SkyMaxx Pro 3.2 crashes X-Plane

RLBrooks

I re-installed SMP V3.2 when I tried to re-install RWC 1.0,  I get a message you need to update SMP to Version 3.2. I remove both programs because X-plane would not start and crash. Log states caused by SMP v3.2 

Re-installing SMP, X-plane now works. Why is RWC not recognizing SMP v3.2?

5 hours ago, john643 said:

I re-installed SMP V3.2 when I tried to re-install RWC 1.0,  I get a message you need to update SMP to Version 3.2. I remove both programs because X-plane would not start and crash. Log states caused by SMP v3.2 

Re-installing SMP, X-plane now works. Why is RWC not recognizing SMP v3.2?

This has been covered numerous times now in the forums. You need to re-download RWC.

John,

I might of misread/mis-absorbed but i think i came across a post that mentioned clicking another option first (not flying at the mo so can't rem the wording)

Then i think clicking back to Always

For my crash in x-plane, i think i redid smp and rwc (i'm on very strong tramadol painkillers at the moment and honest they really numb my thinking :( )

I'll fire up the sim and also check if i had to remove a plugin

Tony

Edit : Checked plugins, non removed, so my crash was sorted by reinstall of both, but i hadn't run smp+rwc+noaa for a while as i was tidying up my sceneries and plugins

Edit #2 : I had removed plugin Auto Gate 1.71  Again, i can't remember if it was deffo before my crash lol

Edit #3 : John, start from page 1 on this thread, read down some, maybe your answer's in the info some guys give

Edited by Defiance_co
added text

4 hours ago, john643 said:

Okay, And thanks for the reply. I re download RWC and it works except for now when I click the Always box X-plane crashes. Is there a fix for that?

If this is still happening, please send us your log.txt so we can see what happened on your system.

I don't get! For the last three days I have had nothing but problems with SMP and RWC crashing X-Plane. Today turn on X-plane click on Always in RWC and it works. Very Strange... I changed nothing.

Just so you know, I only use EFASS, SMP and RWC. I don't use NOAA or Squawk box..... I am Attaching my Log for your review anyway. If you see a possible conflict with SMP ? RWC Please let me know..

Thanks for being there..

John

Log.txt

7 hours ago, john643 said:

I don't get! For the last three days I have had nothing but problems with SMP and RWC crashing X-Plane. Today turn on X-plane click on Always in RWC and it works. Very Strange... I changed nothing.

Just so you know, I only use EFASS, SMP and RWC. I don't use NOAA or Squawk box..... I am Attaching my Log for your review anyway. If you see a possible conflict with SMP ? RWC Please let me know..

Thanks for being there..

John

Log.txt

I don't see any outright known conflicts indicated in your log, but I do see you've got a bunch of custom scenery and a third party plane going on. I wonder if your system was just running out of VRAM when flying into bad weather; that's the most common situation that leads to a crash. You might want to check your free VRAM reported in the SMP configuration screen, and turn down SMP's cloud draw area setting if necessary. Anything less than a few hundred MB of free VRAM can be cutting it too close.

Thanks for your comments. My VRAM is 4gb, and ram memory 32gb. I will as you suggest verify my VRAM usage..Good idea.  Keep in mind Xplane would crash at start-up. Log at that time would list SMP as the reason. I don't know why but ail of a sudden it started to work... I had a good flight day yesterday, no crash...

Again, Thank You!

2 hours ago, john643 said:

Thanks for your comments. My VRAM is 4gb, and ram memory 32gb. I will as you suggest verify my VRAM usage..Good idea.  Keep in mind Xplane would crash at start-up. Log at that time would list SMP as the reason. I don't know why but ail of a sudden it started to work... I had a good flight day yesterday, no crash...

Again, Thank You!

Well, there was a one-hour window a few days ago where some unexpected METAR data was being published by NOAA that resulted in SMP + RWC crashing on startup. I wonder if you just ran into that by chance.

I think there still errors or bad data with NOAA metars.  Since v 3.2, I had to disable download real weather (xplane) and uninstall NOAA plugin.

I usually fly in South America (Argentina), maybe the NOAA metars for this region had some errors.

Xplane crashes, and always the las log line was "reading metar"

2 hours ago, JotaChenko said:

I think there still errors or bad data with NOAA metars.  Since v 3.2, I had to disable download real weather (xplane) and uninstall NOAA plugin.

I usually fly in South America (Argentina), maybe the NOAA metars for this region had some errors.

Xplane crashes, and always the las log line was "reading metar"

Different issue I think. If it were bad METAR data, it would crash for everyone at startup regardless of where they are flying, and the log would indicate clearly that the crash happened in the SkyMaxx Pro plugin.

What you're describing sounds more like you're running out of memory. Try turning down your cloud draw area, or if you can trim some of your custom scenery or dial down some rendering options, that can help too.

