Low oil temp on descent

chadryan

I presume oil temp is so low because if you look at your TAT and OAT you are at high altitude and dozens degree below zero. Reality is no matter you set the engines to idle at that altitude the oil temp should not drop that fast that far.

I think oil temp is not ixeg custom yet, but data is coming from xplane. if i am not wrong, refinements are coming for this on next update.

Edited by mmerelles
misspelling

4 hours ago, mmerelles said:

I presume oil temp is so low because if you look at your TAT and OAT you are at high altitude and dozens degree below zero. Reality is no matter you set the engines to idle at that altitude the oil temp should not drop that fast that far.

I think oil temp is not ixeg custom yet, but data is coming from xplane. if i am not wrong, refinements are coming for this on next update.

mmerelles is correct - but I am not sure if we will update the oil temp in 1.1 - it is really not a showstopper, but it requires a LOT of research and coding to get right (across all ambient temperatures, airspeeds and engine states)...

In a way I feel that providing an accurate engine model is really on X-Plane´s table, not so much on ours. The current bypass engine modelling of X-Plane is rudimentary at best and we had to make quite an intricate coding cast to get N1´s and thrust correct. I will approach Austin in the future (once the dust settled around 11.0) and may work with him to get a good and customizable bypass-engine per default, and that should then yield realistic oil pressure and temperature values as well.

Jan

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2016 at 1:29 AM, Litjan said:

In a way I feel that providing an accurate engine model is really on X-Plane´s table, not so much on ours. The current bypass engine modelling of X-Plane is rudimentary at best and we had to make quite an intricate coding cast to get N1´s and thrust correct. I will approach Austin in the future (once the dust settled around 11.0) and may work with him to get a good and customizable bypass-engine per default, and that should then yield realistic oil pressure and temperature values as well.

Jan

Jan,

I post this opinion here only because you are in a much _bigger_ position to influence Austin than humble little me.   But I things like this are an area where Laminar should work with the community to develop open engine models through community effort.  Laminar only has so much time on their hands.   And there are no doubt a lot of people who would love to contribute to such a product.   Open sourcing such efforts is really the appropriate modern way of improving such details within a platform in my opinion.

Cheers,

Justin

• Upvote 1