SkyMaxx Pro on Mac Sierra - zero RAM available for video error

mfd529

I'm reaching out to other Mac Sierra users with SkyMaxx Pro 3.x No matter what preset rendering settings I try to use on X-Plane 10.5.1rc, SkyMaxx Pro claims have have zero video RAM available. I am using the beta Gizmo plugin, so at least I can use the product. I have a 2GB video card and using 1920x1080 along with the very lowest XP rendering settings I'm constantly getting SMP warning that I have zero video RAM available. Does anyone know if there is an official known issue list published? This would sure save hours of searching forums looking for answers. Maybe I missed finding the minimum hardware/OS requirements too. Thanks to anyone out in the forum that has a few tips.

Video-Free.png

1 hour ago, sundog said:

MacOS actually deals with low VRAM surprisingly well. If your performance seems OK, just hit the "never show this again" button on the dialog that warns you about running out of VRAM, and carry on.

Thanks Sundog. The point I was hoping to make to SkyMaxx Pro staff, was that the feature they use to detect the amount of video ram available seems broken, at least for me. I guess the bigger questions is, now that version 4 is coming out, does it work in this next version, I assume there is no plan to fix the current version, or will I need to spend some more money and take a gamble that it's still broken? ;-) It would really be nice to know for sure. Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't notice this happening on our own Sierra system, but I'll double check. It's either something specific to your hardware and OS, or you really are out of VRAM.

**Update***

Just tested the current SMP4 build on a recent iMac running Sierra with a ATI video card, and the VRAM measurement does seem to be working fine. We'll keep an eye out for this during beta testing, however.

Edited by sundog

Sundog: can you confirm that what I am seeing is real on the current version of SkyMaxx Pro 3, is that easy to check? I am running on the MacPro 2013 16GB RAM with the Dual AMD FirePro 300 2GB card. No matter what XP rendering preset I use, from minimum to max setting, it's always 0MB available. Thank you

18 hours ago, okernel said:

Not sure if this will help you, but as my hardware configuration is similar to yours, I have attached my rendering settings.  I am not having your problem.

Settings.jpg

Sundog: can you confirm that what I am seeing is real on the current version of SkyMaxx Pro 3, is that easy to check? I am running on the MacPro 2013 16GB RAM with the Dual AMD FirePro 300 2GB card. No matter what XP rendering preset I use, from minimum to max setting, it's always 0MB available. Thank you

Honestly, it's more about a lot for nothing. If you're happy with how X-Plane is running with SkyMaxx then the point of this is negated. It's more a warning than a necessity. It's obvious there's some conflict in your hardware, but it's not worth pursuing further.

3 hours ago, Cameron said:

Honestly, it's more about a lot for nothing. If you're happy with how X-Plane is running with SkyMaxx then the point of this is negated. It's more a warning than a necessity. It's obvious there's some conflict in your hardware, but it's not worth pursuing further.

Honestly what a poor answer from customer support. Are you telling me "too bad move on?" It's all my hardware's fault?  I would have more respect from a company that told me they don't know what is wrong and they will look into this. Do I buy the update, at this rate I doubt this very much. Maybe this should be a warning for all customers. I was only looking for a responsible answer, that's all. Somewhere I even remember reading that Skymaxx Pro reports RAM used much more accurately that XP itself. I wish I could find that claim, but, whatever. 

16 minutes ago, mfd529 said:

Honestly what a poor answer from customer support. Are you telling me "too bad move on?" It's all my hardware's fault?  I would have more respect from a company that told me they don't know what is wrong and they will look into this. Do I buy the update, at this rate I doubt this very much. Maybe this should be a warning for all customers. I was only looking for a responsible answer, that's all. Somewhere I even remember reading that Skymaxx Pro reports RAM used much more accurately that XP itself. I wish I could find that claim, but, whatever. 

Clearly you missed this politely worded reply from Frank which is basically exactly what you wish for.;

A respectful timely answer that they're not sure what's going on, that they HAVE investigated it and that they WILL CONTINUE to monitor it.

7 hours ago, sundog said:

I didn't notice this happening on our own Sierra system, but I'll double check. It's either something specific to your hardware and OS, or you really are out of VRAM.

**Update***

Just tested the current SMP4 build on a recent iMac running Sierra with a ATI video card, and the VRAM measurement does seem to be working fine. We'll keep an eye out for this during beta testing, however.

24 minutes ago, mfd529 said:

Sorry but my response I thought was linked with Cameron's reply to me. I totally appreciate Sundog's response to date. 

So basically facts and actual customer service has no bearing on the issue at hand. You just want to keep complaining?

You got an answer. A very specific one. From the only person who can solve the issue.

Your response is to post a screenshot of your system settings asking if your screenshot is "real".

Exactly what do you expect us to do?

You're ignoring answers and continuing to push for an answer that you want to hear.

9 hours ago, mfd529 said:

Are you telling me "too bad move on?" It's all my hardware's fault?

No, I'm telling you we added this "feature" to facilitate people from running their X-Plane settings insanely high compared to what their hardware could handle, thus they would post in here asking "why are my FPS crap?". Other than that, it's relatively useless if you're happy with how X-Plane is running. You're really not missing out on anything in terms of experiencing the product. It's a rabbit hole likely not worth continually pursuing for you.

We don't advertise this or list it as a selling point anywhere. More of a convenience than anything.