SkyMaxx Pro 3.2 crashes X-Plane

RLBrooks

4 hours ago, trickydicky79 said:

Is there a fix on the way? If not, then the plugin is useless

Short answer: no, there is nothing for us to fix. I think your photoscenery is just causing you to run out of memory. Try temporarily removing it, and I bet things become a lot more stable.

Longer answer: If SkyMaxx Pro were directly responsible for your crash, your log would clearly state at the end that the crash was caused by SkyMaxx Pro. Just because something is the last thing to write to your log does not necessarily mean that it caused your crash. What I think happened is that new weather conditions  were successfully processed by SkyMaxx Pro, but as you were running on the edge of your system's resources, some subsequent request (perhaps for a new scenery tile) exhausted your memory and led to a crash. I see you're using photoscenery, which can eat up memory VERY quickly - so that's my prime suspect.

I also see a bunch of weird SASL errors in your log, so if a newer version of your aircraft is available, upgrading to it is also advised.

Frank, Thanks For your response. Yes I need some help! I am about ready to give up on SMP / WC. I re-download both SMP/WC. (used up all my downloads). Add and remove plugins / scenery. So far nothing I have done has worked. It's probably something simple to fix but I have no clue what that is... All I can be sure of is that SMP worked fine before the update and WC was installed. I would like to get this resolved.   

3 minutes ago, john643 said:

Frank, Thanks For your response. Yes I need some help! I am about ready to give up on SMP / WC. I re-download both SMP/WC. (used up all my downloads). Add and remove plugins / scenery. So far nothing I have done has worked. It's probably something simple to fix but I have no clue what that is... All I can be sure of is that SMP worked fine before the update and WC was installed. I would like to get this resolved.   

Looking at your log, I see you've got HD Mesh, a lot of custom scenery, a complex third party aircraft, and several other plugins installed in addition to SMP/RWC. I think you're simply demanding too much from the resources your PC has, and it's running out of  memory as a result. SMP isn't really the cause of the issue; you just have too much stuff installed and SMP may be pushing your system over the edge.

Try temporarily removing HD Mesh and I bet things work a lot better. If not, try removing your custom scenery - then try using a default aircraft. I'm afraid your PC just can't handle all of these add-ons at once, and you'll have to choose which one(s) to remove.

6 hours ago, john643 said:

Update, I deleted WC and Left SMP installed. X-Plane is now stable. No Crash... I guess we need to focus on WC?

The last log you sent shows that HD mesh is still installed, at least partially. And it still does not indicate that SMP or RWC was responsible for your crash; rather, your log is still consistent with a computer that's running out of memory.

I think it  might be time for you to start with a plain vanilla installation of X-Plane and work your way up.

Edited by sundog
  • Upvote 1

Hiya's,

Frank's right about that, been there done that got the T-Shirt err crash i mean lol

Start vanilla

Add the HD v3 Mesh, and here's a tip, this is my vanilla but with added mesh v3  ............

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EBBR Brussels/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDDF Frankfurt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDDT Berlin Tegel/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDLP Paderborn-Lippstadt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGBB Birmingham/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGKK London-Gatwick/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGLL Heathrow/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGPF Glasgow/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGSS London-Stansted/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LEBL Barcelona/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LEMD Madrid/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFPG Paris CDG/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LPFR Faro/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LSGG Genf/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LOWI Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFMN Nice Cote d Azur X/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFPO Paris Orly/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Global Airports/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KSEA Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KSEA Demo Terrain/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z Treelines_Farms_Europe_v2/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zz Treelines_Farms_North_America_v2/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zzz Treelines_Japan_v2/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zzzz_new_zealand/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zzzzz_new_zealand_overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zzzzzz_hd_global_scenery3/

Even on beta2 no problems thus far !

