Crazy Drop of FPS on SMP 4.0.1

itsmiguelmaza

I gotta say that I'm so happy with the new update of SMP. It actually increase my FPS, and I have NONE crash at all. I had so many crashes with SMP 3.

It's all cool in standard default settings. But since I'm a Airliner, I decided to increase the clouds coverage. It's still working fine, I've got probably a drop of 3-5 frames when really cloudy. But the problem is that when I move around, or if I change view, or if I try to look at the MCDU, or move the view. It gets so slow, and the frames drops to 3 to 5 frames per second, and after a few seconds back to normal which it'd be around 30-40fps, but if I try to change the aircraft it just drops to less than 1fps that I have to quit X-Plane 10 and start over.

Usually with defaults settings, the area of memory and performance it says I have about 10-50mbs Ram Free, and when I apply a way bigger clouds coverage it says I have now 1200-2000mbs Ram free.

I'm Running X-Plane 10.51, Mac El Capitan, 16gb ram, and 1gb video card. SMP usually says I have about 50mb free of Video, it never changes, not even in photoreal scenery.

Glad y'all are enjoying it overall!

The way Apple reports video memory is weird; it's not a terribly useful measurement really. I will however say that 1GB of onboard VRAM isn't much by today's standards, so it doesn't surprise me that you start running into performance challenges when turning up the cloud draw area on this system. 1GB is the bare minimum system requirement for X-Plane 10, without add-ons in the mix.

Perhaps there are other trade-offs you can make for performance without compromising cloud draw area, such as your rendering settings, extended DSF's, or your choice of aircraft.

12 minutes ago, sundog said:

Glad y'all are enjoying it overall!

The way Apple reports video memory is weird; it's not a terribly useful measurement really. I will however say that 1GB of onboard VRAM isn't much by today's standards, so it doesn't surprise me that you start running into performance challenges when turning up the cloud draw area on this system. 1GB is the bare minimum system requirement for X-Plane 10, without add-ons in the mix.

Perhaps there are other trade-offs you can make for performance without compromising cloud draw area, such as your rendering settings, extended DSF's, or your choice of aircraft.

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware that 1gb of memory is the bare minimum. To be honest, I'm running in High Res Textures, Compressed Textures activated and I have HDR on too. Now most of the object and roads and cars, are in the minimum cos I don't really mind about those much at the moment. I'm hoping to upgrade system in the next few months.

I do use aircraft that will consume a lot of resources like the 737 Classic from IXEG and the A320 and A330 from JarDesign. But even with those I normally get around 30-40 FPS in my system and in complex airports, now when it's an airport that doesn't really consume much resources FPS can be up to 50-60fps.

But at least finally I can have some clouds in my skies, cos if I was using the normal x-plane clouds not a hope haha.. I'd probably get around 12fps haha.. 

Now SMP 4 runs actually way better than SMP 3, no crashes at all. Before I'd get lots of crashes.. 

Now my only problem is when I increase the clouds coverage over 40k. But just found strange that it'd run smoothly with 30fps, and then there'd be some moments when changing the view it gets so slow. 

If not a bug then it might just be my Video Card, so I'll have to adjust my SMP settings so they run smoothly in my system.

Hi,

with so limited VRAM of 1GB and all your addon setup, the graphic card has to decide which textures to keep in VRAM and which to transfer to RAM temporarily . Once you change your view, the textures actually stored in RAM needs to be transfered into VRAM, and this eats a lot of fps for a short moment, especially if there are no textures available to move to RAM, as all are in use.

50mb free VRAM is totally normal, as the graphic cards needs some space to juggle with textures. If you use something like GPUZ, then you can see that if the VRAM hits the limit, it will instantly drop some content to free a minimum of VRAM space.

You will have loaded a lot more then 1GB of textures (inclusive processing while rendering - Anti aliasing and others), but till some point you are lucky, that only 1GB are in use at the same time. If this is no longer the case, and more then 1GB is needed, fps drops rapidly.

Best,

Michael

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, coldy77 said:

Hi,

with so limited VRAM of 1GB and all your addon setup, the graphic card has to decide which textures to keep in VRAM and which to transfer to RAM temporarily . Once you change your view, the textures actually stored in RAM needs to be transfered into VRAM, and this eats a lot of fps for a short moment, especially if there are no textures available to move to RAM, as all are in use.

50mb free VRAM is totally normal, as the graphic cards needs some space to juggle with textures. If you use something like GPUZ, then you can see that if the VRAM hits the limit, it will instantly drop some content to free a minimum of VRAM space.

You will have loaded a lot more then 1GB of textures (inclusive processing while rendering - Anti aliasing and others), but till some point you are lucky, that only 1GB are in use at the same time. If this is no longer the case, and more then 1GB is needed, fps drops rapidly.

Best,

Michael

Thanks very much Michael. This was very interesting to know. I'm getting a new system soon. In the meantime will keep the Settings Low.

I have 8gb VRAM (GTX 1070) and I also have performance problems when passing clouds. Setting SMP is low.

I have 8 gigabytes VRAM and I also have performance problems when passing clouds.

I have 8 gigabytes VRAM and I also have performance problems when passing clouds.