No EXEC Light on FMS

Maestaru

I am going through the YouTube tutorials with Captain Jan Vogel and noticed that my FMS is not functioning the same as his.  On page 6 of the manual (and @ 4:07 mins on YouTube) Jan's FMS is lit; mine is not.  As the video progresses, I enter all the data exactly as Jan does, but the EXEC never lights.  Then at 6:36 mins Jan clicks on EXEC (lit) and says that this step will initialize the FMS to track fuel.  That does not happen for me.

I did notice at the beginning of the video that Jan had a previous flight loaded (KLAX to KSAN).  I am not sure but is that making the difference here?

Appreciate some guidance on how to EXECute my FMS, with light on.

Jan, if you follow these threads, do you interact with newbies?  I love your teaching style and the video end-product.

Thanks,

M

No EXEC light on FMS.JPG

Edited by Maestaru
typo

As per your screen capture you are on the PERFORMANCE page, any data entered there will not light up the EXEC button unless you have entered a route and made it ACTIVE already!!

It seems you did not entered a route yet, or you entered it but not made active yet!

Please let me know what video you are following up, i will specify you mm:ss where you should have activated but seems missed it before reaching PERF DATA page.

2 hours ago, Maestaru said:

I am following Jan's "Tutorial 1: Basic FMS and Navigation", beginning 4:07 mins in.  There is no mention about loading routes.  I tested what you said in your second post, and it works.  But the video is a stand-alone tutorial.

It does not light as there is no flight plan in your fmc. This is like the real fmc as well. Jan recorded the tutorial video before the aircraft was released and this change was one of the last minute changes that were added. 

Thanks Poodster (and Mmerelles). 

So sequence is FP first, then load fuel estimates and other general details.  Makes sense... 

The confusing part was: Jan is a very good speaker/ teacher and meticulous in his presentation, and I am the latter when following instruction. 

M

Hi Maestaru and thanks for the kind words!

The other guys (absolute IXEG experts!) beat me to the answer, this was something we changed between video capture and release.

I do follow these threads and answer whenever I get a chance - I can´t teach how to fly an airplane in here, but if there is an advanced question I am always happy to help! :)

Happy flying, Jan

I have pretty-much figured out the FMS; it is very logical and, wow, does it make flying an excellent experience!  Thank you all for your help.

On a different note, does the Alternate Airport feature work?  I am referring to: FMS/ALT DEST, "Request Nearest Airports" where no alternate airports appear in the list.  Am I doing something wrong here?  See my screenshot. 

Thanks,

M

Alternate Airports.JPG

4 hours ago, Maestaru said:

I have pretty-much figured out the FMS; it is very logical and, wow, does it make flying an excellent experience!  Thank you all for your help.

On a different note, does the Alternate Airport feature work?  I am referring to: FMS/ALT DEST, "Request Nearest Airports" where no alternate airports appear in the list.  Am I doing something wrong here?  See my screenshot. 

Thanks,

M

Alternate Airports.JPG

Hi, no, sorry, it does not work - yet. Cheers, Jan

• 3 weeks later...

Hello folks.  I have a question regarding the fuel capacity of the 737-300.  The fuel planner provides a maximum fuel estimate based on 11.4 tonnes which gives an approximate range of 2000 nm.  This is in line with spec sheets I have (e.g. "range of 2,270 nm fully loaded").  However, in the IXEG version, the tank capacity is 16 tonnes (centre = 6800 KG and 4530 KG x 2 for the main tanks).  Why is there a difference?  Is this tied to the ZFW and the GW?

16 tonne capacity.JPG

Edited by Maestaru
file upload

The physical tank capacity of about 35.000 lbs is correct.  The flight planner however has a max trip length limit of 2000 nm.  In real the theoretical  limit is about 2800 nm.  But offcourse everything depends on your landing weight (ZFW+reserves), wind, cost index, etc.

Here is a table that goes to 2800 nm

FPL IXEG.jpg

Edited by Morten
  • Upvote 4