From there, only way i can think without searching is for scenery, spawn at a field, see if it's bare, if so note it down, do this for all your airport/addons you already have at your disposal, to see which new fields etc have been added into the globals (easiest way i can think of explaining or even doing it i think)

Also another tip for your INI, don't be afraid to of adding an x and other letters/numbers to make something go to the correct ini location, i use the letters AA for my airports eg : AA EGCC Manchester, takes a while renaming if you have lots to do, but it makes life easier later ..........

Also for plugins i use the letter M, coupled with numbers eg : M 1 OpenSceneryX or M ruscenery you can easy make yout ini perfect

Also, note down the libraries needed as you add airports etc, it's easy to get lost in the clag of installing many at a time, then having to find a problem as you may of missed a single library

I will add an ini i was using, a pic speaks a thousand words, may help you and others, i think i've got most in the correct placings now, but adding certain items means others after reading up might need them moving ! lol

And the Best Part of doing this simply lettering/numbering ini system is ...................................

When you add say KLAX as AA KLAX Los Angeles, no need to mess n move the newly added file, simply backup your last ini, delete/remove your ini in custom folder, fire up the sim, hey presto, your ini is now all sorted, i find it so easy, but the initial work/renaming is a pita if you have loads to do, but once on top of it, man, it's a doddle :)

Hope this helps in some way

Have Fun

Tony

scenery_packs.ini

Just had the same issue with CTD, restarted, CTD, checked the log and seems to have coughed on the METAR data, turned off real weather from opening screen and Xplane loads if I turn real weather back on and download current weather CTD, I'm thinking bad METAR data currently?

If it were bad METAR data, the log would clearly state at the end that the crash was caused by Skymaxx Pro (and there would also be a massive uproar from the thousands of other customers affected!). What you're describing sounds more like you're running out of system resources, or a video driver crash.  I'd have to see your log to be sure.

Unfortunately I didn't grab the log from the initial CTD, the subsequent logs before and after a reboot were hanging on parsing METAR data, once I turned off real weather the problem stopped. Later in the day I turned real weather back on and no issues, I'll be sure to grab the log if there is a next time. 

I'm running a 980ti and the only problem I have run into is a drop in frames occasionally and if I go to the settings menu in SMP and change the cloud cover area either up or down video memory usage decreases and my frame rate picks back up.

nVid driver 355.82

Also I am running SMP 3.2, RWC, HD mesh, RTH

Thanks,
Phlash

Edited by Phlash

Phlash, what you are describing sounds exactly like a system that is almost out of memory. HD Mesh in particular can consume huge amounts of it.

Your need to adjust settings in SMP is only a symptom of this larger problem. When you cause SMP to recreate its clouds by adjusting its cloud draw area, it is probably just de-fragmenting enough memory for your system to scrape by a little bit longer. Fundamentally, you are running more add-ons than your system can handle, and you will have to choose which ones to keep.

I can't say this enough: just because something was the last thing to write into your log doesn't mean it was responsible for a crash. A plugin that directly causes a crash will cause X-Plane to log a very clear message that the crash was caused by that plugin; otherwise, you're probably looking at memory exhaustion, some sort of memory corruption from any of your other add-ons, or a driver error.  I'm seriously considering disabling all log messages in our next release since it causes so much confusion.

Edited by sundog

" ...there is nothing for us to fix. I think your photoscenery is just causing you to run out of memory. Try temporarily removing it, and I bet things become a lot more stable"

Can I be clear that when you say your system is running out of memory are you referring to system RAM? Its just, my setup has 32gb of RAM, and uses nowhere near the full amount. If you're referring to VRAM, then am I correct in thinking if you run out it wouldn't cause a system crash, but suddenly cause a big frame rate drop as the computer has to use system RAM as an overflow (non-technical explanation I know!)? That said, I feel this is also unlikely in my case, I adjust my settings to try and keep around 500mb of VRAM free, to allow the variation in demand during flight, and my crashes have happened with no prior warning or noticeable performance settings. The only common denominator is that they happen with RWC enabled.