1 hour ago, sundog said:

Different issue I think. If it were bad METAR data, it would crash for everyone at startup regardless of where they are flying, and the log would indicate clearly that the crash happened in the SkyMaxx Pro plugin.

What you're describing sounds more like you're running out of memory. Try turning down your cloud draw area, or if you can trim some of your custom scenery or dial down some rendering options, that can help too.

Not a memory problem. I have 4 Gb VRAM, and more than 2 free (now I'm flying with overcast, 1.1 Gb VRAM free and 9GB system ram free), I run default skymax settings, plus fast clouds and low res cirrus.  I also experimented the crash when I change RWC options.

12 hours ago, JotaChenko said:

Not a memory problem. I have 4 Gb VRAM, and more than 2 free (now I'm flying with overcast, 1.1 Gb VRAM free and 9GB system ram free), I run default skymax settings, plus fast clouds and low res cirrus.  I also experimented the crash when I change RWC options.

How are you measuring your VRAM usage? Make sure you're looking at what the SMP configuration screen reports, not what X-Plane's rendering option screen reports. GPU-Z can also give you an accurate measurement.

Make sure you have the option to "never change weather" active in RWC. And, double check that your SMP configuration screen indicates version 3.2 - you may need to re-install if not.

If trouble persists, please post your log.txt file following the crash so we can get a better idea of what's going on with your system and setup.

mmmhhhh .... last night I had no problems.  I checked and SMP configuration screen shows ver. 3.2 and I was able to change RWC setup from automatic to always and could use NOAA plugin.  Started with clear sky at SAOU and landed with overcast at SAMR.

If the problem shows up again, I'll post my logs.

Hi,

I am sorry having to say that the story of crashes has not come to an end for me yet.

After about 20 crashes using Skymaxx Pro 3.2 and the latest version of RWC I tried stepping back to Skymaxx Pro 3.1.2. Hoping that this will do the trick I was just camping at a gate of KBOS when X-Plane 10.45 crashed again - even with version 3.1.2. The log clearly stated that it was Skymaxx Pro that crashed the SIM to desktop.

I also use the combo of NOAA plug-in, SMP, RWC and XSquawkbox (latest version).

I will now try SMP 3.2 with NOAA and without RWC - no idea if this will bring back stability. I am really running out of ideas.

I have filed several reports to Sundog via the support feature and via e-mail and sadly did not get any feed back yet - beside the question if all trouble started after installing my Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080. To also answer that question again: The GTX 1080 is still brand new but I did more than a dozen of long hauls using it without any issues. All my trouble came with RWC and SMP 3.2.

Now since RWC and SMP 3.1.2 also turned out to crash my X-Plane, I have no clue what to do.

I have attached two logs for SMP 3.2 crashes and one log with the latest SMP 3.1.2 crash.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Marc

00 - SMP 3.2 - Log.txt

01 - SMP 3.2 - Log.txt

02 - SMP 3.1.2 - Log.txt

Edited by DLH560

You should be filing support tickets with X-Aviation, not Sundog. Sundog doesn't even have a ticket system, so I'm not sure where you sent your reports originally!

Your logs for SMP 3.2 are from June 9; there was a known issue for one hour during June 9 where NOAA was issuing METAR data that caused RWC to crash on startup. The following hour's METAR data cleared this up, and as far as I know it has not happened again.

If you're still experiencing crashes, please send more recent log files for us to look at (I suspect they won't indicate SMP is responsible)

Hi,

I logged in to X-Aviation using the dedicated support form and filed all data. Cameron then asked me about my graphics card via e-mail and I replied to his mail - without any further answer. I sent more log files over the time and reported all findings I collected over the time - still no reply.

I refiled my latest findings via the dedicated support form again - no reply. Therefore I registered to this forum and filed my logs again - including a log that was less than 60min old when I posted my report. Yes, my latest log shows SMP 3.1.2 instead of 3.2. As I said before, I am stilling having the problems. Without any reply I obviously need to try to help myself. This why I continue testing. I thought it might be of help to provide as much information as possible. Currently I am testing SMP 3.2 without RWC. At present it seems to work, but I just departed 30min ago. As I prefere long hauls I need to wait until I a have landed in about 11 hours to know more.

I am sorry that you don't believe me that I filed all data the way X-Aviation indicates to be correctly, but that's what I did. And since Cameron gave an initial reaction on my graphics card (I also stated that in my original post), I felt quite certain that I did the right thing.

If X-Plane crashes again the next time I reactivate RWC, I will file another log. But the final actions before crash are always METAR parsing - even the one with SMP 3.1.2.

Since SMP 3.2 was discussed to have the problem I thought it might be of value to know that also version 3.1.2 has the problem - obviously you are not interested in it.

Regards,

Marc

Edit: Crash again! But now it was different:

• SMP 3.2 used
  • RWC deactivated (folder moved away from -Plane installation)
  • final activity before crash by SMP but no clear statement that SMP actually caused it
  • crash to desktop over the atlantic ocean - more about 1000nm away from any default or custom scenery

Log.txt

Edited by DLH560

DLH560,

Just a thought ...........

