SkyMaxx Pro 4 on XP11 - no clouds, just blocky matrices

shreddersa

I have just downloaded Skymaxx Pro 4 and noted that it produces little blocks and one can see the actual clouds through those. Very weird. I did notice the same effect occasionally in 3.3 on XP11, then it sort of faded in and out over say 10 seconds. Now its permanent. The screenshot is over Seattle on what is meant to be a cloudy day.

The next picture shows more of the effect but now also with more cloud visible...

HELP!!!

Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 20.24.22.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 20.44.59.png

Edited by shreddersa
Added picture

9 minutes ago, sundog said:

I'm not an expert on Mac models, but does this sound like your system?

http://hothardware.com/news/apple-quietly-recalls-2013-mac-pros-due-to-defective-amd-firepro-gpus

Dont think so Frank. I bought mine in 2014.

This is a pic over the San Francisco area with lots of ground scenery and still looks ok...

Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 21.56.06.png

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've actually been looking into this more lately. On a Mac I've been able to reproduce something like this if I write code that changes the currently active texture in OpenGL without telling X-Plane about it, or without putting it back to what it was. Our next release will have additional protection to make sure SMP cannot do this, but interactions with other plugins or add-ons could also cause this sort of thing.

I was sometimes getting a semi-transparent view of the vertical stationary prop (i.e the prop as it looks from the cockpit before one starts the engine) while flying, as the blocky clouds and visibility altered.  As the weather cleared, this anomaly cleared with it.  I had not seen this before 4.01, I'm pretty sure - I mean the original v4 did not do this - I repeat, I don't remember it doing this, but maybe I'm mistaken.  Do you have a clue as to what sort of other plugins could cause this? 

Edited by diamonddriller

Oh dear......  I can switch to using HDR (XP-10, just to remind you), and the blockiness goes.  I've never had to bother to use HDR before with SkyMaxx Pro, and I've been a customer since v2.0.  I've never been particularly bothered to get the extra eye candy of HDR, and it does put a bit more strain on the system - which heats up iMacs' GPUs a bit more!  

I'll continue to experiment, but maybe the coming v4.1 will somehow cure this.