I have tried as you advised with removing photoscenery, and didn't suffer any crashes yet, but then I have ran with RWC without crashes several times too. It is the unpredictable nature of the problem that makes it difficult to diagnose I suppose. 

It can be either VRAM or RAM; either case can lead to instability. In the case of VRAM running low, it can cause your video driver to start swapping memory, and the delays that result can cause driver time-outs that then lead to a crash. In extreme situations, it can create a situation where X-Plane tries to allocate memory for new terrain you're flying into, and the driver says "I can't do it" which can also lead to a crash.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had 4++ crashes and thought it was x plane but come to find, SMP is crashing. Here is the log txt after the box stating X plane is shutting down. I finnally decided to post it here. SMP update to 3.2.1 is the only and last update I have done. see below.

SkyMaxx Pro: Location set to lat 34.797718 lon -82.967560 alt 9720.639130
0:39:51.255 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KPDK!
CurFlow: AUTOGEN: South NewFlow: AUTOGEN: West
0:39:51.255 I/ATC: Changing KPDK CabState from 0 to 1
0:39:51.255 I/ATC: All departures are done at KPDK. Advancing...
0:39:51.255 I/ATC: Changing KPDK CabState from 1 to 2
0:39:51.255 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KPDK. Advancing...
0:39:51.255 I/ATC: Changing KPDK CabState from 2 to 0
0:39:51.546 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KGMU!
0:39:51.546 I/ATC: Changing KGMU CabState from 0 to 1
0:39:51.546 I/ATC: All departures are done at KGMU. Advancing...
0:39:51.546 I/ATC: Changing KGMU CabState from 1 to 2
0:39:51.546 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KGMU. Advancing...
0:39:51.546 I/ATC: Changing KGMU CabState from 2 to 0
0:39:58.554 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KRYY!
0:39:58.554 I/ATC: Changing KRYY CabState from 0 to 1
0:39:58.554 I/ATC: All departures are done at KRYY. Advancing...
0:39:58.554 I/ATC: Changing KRYY CabState from 1 to 2
0:39:58.554 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KRYY. Advancing...
0:39:58.554 I/ATC: Changing KRYY CabState from 2 to 0
0:40:10.528 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KAVL!
0:40:10.528 I/ATC: Changing KAVL CabState from 0 to 1
0:40:10.528 I/ATC: All departures are done at KAVL. Advancing...
0:40:10.528 I/ATC: Changing KAVL CabState from 1 to 2
0:40:10.528 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KAVL. Advancing...
0:40:10.528 I/ATC: Changing KAVL CabState from 2 to 0
0:40:14.063 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KAHN!
0:40:14.063 I/ATC: Changing KAHN CabState from 0 to 1
0:40:14.063 I/ATC: All departures are done at KAHN. Advancing...
0:40:14.063 I/ATC: Changing KAHN CabState from 1 to 2
0:40:14.063 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KAHN. Advancing...
0:40:14.063 I/ATC: Changing KAHN CabState from 2 to 0
0:40:19.259 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KGYH!
