft I have stumbled on to what may be the key...at least for my system. I have discovered that the cockpit_reflection file could be the key. I wont say what I did unless given permission, but I made a couple of very simple changes and now the plane flies buttery smooth. The only negative effect that I have seen since making this change is that I no longer get airport, vor, waypoint displays etc on the map display. I am fine with that as I can still navigate via VOR and ILS, while enjoying the beautiful cockpit and completely smooth flight. Can someone please comment on the possibility of an update or patch that might fix this issue with a change of the reflection file that might cure the stutters with no other negative effects?

Hi sthenion,

why don´t you send me a PM with the changes you made, so we can check them out from our side - and then either incorporate a change for everyone, or post this as a choice for advanced users to make.

Thanks, Jan

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2016 at 6:14 PM, sthenion said:

Hi. What is likely going in is that by removing the reflection texture file, you are causing Gizmo to partially soft-crash, thus preventing an unknown amount of code to be executed and likely also reducing memory use, which in turn gives the Lua garbage collector less work.

• 1 month later...

One problem that comes up again and again is the seeming freezing or locking of the computer when adding a modification to the route in the FMC, like a direct-to on the LEGS page. Here is the solution. It is unlikely that we can fix this on our end, so I will pin this info.

What: When modding the ACTIVE route in the FMC, the framerate goes down and the computer does not respond fast, anymore.

Why: When the database for the navaids and fixes gets accessed, Windows Defender, Avast, and other anti-virus programs check the in- and out traffic for viruses. This slows the computer down a lot.

Solution: Create an exclusion in your antivirus program, excluding the X-Plane folder from instant checking.

Edited by Morten
  • Upvote 2

• Litjan pinned this topic

I found the sollution in all xplane aircrafts refering freezes and stutters. You need to use any program that constantly use your hard drive, but not too much.

Take a big ,several gbs, file and start to download it, but make limitations of download speed. This file must be on the same hard drive, where xplane is.

No stutters, while working whith fms or changes views.

The same works whis prepare3d.

32 minutes ago, stringden said:

I found the sollution in all xplane aircrafts refering freezes and stutters. You need to use any program that constantly use your hard drive, but not too much.

Take a big ,several gbs, file and start to download it, but make limitations of download speed. This file must be on the same hard drive, where xplane is.

No stutters, while working whith fms or changes views.

The same works whis prepare3d.

... go into your power management settings and turn off "hard drives spin down when idle".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So far so good,thanks for the  advice.Xplane excluded from the anti virus.

an other issue I have, cannot resolve it,I cannot get ATC service for my filed flight plan,I have entered Departure airport and destination airport with a valid flight plan in the correct format no sid or a star but it does not file,entered correct frenquencies ,not ATC service for my flight,I only get the altimeter setting that all.

Am doing it properly??

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, marino said:

So far so good,thanks for the  advice.Xplane excluded from the anti virus.

an other issue I have, cannot resolve it,I cannot get ATC service for my filed flight plan,I have entered Departure airport and destination airport with a valid flight plan in the correct format no sid or a star but it does not file,entered correct frenquencies ,not ATC service for my flight,I only get the altimeter setting that all.

Am doing it properly??

Many thanks.

This is not a problem with the IXEG 737 but with X-Plane in general. We don´t provide ATC service - you have to access X-Plane´s ATC service for that. A good place to aks for help would be the general section of X-Pilot.com. http://forums.x-pilot.com/forums/forum/11-general-discussion/

Jan

Edited by Litjan

• Litjan unpinned this topic