SMP4 & X-Plane 11: clouds visible beyond fog

pippero1974

Hi, I just bought and installed Skymaxx Pro 4 + Real Weather Connector 1.1 on X-Plane 11 beta 2.

Basically everything is working, except for the following artifacts I noticed (see attached pictures).

In the first picture you can notice clouds drawn beyond what should be the visibility limit imposed by current weather conditions (real METAR gave 2000 meters of ground visibility when the flight was conducted and X-Plane was set to retrieve real weather conditions).

The second picture shows random artifacts in form of dark strips floating in the sky. Not sure if this is an issue with SMP4 or if it's a flaw in X-Plane rendering engine.

Best regards, Filippo

X-System 12_18_2016 12_13_50 PM.png

X-System 12_18_2016 12_28_44 PM.png

I don't think that "strip" is us; we don't render the sky, only the clouds.

We've roughly tuned SMP4 to match X-Plane 11's visibility effects in pb2, but we believe this is going to be a moving target through the XP11 beta cycle. Once XP11 goes final, we'll see if we need to perfect that or not.

We do intentionally draw clouds farther than the reported visibility, because the visibility at altitude is usually much higher than the visibility at the ground where it's reported.

Hi and thanks for the blazing fast reply!

Yes I had a doubt about who exactly could be the "culprit" of the "strips". To be sure, I submitted this finding both here and in the X-Plane bug tracker.

With respect to the other picture, OK, I'll be waiting for an overall tuning of the sim and SMP4. Hope things will get better, of course it's not a show stopper actually, but it's sort of annoying to me, it hurts realism quite a bit.

Keep up the good work!