HDR settings - 2xSSAA + FXAA - Blurry

Tom Stian

Hello

I have always used 2x SSAA + FXAA for HDR settings.

But, specially, at nighttime the instruments looks blurry. So I tried out 4x SSAA and everything got crystal clear. But it will of course hit a bit on the framerate.
Im not 100% sure, but is the IXEG 733 more affected by the HDR setting than "other" aircrafts ?

And is there anyway to tweak the 2x SSAA + FXAA to make it more clear via Nvidia Control Panel or something?

What are you guys using ? :)

My setup is 

GPU: 980Ti
CPU: i7 4790

Click on the images to see the difference better.

2x SSAA + FXAA (daytime)

AahSb6U.jpg

4x SSAA (daytime)

gQ11JKa.jpg

2x SSAA + FXAA (night)

K1y6QkP.png

4x SSAA (night)

3CCiiMu.png

Edited by Tom Stian
  • Upvote 1

I also have to use  2x SSAA + FXAA  for fps reasons but after using it for such a long time I just got used to the blurriness, I dont know why they dont give us  2x AA without the FXAA as an option, also as far as i know the nvidia control panel has no effect on the Anti Aliasing settings to xplane (I could be wrong) B733_355.png

B733_363.png

Edited by faizan445
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, faizan445 said:

I also have to use  2x SSAA + FXAA  for fps reasons but after using it for such a long time I just got used to the blurriness, I dont know why they dont give us  2x AA without the FXAA as an option, also as far as i know the nvidia control panel has no effect on the Anti Aliasing settings to xplane (I could be wrong)

Yeah I always wondered why 2x didn't have an option without the FXAA.

• Upvote 1

You could give DSR through nvidia control panel a try. There you can set a higher "virtual" resolution which then gets downsampled to your screens native res. DSR has two options, the multiplier and a smoothness factor. If you set the multiplier to 4x, you can choose a resolution of 3840x2160 in X-Plane (given that you are using a 1920x1080 screen), and X-Plane will render the sim with this resolution, while the driver will do the downsamling to the native screen resolution.

Playing with the smoothness factor will give you additional control. I wouldn't recommend a good value here, because it depends on your system (especially the monitor) and your taste. Some set it as low as 0%, others prefer something between 20 and 30%.

This can be combined with X-Planes AA, but of course using DSR in combination with X-Planes SSAA will put a high load on the GPU.

Also X-Planes menus will be displayed smaller when using DSR.

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Ill stick to 4x SSAA for now. The FXAA is too blurry for me. :/
Im running X-plane at 1440p and get some stuttering at detailed and mesh'y areas with 4x SSAA.
Waiting for the Intel gen 7 before ill do any CPU upgrades.

And yeah. 2x SSAA would maybe be the "perfect" setting if it existed.

• Upvote 2