When i fubared my smp up (used my 3 slots)

I used the dedicated form, i didn't get a ticket # that way

So i used a standard email and almost instantly i got a ticket #

Try sending the info via good old email .........

support@x-aviation.com

Tony

Edited by Defiance_co
added text

Hi Tony,

This is what I did when I replied to Cameron's initial reaction on my graphics card - no reply yet.

After X-Plane crashed again (see my post above) I now do a flight without SMP and RWC. I must admit that the clouds look less beautiful (but not ugly). On the other hand my FPS rate went up significantly! I always thought SMP would increase the FPS rate over default. Now I have the proof that this is totally wrong. The default clouds (set to 60) show about 8 to 40 (!) frames more than SMP 3.2. SMP 3.2 was set to crisp textures and 4096 square miles.

The extra performance boost by default clouds is a nice compensation over the beauty of SMP. If this flight will run stable I will continue testing without SMP (and maybe quit SMP until some more stable version shows up).

Regards,

Marc

Edited by DLH560

Marc, I wasn't accusing you of anything. Just trying to understand where you filed your original support request as I was afraid you were trying to contact Sundog directly instead of X-Aviation.

Looking at your latest log, it does not indicate that SMP or RWC was responsible for your crash. However, I see you've got a lot of custom scenery and I believe HD Mesh installed, along with a complex third-party aircraft and non-default SMP settings. I think it's a safe bet that you're simply demanding too much from your system; you are probably running out of memory which is what is causing your crash. SMP may be the "straw that broke the camel's back" so to speak. I know it may seem unbelievable that you can install more add-ons than even a GTX1080 can handle, but you can.

My advice would be to temporarily remove your high-definition scenery and see if that helps. I bet it does. Also,  make sure you are using the latest version of your aircraft. Turning down the cloud draw area setting in SMP may also be necessary.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your kind reply. Yesterday I tested a long haul without SMP and RWC at all. After about 7 hours of flight the whole PC crashed with a blue screen - never had that before. I tested a lot and also figured out that the terrain radar data of the Flight Factor 767 was corrupted. Obviously there are several problems I need to solve.

Concerning the memory usage of the graphics card: Camping at Mr.X6's KBOS scenery and running my setup, the VRAM (checked via SkymaxxPro) was already eating 6.9GB - just 1.1GB left. And checking those 6.9GB, HD-Mesh and UHD-Mesh have already been removed from the system. Removing SMP and RWC, the VRAM usage was still at 6.5GB.

I just wonder that all my crashes occur over the atlantic ocean when no scenery needs to be drawn. My next test flight will be with reduced shadow effects ("3D on aircraft" instead of "melt your GPU"). Camping at the gate, my FPS went up from about 43 to 48 at the worst angle of view. I did not consider any performance issues so far but maybe the whole system gets unstable. However reducing the shadows has no impact to VRAM. Changing HDR AA from 4x FSAA + FXAA to 2x FSAA + FXAA has no impact at all to FPS - no idea if it would increase stability.

Killing the HD sceneries would be a terrible step that I try to avoid - it is just too nice to be awarded for a long haul with a beatiful scenic view upon arrival. But what I do not know is if i.e. a bunch of HD airports in Europe will have an impact to the system when flying inside i.e. US airspace. If this would be the case I could easily swap the respective files. But on the other hand the default scenery list is growing too - update by update. This then would have some impact too - is that true?

I really love the SMP and RWC clouds and look forward to using them again. But at the default 2500 square miles I hardly see any clouds at FL380.

Before my series of crashes started, I testet SMP and RWY with the cloud range totally maxed out and had some stutters. Reducing them step by step to 14000 square miles all stutters have gone and the system was rock stable. Then the first crash started out of a sudden and I reduced the SMP cloud range to 4096 square miles at stable 55 to 60FPS when airborne - it crashed again.

Also I thought that if the PC is running out of VRAM, it would grab some RAM (at lower FPS rate). 64GB should be quite some help here. Obviously I was wrong here - the graphics card seems to be dependent on its own VRAM.

I never had these problems before and this is what really drives me crazy.

I'll keep on testing. Thanks for your feed back!

Regards

Marc

I still get the occasional crash - always due to:

SkyMaxx Pro: Found new METAR.rwx file
SkyMaxx Pro: Parsing METAR data
SkyMaxx Pro: METAR parsing took 357 ms.

I'm far from expert at this, but I assume the above from the log file is when new weather data is downloaded - seems to be the cause of all me earlier crashes? Everything runs fine when RWC is disabled.

For now, I will just continue without using the plugin as the crashes can occur at random and can either prevent XP from loading or cause a crash to black screen if it occurs during flight (unrecoverable without a system power-off/restart)

Is there a fix on the way? If not, then the plugin is useless

Log.txt