0:40:19.259 I/ATC: Changing KGYH CabState from 0 to 1
0:40:19.259 I/ATC: All departures are done at KGYH. Advancing...
0:40:19.259 I/ATC: Changing KGYH CabState from 1 to 2
0:40:19.259 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KGYH. Advancing...
0:40:19.259 I/ATC: Changing KGYH CabState from 2 to 0
0:40:19.331 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KGSP!
0:40:19.331 I/ATC: Changing KGSP CabState from 0 to 1
0:40:19.331 I/ATC: All departures are done at KGSP. Advancing...
0:40:19.331 I/ATC: Changing KGSP CabState from 1 to 2
0:40:19.331 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KGSP. Advancing...
0:40:19.331 I/ATC: Changing KGSP CabState from 2 to 0
0:40:23.809 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KMGE!
0:40:23.809 I/ATC: Changing KMGE CabState from 0 to 1
0:40:23.809 I/ATC: All departures are done at KMGE. Advancing...
0:40:23.809 I/ATC: Changing KMGE CabState from 1 to 2
0:40:23.809 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KMGE. Advancing...
0:40:23.809 I/ATC: Changing KMGE CabState from 2 to 0
0:40:23.851 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KLZU!
0:40:23.851 I/ATC: Changing KLZU CabState from 0 to 1
0:40:23.851 I/ATC: All departures are done at KLZU. Advancing...
0:40:23.851 I/ATC: Changing KLZU CabState from 1 to 2
0:40:23.851 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KLZU. Advancing...
0:40:23.851 I/ATC: Changing KLZU CabState from 2 to 0
SkyMaxx Pro: Coordinate system changed; repositioning cloud layers.
0:42:29.201 I/SCN: DSF load time: 112349 for file Custom Scenery/w2xp_America/Earth nav data/+30-090/+33-086.dsf (0 tris)
0:42:29.353 I/SCN: DSF load time: 170520 for file Custom Scenery/w2xp_America/Earth nav data/+30-090/+35-086.dsf (0 tris)
0:42:29.353 I/SCN: DSF load time: 207836 for file Custom Scenery/zzz_Treelines_Farms_North_America_v2/Earth nav data/+30-090/+33-086.dsf (0 tris)
0:42:29.489 I/SCN: DSF load time: 129315 for file Custom Scenery/zzz_Treelines_Farms_North_America_v2/Earth nav data/+30-090/+35-086.dsf (0 tris)
0:42:33.024 I/SCN: DSF load time: 3538874 for file Global Scenery/X-Plane 10 Global Scenery/Earth nav data/+30-090/+35-086.dsf (196151 tris)
0:42:34.223 I/SCN: DSF load time: 4754866 for file Global Scenery/X-Plane 10 Global Scenery/Earth nav data/+30-090/+33-086.dsf (256551 tris)
0:42:36.281 I/SCN: DSF load time: 2387 for file Custom Scenery/Alabama/Earth nav data/+30-090/+34-086.dsf (0 tris)
0:42:36.353 I/SCN: DSF load time: 89176 for file Custom Scenery/w2xp_America/Earth nav data/+30-090/+34-086.dsf (0 tris)
0:42:36.383 I/SCN: DSF load time: 880 for file Custom Scenery/Global Airports/Earth nav data/+30-090/+34-086.dsf (0 tris)
0:42:36.603 I/SCN: DSF load time: 213953 for file Custom Scenery/zzz_Treelines_Farms_North_America_v2/Earth nav data/+30-090/+34-086.dsf (0 tris)
0:42:40.823 I/SCN: DSF load time: 4226325 for file Global Scenery/Recuts 1030/Earth nav data/+30-090/+34-086.dsf (267776 tris)
SkyMaxx Pro: Coordinate system changed; repositioning cloud layers.

