RWC is not working atm, METAR download fails.

frontendrob

Egad, I thought this was just a temporary server problem - but NOAA/NWS really did shut down their METAR service for good.

I've noticed X-Plane's built-in real weather system isn't successfully downloading updates either (at least for me,) so this isn't just affecting RWC. I'm sure there are plenty of real-world systems that depend on this data as well, which is a little bit terrifying.

We're working on it... for now, you're best off keeping RWC in "automatic" mode so it can at least use the last data X-Plane itself successfully downloaded.

Edited by sundog

Just now, woodus said:

on the forums i saw this as a solution... no idea about how reliable this is. This is for NOAA Plugin, but maybe it is appliable for your product as well.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/72313-noaa-weather-plugin/&page=78#comment-1052537

I tried this, but I can't find the place where the URL is stored in SMP / RWC. Even decompiled the plug-in with no success yet :)

Just now, sundog said:

Yes, we're working on a patch. There's really no way to patch it yourself - just wait for us to release it please. Meanwhile keep RWC on "automatic" mode for now.

Thanks Frank, thats good to hear. Don't worry there's worse things than users being anxious to getting back to using your products ;)

"Automatic" doesn't do for users with custom setups...

Further to this, I would like to add:

1) Austin confirmed adding the new servers to the next 10.50 update;

2) Starting January 2017, all METAR ( WMO - GTS ) dissemination will be text and xml based;

3) Starting January 2019, only xml based dissemination will be available ( WMO - GTS ).

So, weather injector developers should start playing with the future syntax and query system, described at one of the links I posted above :-)

Well,

I work at the Portuguese MetOffice ( @ LPPT ) who is the Portuguese member of WMO / ICAO for Aviation Weather.

The info is based on the official WMO GTS circuits ( and other ) we use here for our mission. I do not know if NOAA will make available the xml version in the future, but their "Best Practices" document in the following link gives some hints:

https://www.aviationweather.gov/dataserver/bestpractices

Until 2019 both formats will co-exist. From there on, xml only.

Anyway, this info pertains to the GTS ( WMO ) and I guess NOAA just makes it available to the public by "courtesy".

I don't know what NOAA's plans are for this particular service.

I'll try to find more and post here next week.

Edited by jcomm
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Andyphone said:

I see an update is available, so I suppose the problem is fixed? Also will really NOAA stop providing metar data?

Thanks

Ciao

Yes, that's exactly what this update is for. It gets METAR information in "always" mode from a different server, since NOAA shut down the one we (and X-Plane) had been using before.

NOAA/NWS isn't going to stop providing METAR data, but they reserve the right to change the way in which they provide it, which is what happened.

• Upvote 1