Condition Levers

brettnicholls

Hi, new to this forum as I have only just installed the Saab 340A. Have been looking through the forum on how to keep the CL working when plane is re loaded. I saw where you had said it would be fixed in a later update. I take that as after v 1.3. This is a great plane but I noticed that my other Xplane keyboard bindings dont work with the Saab, eg trim and landing gear. If its in part of the documentation that I have not read the please forgive, I will find this in due coarse. As I am fairly new to Xplane this is the second aircraft I have bought following from the Carenado Beech 1900D. I was a little surprised to find no lighting shadowing inside the cockpit. I wonder if this will be addressed in an update. My graphics card is a EVGA GTX 970 SSC so if its a driver thing please let me know.  Regards Brett

For now, the Condition Levers need to be re-assigned each time you load the aircraft.  X-Plane limitation that we THINK we can get around in the update.

As for your keyboard bindings, you will need to set those up in your "commands" tab in X-Plane.  

There IS lighting, however, you need to have HDR enabled in your render settings.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2016 at 9:31 PM, Goran_M said:

For now, the Condition Levers need to be re-assigned each time you load the aircraft.  X-Plane limitation that we THINK we can get around in the update.

If you are able to get around the condition levers having to be re-assigned, will you be using the 'mixture' assignment for joysticks?  It's basically un-used right now for the Saab.  In fact, sometimes when I load the aircraft with the mixture in the 'off' or fully down position, the engines wont start.  I have to restart the aircraft with the mixture assignment slightly up.  

21 minutes ago, mmerelles said:

TIP

you can keep the CL assigned, just install xjoymap plugin and assign the condition levers to separe axis levers if you have enough or both shared to move them simultaneously via one single axis lever. It will work each time you restart xplane/saab.

Thanks for the tip.  I'm not sure I want to add ANOTHER plug-in (on top of my many other plug-ins) just for one axis lever though.

5 minutes ago, Tiger6k said:

Thanks for the tip.  I'm not sure I want to add ANOTHER plug-in (on top of my many other plug-ins) just for one axis lever though.

xjoymap is just an assignment plugin. It may assign axis, buttons, etc, on a per aircraft basis while the aircraft loads. It will not hurt any fps which is always my main concern when selecting fancy plugins that runs during the simulation.

EDIT: do you run flywithlua as of now? you can also put a small lua script that runs only when the aircraft loads and pre-assign the CL as well.

Edited by mmerelles
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tiger6k said:

If you are able to get around the condition levers having to be re-assigned, will you be using the 'mixture' assignment for joysticks?  It's basically un-used right now for the Saab.  In fact, sometimes when I load the aircraft with the mixture in the 'off' or fully down position, the engines wont start.  I have to restart the aircraft with the mixture assignment slightly up.  

No, we will not be using the "mixture" axes.  We will most likely be using the "prop" axes, as that would correlate more directly to the function of the Condition Levers.  I believe the mixture "issue" is a known bug and has been fixed for the next update.

• 1 year later...
On 8/12/2016 at 8:02 PM, JGregory said:

I believe the mixture "issue" is a known bug and has been fixed for the next update.

Hi, not sure we're talking about exactly the same thing here, but might be the mixture issue sneaked somehow back into version 1.5 - or maybe the fix can hit problems in specific circumstances; I can't tell.

Here's what I experience:

The Saab apparently needs mixture set to something substantial (in the vicinity of 1.0 or slightly below) for establishing a fuel flow. Today I was repeatedly not able to start the engines (which I could do all the previous days without problem...), and I was running out of ideas when I finally enabled the display for some data refs, mixture being one of them. I have one axis assigned to mixture, and when dealing with the Saab, I always had my hardware in the cutoff position. So far this never did any harm to the Saab, as apparently the plugin code at some place overrides mixture values and sets them to 1.0.

With the data display activated, I could see the mixture value oscillating between 1.0 and some very low values, around 0.1 - apparently, my hardware controller got a bit noisy and thus interfered with what the Saab's code tried to do during engine start. The result is quite interesting - when starting the engine, ITT kicks in and rises up to 530° - but as soon as the starter cuts off, the temperature gradually decreases, and the engine rpm spools down slowly.

For me the simple and easy fix is to keep my hardware mixture controller set to full (rich) - apparently there's less noise that end of the controller, and even if so, cutting off the engines using the condition levers works like a charm even with mixture set to 1.0.

I don't know if it's possible to completely ignore mixture for establishing fuel flow (it's a turboprop after all where mixture controls don't exist - I'm aware some models use the mixture axis as condition lever, particularly when they have separate prop controls), but of course I have no clue whether X-Plane permits this or if mixture generally controls fuel flow, whatever engine type the aircraft is equipped with... would be convenient though to eliminate the mixture axis as a potential source of problems for the Saab to operate correctly...

1 hour ago, daemotron said:

Hi, not sure we're talking about exactly the same thing here, but might be the mixture issue sneaked somehow back into version 1.5 - or maybe the fix can hit problems in specific circumstances; I can't tell.

Here's what I experience:

The Saab apparently needs mixture set to something substantial (in the vicinity of 1.0 or slightly below) for establishing a fuel flow. Today I was repeatedly not able to start the engines (which I could do all the previous days without problem...), and I was running out of ideas when I finally enabled the display for some data refs, mixture being one of them. I have one axis assigned to mixture, and when dealing with the Saab, I always had my hardware in the cutoff position. So far this never did any harm to the Saab, as apparently the plugin code at some place overrides mixture values and sets them to 1.0.

With the data display activated, I could see the mixture value oscillating between 1.0 and some very low values, around 0.1 - apparently, my hardware controller got a bit noisy and thus interfered with what the Saab's code tried to do during engine start. The result is quite interesting - when starting the engine, ITT kicks in and rises up to 530° - but as soon as the starter cuts off, the temperature gradually decreases, and the engine rpm spools down slowly.

For me the simple and easy fix is to keep my hardware mixture controller set to full (rich) - apparently there's less noise that end of the controller, and even if so, cutting off the engines using the condition levers works like a charm even with mixture set to 1.0.

I don't know if it's possible to completely ignore mixture for establishing fuel flow (it's a turboprop after all where mixture controls don't exist - I'm aware some models use the mixture axis as condition lever, particularly when they have separate prop controls), but of course I have no clue whether X-Plane permits this or if mixture generally controls fuel flow, whatever engine type the aircraft is equipped with... would be convenient though to eliminate the mixture axis as a potential source of problems for the Saab to operate correctly...

We DO NOT "override" the X-Plane mixture, but we do control it.  As you stated, the mixture is usually not an issue in a turboprop, so if you are using hardware assigned to mixture, especially if it is "noisy", that would definitely be an issue that YOU will need to control at this time.  The parameters that control the mixture ratio in the Saab can be found in this post.  All systems, including how mixture is handled, will be addressed for Saab v2.

Edited by JGregory

2 hours ago, daemotron said:

xplane supports per aircraft profiles.

make sure you created a saab profile and do not assign any lever to mixture under it. Or do i am missing something here? This should prevent your issue entirely.