I highly suspect you are pushing your system over its limits, the addition of SMP is just the final nail in the coffin....

SMP did not crash x-plane, additionally that small snippet from the log doesn't even indicate a crash...... 

Now that's not to say you do not have an issue but we need all information available in your log in order to give you some proper direction...

• Upvote 1

Actually no, my FPS was at 35-40 and rendering options were around 1038 with 2VRAM and my cloud settings within x plane were at 10% and within SMP no shadows, no lens flare, no terrain blending, clouds set for 10000 km with about 430 mb of memory at the top with 1 VRAM left over. Also I have set level 3 for cirrus clouds and they are set to medium.

Don't get me wrong, I love SMP but something just seems off that I go back and forth with no crash issues then I updated to 3.2.1 and it crashes very often now. It usually says in brackets either x plane caused the crash or SMP. I agree it did not this time and more times then not it doesn't but.....SMP is always the last line trying to do something as it crashes.

If you have a log that indicates SMP was responsible for a crash we definitely want to see it. But in either case, we will need to see your complete log.txt to understand what's going on.

How are you measuring your free VRAM? You should be looking at what the SMP config screen displays, or GPU-Z if you don't trust it.

• Upvote 1

JeffLeh, it's your log.txt we asked to see - but there's good info in the screenshots you provided too. You are in fact perilously low on VRAM (only about 200MB left), and some of your rendering settings are probably to blame. I don't think you can expect a GTX 765M to run reliably with "extreme" settings and also a cranked up cloud area. If you have custom scenery or HD mesh installed as well, that's making thing even worse.

In short, I'm pretty sure your crashes are due to running out of memory. You're going to have to dial back your settings until you can run reliably.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

@Sundog. Again love your product and you asked that I send you a copy of my log text if it shows Skymaxx crashed the sim. Here is a little of it and I will attach the entire log for you.

SkyMaxx Pro: Raised stratus layer to avoid a layer collision.
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KCMI!
CurFlow: AUTOGEN: East NewFlow: AUTOGEN: South
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KCMI CabState from 0 to 1
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All departures are done at KCMI. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KCMI CabState from 1 to 2
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KCMI. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KCMI CabState from 2 to 0
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KARR!
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KARR CabState from 0 to 1
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All departures are done at KARR. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KARR CabState from 1 to 2
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KARR. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KARR CabState from 2 to 0
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KCGX!
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KCGX CabState from 0 to 1
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All departures are done at KCGX. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KCGX CabState from 1 to 2
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KCGX. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KCGX CabState from 2 to 0
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KBMI!
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KBMI CabState from 0 to 1
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All departures are done at KBMI. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KBMI CabState from 1 to 2
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KBMI. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KBMI CabState from 2 to 0
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KPWK!
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KPWK CabState from 0 to 1
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All departures are done at KPWK. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KPWK CabState from 1 to 2
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KPWK. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KPWK CabState from 2 to 0
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KMDW!
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KMDW CabState from 0 to 1
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All departures are done at KMDW. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KMDW CabState from 1 to 2
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KMDW. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KMDW CabState from 2 to 0
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KIKK!
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KIKK CabState from 0 to 1
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All departures are done at KIKK. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KIKK CabState from 1 to 2
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KIKK. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KIKK CabState from 2 to 0
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KLAF!
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KLAF CabState from 0 to 1
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All departures are done at KLAF. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KLAF CabState from 1 to 2
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KLAF. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KLAF CabState from 2 to 0
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KDPA!
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KDPA CabState from 0 to 1
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All departures are done at KDPA. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KDPA CabState from 1 to 2
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KDPA. Advancing...
0:06:17.302 I/ATC: Changing KDPA CabState from 2 to 0
0:07:19.084 I/ATC: Airport flow changed at KORD!
CurFlow: East flow (low vis) NewFlow: West flow (low vis)
0:07:19.084 I/ATC: Changing KORD CabState from 0 to 1
0:07:19.084 I/ATC: All departures are done at KORD. Advancing...
0:07:19.084 I/ATC: Changing KORD CabState from 1 to 2
0:07:19.084 I/ATC: All arrivals are done at KORD. Advancing...
0:07:19.084 I/ATC: Changing KORD CabState from 2 to 0
[SASL DEBUG] 08/15/16 17:48:04    ---------------------------
[SASL DEBUG] 08/15/16 17:48:04    Refreshing cache 1
[SASL DEBUG] 08/15/16 17:48:04    Refreshing cache 2
[SASL DEBUG] 08/15/16 17:48:04    Refreshing cache 3
[SASL DEBUG] 08/15/16 17:48:04    Refreshing cache 4
SkyMaxx Pro: Found new METAR.rwx file
SkyMaxx Pro: Parsing METAR data
--=={This application has crashed because of the plugin: SkyMaxx Pro}==--

log for skymaxx crash.docx

• Upvote 1