Turn-around panel state (Startup Options)

daombre

Hi guys,

I haven't found a post about this so I will do it. I think some of the switches on the overhead panel aren't as they would usually be on a turn-around. I'll try to list them as they are and how they should be (referring to my knowledge and the FCOM after the shutdown procedure)

• FUEL PUMPS: FWD and AFT are all ON -> only left FWD is usually used for the APU and in the ON position; others should be OFF
  • WINDOW HEAT: all switches are OFF -> they should be all ON
  • HYDRAULICS: they are all ON -> ELEC 2 and ELEC 1 should be OFF
  • AIR CONDITIONING: 
    • PACKS: they are OFF -> they should be ON
    • ISOLATION VALVE: is AUTO -> might be OPEN (but this could be an airline procedure thing or perhaps this is just different in the classic than in the NG)
  • POSITION LIGHTS: they are OFF -> should be ON
  • ENGINE START IGNITION SWITCH: is in the BOTH position -> would usually be in the last used position which is usually IGN L or IGN R (as far as I know ;))
  • MCP - IAS/MACH: is on the last set value -> would be in 110 (but thats not an issue for me because if you do park your aircraft correctly it will be correct; so perhaps just disregard that ;))

Thats so far what I noticed from my limited experience. ;)

Thank you for your efforts!

Julian

Edited by daombre
Corrected mistype in title

2 hours ago, Litjan said:

Hi,

this would depend on the airlines procedures, and most stuff you mentioned was not handled that way when I flew the 737.

Jan

I would add to this list that shouldn't the parking brake be set?  It's not on turnaround state.

Hi guys,

back at home. The turnaround state is configured in the way we did it with my airline when I used to fly the 737.

Fuel pumps are ON (they will only be turned off when leaving the airplane)

Window heat is OFF (this is part of the parking items)

Hydraulics are ON (they will be left ON all day long, because every time you depressurize a system, you would need a ground-hydraulic-clearance to pressurize again)

Air conditioning is AS REQUIRED, Isolation valve will rarely be moved out of AUTO, certainly not as part of normal procedures.

Position lights are AS REQUIRED and certainly OFF during the day.

Ignition switch would be left on L or R, that is correct - but we have to pick something, so BOTH is certainly viable, and if we picked L then we´d get bug reports on almost 50% of all days...

MCP SPD I am not sure - it should be in the last position, unless the plane was unpowered (which it wouldn´t for a normal turnaround).

Parking brake is most likely OFF (with chocks in place) as that allows cooling of the brakes a bit better.

I realize that there may be many different ways to do this - but we had to pick something.

Jan

• Upvote 2

Thanks Jan for this detailed explanation! My knowledge is mostly based on the NG so perhaps some things work differently there. And of course many things will depend on airline procedures.

Now I understand better why everything is as it is! Thanks again for that!

Julian

1 hour ago, daombre said:

Thanks Jan for this detailed explanation! My knowledge is mostly based on the NG so perhaps some things work differently there. And of course many things will depend on airline procedures.

Now I understand better why everything is as it is! Thanks again for that!

Julian

No problem - they do change these things all the time, too. One example is the fuel pumps. On the Airbus I fly they recently decided to turn those OFF during transit - because they draw a lot of power and accumulate wear as well - so they figured they can save some lifetime and also gas (if the APU powers the airplane).

Another example is the window heat. It might be feasible to simply let it run - however it adds to the heat in the cockpit, and especially in the summer, every little bit helps (you will find pilots who craft makeshift sunshades out of weight-control folder, magazines, clipboards, etc. to keep as much sun out as possible).

4 hours ago, jailer said:

Are there chocks and I've overlooked them?!  Or are you just referring to real life on this one?

There are no chocks - yet. It is on the list, though - then again, I can see the bug reports from failing to remove them, already :lol:.

The isolation valve is possible different on the NG - where the APU might be strong enough to supply two packs at once - you would need the valve in OPEN for this to work. On the 737 this is not allowed (except when heating, but then its not necessary as the packs are VERY good at heating).

Please keep the feedback and questions coming!

Viele Grüße nach München, Jan

• Upvote 2

On 7.6.2016 at 9:47 PM, Litjan said:

Please keep the feedback and questions coming!

Thanks Jan! I started too feel a little bit bad for searching for that hair in that delicious soup and for questioning so many things and how they are done. 

But now I feel encouraged do really get going! :D;) 

Viele Grüße nach München, Jan

Viele Grüße zurück, wohin auch immer! ;)

Julian

• Upvote 1